Soon to be drahthaar owner.

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Soon to be drahthaar owner.

Postby apphunter » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:32 pm

I just wanted to introduce myself and get acquainted with folks. I just put a deposit down on a drahthaar so this spring I'll be a new owner of a versatile hunting dog.

I had dogs growing up but none of them were particularly well trained. I started hunting in college and got a lab shortly after buying my first house about 8 years ago. I trained her myself and she turned out to be a really good pet and a decent hunting dog. All of her deficiencies are definitely my fault and not hers. Well she is getting older and it is time to retire her.

I did a lot of research and selected the drahthaar because it suits they type of hunting I have available to me. I also have a 10 year old boy who I have been getting interested in hunting and fishing without pushing too hard.

I'm really interested in rabbit and squirrel hunting with the drahthaar. They are abundant and it is easier to get permission to hunt those species in my area of NC.

I hunt deer and ducks too and I also love to bird hunt but there isn't many birds around these parts these days.
I have already contacted the local NAVHDA chapter and plan on being involved as much as I can. I'm a cop so I work every other weekend but will make all the training dates I can.

I'm just looking for suggestions on preparation and techniques for training. I'm also curious if any one has any links to essential threads for new versatile dog owners.

Thanks for the help.

JD
apphunter
Pup
Pup

Re: Soon to be drahthaar owner.

Postby oldtimer » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:43 pm

Ask your breeder about training days. He should know. You are about to get the best hunting dog you have ever owned. Congrats!
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby randomnut » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:04 am

Just take the dog hunting, a lot. Good luck.
randomnut
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:43 pm

The Altmoor puppy manual is an essential for new puppy owners, Id purchase a copy now and read it.

A good breeder will be your best resource for the next 2 years. If they don't host training days, they should be able to connect you with a group that does.

Send in your dues to VDD-GNA to start getting quarterly newsletters and access to the members only page with the training day schedule. If you are able, go to a VJP test in your area and watch handlers test. This is a great way to meet future training partners, check out testing grounds and get a feel for the game.

Once you make some connections you will find the breed club, or a local NAVDHA group will be your best resources. At least in my area.

Who are you purchasing a pup from?
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:45 pm

randomnut wrote:Just take the dog hunting, a lot. Good luck.

x2

If he joins the local NC NAVHDA chapter, he'll be told that a LOT!!! The gamers are always training... the hunters are always hunting, and train only when the seasons are closed.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby apphunter » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:33 am

3drahthaars wrote:

x2

If he joins the local NC NAVHDA chapter, he'll be told that a LOT!!! The gamers are always training... the hunters are always hunting, and train only when the seasons are closed.

3ds

that's the plan anyways
apphunter
Pup
Pup

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:42 am

3drahthaars wrote:

x2

3ds

6 months until hunting season. Plenty of time to make connections for next year.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion