CRP

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: CRP

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:03 pm

Ask, can anyone answer my question: why are they allowed to mow them to the ground?
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:58 pm

GH, yes all contracts require maintenance and some allow it to be done by mowing. I had previous contracts on other farms that prescribed either spraying or mowing. My current farm n contract requires food plots and burning and edge feathering.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:07 pm

Kiger2 wrote:The reality is that the government is not paying for the program. The taxpayers are.
Wonder what all of your thoughts are that?

My thought is I am glad to have my taxes used for this purpose. Pheasants would cease to exist without it in SD MO Ks IA
Last edited by AverageGuy on Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:11 pm

GH additionally in droughts CRP can be released for haying but payments are forfeighted. May be what you saw. For contracts requiring mowing every other year the grass cannot be baled or grazed so no double dip. My old farm needed the mowing every other year to control tree sprouts
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:06 pm

Makes sense. Thank you.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:06 pm

deleted
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby carramrod » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:45 pm

AverageGuy wrote:
Kiger2 wrote:The reality is that the government is not paying for the program. The taxpayers are.
Wonder what all of your thoughts are that?

My thought is I am glad to have my taxes used for this purpose. Pheasants would cease to exist without it in SD MO Ks IA

Exactly. Look at Illinois, no CRP, and no birds.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:59 pm

Im just paling devils advocate here.

But a bit of history first.
Years ago Iooked at buying a ranch slash farm in eastern oregon for the purpose of having my own pheasant hunting. I found quite a few where the CRP payments would cover the monthly payments and taxes. Not sure why you would sell a deal like that but they were out there. I just could not come up with enough down.

So again playing devils advocate. With 20 trillion in debt, should providing recreational opportunity to hunt a non native species be a consideration in spending our tax dollars?

Anone know how much federal tax revenue is generated by hunting on CRP in SD?
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby carramrod » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:20 pm

Direct federal dollars, I doubt any. Indirect dollars, I doubt would be easy to find out. When you bring people in from out of state, the local and state benefits directly, the federal benefits from those companies where the money is spent.

Also, it's not only for pheasant hunting. A lot of native species have a place to thrive, and not just birds. A row crop field or cow pasture in the winter doesn't a whole lot of cover or life in them.

As for federal debt and help birds I'd look to cut out ethanol subsidies first.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:25 pm

Kiger2 wrote:Im just paling devils advocate here.

But a bit of history first.
Years ago Iooked at buying a ranch slash farm in eastern oregon for the purpose of having my own pheasant hunting. I found quite a few where the CRP payments would cover the monthly payments and taxes. Not sure why you would sell a deal like that but they were out there. I just could not come up with enough down.

So again playing devils advocate. With 20 trillion in debt, should providing recreational opportunity to hunt a non native species be a consideration in spending our tax dollars?

Anone know how much federal tax revenue is generated by hunting on CRP in SD?

I have owned farms for 26 years and I am a Finance guy. In that time I have never seen a farm sell for a price for which CRP payments would cover the note.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby seank » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:13 pm

A few things about CRP...

First, it was not designed as a program for wildlife habitat. It was intended to reduce soil erosion and improve groundwater infiltration. So generally speaking farmers are more likely to successfully enroll what are referred to as highly erodable lands. Places like Illinois just don't have as much of that as the sandier regions of the plains. So not all states and regions benefit equally from the program.

Second, payments don't always keep up with commodity prices. It frankly does not make economic sense at any price to put much non-irrigated 350 bushel to the acre corn ground in CRP, but more marginal lands may get broken out as commodity prices increase. It may seem counter intuitive to some, but higher payment rates for farmers ultimately means more land for us all to hunt on.

Third, CRP should be managed to make good upland bird habitat. Haying is one of those options, but it's not particularly a good one. Mid-contract management options like prescribed fire and grazing result in better brood and foraging habitat. I frankly wish we could make it easier for farmers to graze their CRP every few years without losing their payments.

Finally, TRCP is a great organization that supports hunters and fishermen. They usually focus on federal land access issues and I am glad to see them work on the CRP issue. Pheasants Forever/Quail Forever is another good organization that lobbies for better USDA programs to support wildlife and hunting. The federal government is run by bean counters and no program survives unless it shows results. These organizations are helping to demonstrate the other benefits of CRP for us hunters, and I think we should all applaud and support them.
seank
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:20 pm

nicely said
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:59 pm

Most of the new contracts do contain a wildlife enhancement objective. My current contract is specifically designed to propagate quail and was made available in an area of the State where the DNR is focusing on restoring quail habitat. And many other new contracts are "pollinator" contracts planting forbs which will attract and promote bees. My fields are a sea of yellow in the late spring when the coreopsis blooms and a constant low hum of bees.

One of the easiest, most effective and beneficial practices is to simply drop a disk in the ground and drive in a long straight line through the CRP field turning over bare dirt which then grows up in weeds. Always a great seed bank of weeds. Weeds attract bugs. It creates brood cover for chicks next to nesting cover. Many contracts in the MW call for strip disking or spraying for this exact purpose and it works very well.

No better place to hunt pheasants exists than tall thick CRP in close proximity to row crops or often with patches of volunteer sunflowers and giant ragweed scattered around in the CRP field. Over 75% of the roosters I shot this season were from CRP and had ragweed in their craw. Been doing it for years that way.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:16 pm

This has been a very informative thread. Great Thread. I've learned more about CRP in this thread than I have ever know. :multi:
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bigearl » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:23 pm

AG you have owned farm land over the years. What exactly do you farm?
Bigearl
Seasoned
Seasoned

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion