Brass on collar

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Brass on collar

Postby ghipes » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:07 am

Both my Draht pup and my old lab seem to have skin issues with the brass name plates. Both develop a mange like symptom where the support rods sit on the next. The skin looses all hair, forms a puss like crust, an stinks. Its only where the brass pins touch the skin. The collar is loose, at least one finger cant fit between the collar and neck. Does anyone else have this issue and what, other than brass can be used? I've seen stainless steel. Thanks.
ghipes
Pup
Pup

Re: Brass on collar

Postby randomnut » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:26 am

Never had that problem. Possible the "rods" you're talking about are just rubbing the skin?
randomnut
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby hicntry » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:27 am

Wet nylon collars is the culprit, not the brass. Causes infections and is pretty stinky. I went to the plastic coated nylon They were pretty cheap at Bill Boatman's when purchased 36 at a time. Boatman died and everyone else is pretty pricey. Why do you think getting one finger under a collar is loose? It is not. Three fingers is the general rule of "thumb."
Last edited by hicntry on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:27 am

xxx
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:19 pm

Agree, the brass is not the problem. Both nylon and leather collars STINK. I get the plastic coated ones from Lion Country and a collar lasts forever. And doesn't smell.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:13 pm

Rolled, leather kennel collar at home.

Either a reflective e-collar or reflective GPS collar in the field (LCS).

My dog actually seems to have a Rx with the e-collar contacts, no matter how snug the collar fit.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ghipes » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely loosen the collar more and checkout a plastic coated collar.
ghipes
Pup
Pup

Postby Jared77 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:38 pm

Take a look at the Leather feel collars by Lion Country Supply.

Put it on my retriever 8 years ago and its held up very well. Has beem n him through HRCH & MH as well as countless hours hunting both waterfowl and grouse.

I won't buy any other brand of collar.
I refuse to tip toe through life only to arrive safely at death
Jared77
Started
Started

Postby TarHeel » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:18 pm

3drahthaars wrote:Rolled, leather kennel collar at home.

My dog actually seems to have a Rx with the e-collar contacts, no matter how snug the collar fit.

3ds

Thanks and hope all is well. I will have my DD pup in one week. :D :D

You referring to this one?

http://www.ecollar.com/e-collar/dog-tra ... ars-detail
TarHeel
Started
Started

Postby 3drahthaars » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:48 am

TarHeel wrote:

3ds

I get most of my stuff from Lion Country Supply... decent prices, EXCELLENT customer service.

If you're inclined to getting a pigeon remote launcher, they bought out INNOTEK. Their transmitters are relatively inexpensive (almost disposable). And, they carry an inventory of spare parts to keep the launchers going forever. I've rebuilt a couple for friends.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JASmith » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:55 pm

I've had good luck with the Biopetcollars place that posts on here now and then. Just ordered a larger size. All 3 of my dogs have them on and they haven't bothered any of their very different skins and coats at all. They are basically the plastic coated nylon others have mentioned here many times. I can't see why they wouldn't last a dogs entire life, unless it never stops growing.
Rock Creek Gooseberry (Rebel)
JASmith
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby TobyTx » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:52 pm

Mine from dogs unlimited have never given my dogs problems.
Cabo vom Sendero vjp 69 hzp np
TobyTx
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby TarHeel » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:12 am

3drahthaars wrote:
TarHeel wrote:

3ds

I get most of my stuff from Lion Country Supply... decent prices, EXCELLENT customer service.

If you're inclined to getting a pigeon remote launcher, they bought out INNOTEK. Their transmitters are relatively inexpensive (almost disposable). And, they carry an inventory of spare parts to keep the launchers going forever. I've rebuilt a couple for friends.
3ds

Wow thanks. No clue how I have missed that website. Ordering their puppy collar and looking at all the other stuff.
TarHeel
Started
Started

Postby Spy Car » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:56 pm

ghipes wrote:Both my Draht pup and my old lab seem to have skin issues with the brass name plates. Both develop a mange like symptom where the support rods sit on the next. The skin looses all hair, forms a puss like crust, an stinks. Its only where the brass pins touch the skin. The collar is loose, at least one finger cant fit between the collar and neck. Does anyone else have this issue and what, other than brass can be used? I've seen stainless steel. Thanks.

Some dogs definitely suffer from contact dermatitis due to specific metals. My Vizsla had bad reactions (purple welts) as a pup from any contact areas from Nickle-plating (the most common finish on gun-dog collars).

I now purchase collars with either brass (no issue here) or stainless steel. Stainless steel hardware is becoming very hard to find (perhaps someone knows a source?) so I bought several blaze-orange biothane collars from GDS before they disappeared.

One option you could try is to simply cover the posts with an appropriate material to prevent direct skin contact with the posts. If it is contact dermatitis that should solve the problem.

Bill
Spy Car
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to General Discussion