THC cannabis for dog's pain relief?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: THC cannabis for dog's pain relief?

Postby JONOV » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:34 pm

Willie T wrote:Oldtimer, I assume by "RA you are referring to rheumatoid arthritis? Debilitating to some is my understanding. If in fact that is your wife suffers from, I pray her physician finds an effective treatment. The certainty of aging and all that comes with it sucks.
As far as hard wired for addiction, I don't buy it. Tell that crap to Tiger Woods ex-wife and children. Self discipline, accountability, or instant gratification. We make our own choices.
Willie

You don't have to buy anything, but it doesn't make you right. You probably thinkdepressed people should just buck up and put a smile on their face and persevere, and that schizophrenics should just ignore the voices.

http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/addiction/genes/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2715956/

A genetic predisposition to it doesn't guarantee an active addiction, but it does predispose one to it. Its pretty dense to argue otherwise. I had a roommate that as soon as he started drinking, it was on. You could see it in his eyes. I've known others like that. He's been sober for some years now. Why do some casually have a drink and others end up panhandling under a bridge?
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby hicntry » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:19 pm

JONOV wrote:
Willie T wrote:Oldtimer, I assume by "RA you are referring to rheumatoid arthritis? Debilitating to some is my understanding. If in fact that is your wife suffers from, I pray her physician finds an effective treatment. The certainty of aging and all that comes with it sucks.
As far as hard wired for addiction, I don't buy it. Tell that crap to Tiger Woods ex-wife and children. Self discipline, accountability, or instant gratification. We make our own choices.
Willie

You don't have to buy anything, but it doesn't make you right. You probably thinkdepressed people should just buck up and put a smile on their face and persevere, and that schizophrenics should just ignore the voices.

http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/addiction/genes/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2715956/

A genetic predisposition to it doesn't guarantee an active addiction, but it does predispose one to it. Its pretty dense to argue otherwise. I had a roommate that as soon as he started drinking, it was on. You could see it in his eyes. I've known others like that. He's been sober for some years now. Why do some casually have a drink and others end up panhandling under a bridge?

Both Wiilie and Jonov are right. There are thousands of people that have prestigious jobs that use drugs in a very controled way. Others have addictive personalities and no control. Drugs have always been around. If they are that bad, why don't the streets look like the walking dead full of druggies? Because most people either don't use em or do it in a very controlled manner. Go into a large supermarket on a busy day. Do you see aisles full of druggies or normal people. Politicians use drugs to get re-elected and procure money for the "war on drugs" LE uses it the same way. TV demonizes drugs in the news and movies. As you can see from the stats I put up, there are just far worse thing to worry about. Legalize them all and there will be more control over them, just like when prohibition ended with alcohol. The result will be that you will still see stores full of normal people going on with life...not stores full of druggies. There will always be addicts regardless of laws. No drugs are gateway drugs...just weak people without control. It will always be like that so get over it.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:33 pm

Bruce Schwartz wrote:Willie, GH: I'm totally in agreement. And I didn't like the way things were before Obamacare. It's simply not possible to insure an unhealthy population at a low price. As I've said, I'm for working on a fix from both sides of the aisle, which seems superior to me than appealing it and not having a clue about what to replace it with.

I agree Bruce. When you look at how much money the insurance companies control, it is incredible. Insuring someone all of their lives, then excluding them or quadrupling their rates when they get sick, is totally unacceptable. Nor should you be able to be excluded for pre-existing conditions. The other huge rip off is extended care insurance. It is reasonable until you turn 60, then they increase the rates so dramatically that you can no longer afford it when you need it. Nor should a hospital be able to confiscate your home and everything you've worked for over a lifetime for a medical bill. Nor should I have to pay for the homeless, the poor, the illegals because they won't work to pay their own way. None of that is right and I quite frankly, don't know what the answer is, but I think a huge part to it has to be to control BOTH medical costs and INSURANCE RATES.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Chadwick » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:50 pm

I think a good start would be to require all health insurance companies to be mutual insurance companies.
Chadwick
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:04 pm

We all understand insurance companies are in this to make money and they aren't particularly interested in our health. Remember back when people would say " so and so couldn't get insurance"? That's because if you had diabetes, hypertension, obesity, RA, memory issues, addiction issues, smoked, etc. then insurance companies wouldn't insure you. If you were employed you could get insurance in a risk pool with lots of healthy co-workers to balance out the bad risks, but if you lost your job or changed to one without insurance then you were screwed if you ever wanted to get insured again.

So Obama came along and set up a plan that said you can't be turned away anymore because of pre-existing illness and everybody loved the idea however that's where the high costs are. To counter that increase in risk insurance companies then said, "OK, if that's the way you want it then EVERYBODY should be required to participate (especially the young healthy folks). That's how that got inserted. In addition, Obama wanted to give people the option of buying insurance from the government if they couldn't afford the rates the private insurance companies were charging (the so called "Public Option") but this was blocked in the buildup of the ACA bill so we're left at the mercy of the insurance companies.

The reason different states have different rate hikes is because there are commerce laws that bar insurance companies from selling insurance across state lines. Thus, your state can end up with maybe only one insurance company and so it can charge what it wants. I don't understand all the ins and outs but this is something I think Trump wants to get fixed.

Anyway, that's where we are today as I understand it. Cut out the middleman- the insurance companies? Maybe. That's what Medicare is like and the government controls costs there by telling providers what they'll pay for this or that so take it or leave it. I think one of the fixes that's being floated is to lower the age when you could sign on to Medicare..
Last edited by Bruce Schwartz on Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:19 pm

I saw a list once of the countries that have socialized medicine, or free insurance, Canada being one. The countries fell into two basic groups: the very wealthy and those with a lower standard of living. Socialized medicine damned expensive and my experience while living in Canada also says it ain't so hot. I live 700 miles north of the border in BC, in the small town of Smithers. If you had a horrible tooth ache, you waited six months for an appointment. The doctors up there are poorly paid and not the same quality ours are. Nor are their medical facilities. I truly hated socialized medicine so before anyone says how great it is, I think you have to either experience it or not mind living in a relative depressed economy where shall of your money goes to taxes.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JASmith » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:14 am

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:I saw a list once of the countries that have socialized medicine, or free insurance, Canada being one. The countries fell into two basic groups: the very wealthy and those with a lower standard of living. Socialized medicine damned expensive and my experience while living in Canada also says it ain't so hot. I live 700 miles north of the border in BC, in the small town of Smithers. If you had a horrible tooth ache, you waited six months for an appointment. The doctors up there are poorly paid and not the same quality ours are. Nor are their medical facilities. I truly hated socialized medicine so before anyone says how great it is, I think you have to either experience it or not mind living in a relative depressed economy where shall of your money goes to taxes.

I had a good friend that was a Canadian citizen a number of years back, who had to wait on an MRI for nearly a year.

I heard from her husband that an acquaintance of theirs had a very similar situation, chose to come to the US and pay for an MRI. (this was well after the first situation occurred)

Guess which one is still alive?
Rock Creek Gooseberry (Rebel)
JASmith
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby hicntry » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:03 pm

Marijuana DOES cause schizophrenia and triggers heart attacks, experts say in landmark study that slams most of the drug's medical benefits as 'unproven'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z4VbhAMn4B
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:08 am

Wow what a post. Didn't it start by trying to help an old dog with arthritis. I saw a fellow from Smithers B.C. I'm not just sure where it is, but believe me our health system is one of the best in the world, we spend less per capita than the US and it is better on almost all measures of quality.

The rub is and it is serious, is that we haven't been able to make the same services available to all Canadians, we have a lot of geography and not that many people.

We have won Nobel Prizes.

Oh and the most memorable part of Mr. Obama's presidency for me, will be that congressman from (Kentucky?) calling the president a liar. When he was trying to advance the health care for the poor.

I think your health system big players have way to much to say about the health of Americans.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JASmith » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:24 am

Densa44 wrote:We have won Nobel Prizes.

So did Obama, and he bombed a doctors without borders hospital, and will be the first president in the history of the US to be at war every single day of his presidency. :) They should be revocable.

Densa44 wrote:I think your health system big players have way to much to say about the health of Americans.

Very true. You can thank crony capitalism for that. When you get insurance companies, hospitals, and career politicians together to make laws that benefit... you guessed it... insurance companies, hospitals, and career politicians... this is what happens.
JASmith
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:32 am

We have, now, attorneys determining how doctors treat patients.

We have insurance companies telling Doctors what they can prescribe to us.

We have little say as to which doctors we choose.

Now, when I lived up in Canada, people went to the US for urgent treatment.
I remember my partners son broke his arm one saturday morning, and there were no doctors available until monday. The doctors I knew ALL worked other jobs. A friend of mine, a doctor, owned a guiding territory.
Nurses, not doctors staffed the hospital on week ends.
I had a tooth ache and waited 6 months to see a dentist.

I'm sure there's good things about it, but there's a lot of bad depending on where you live. The doc's don't want to serve the North, they want to practice in the cities but in return for their education, they HAVE to serve a certain number of years in the North.
Look at the cost to you. We have to pay insurance, but nearly everything is less down here, which MORE than makes up for the medical. When I was up there, most of our shopping was done from the Sears catalogue.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:35 am

Marijuana DOES cause schizophrenia and triggers heart attacks, experts say in landmark study that slams most of the drug's medical benefits as 'unproven'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z4VbhAMn4B

Whoops....double post. :lol: :lol: :lol:

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby carramrod » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:16 pm

hicntry wrote:Marijuana DOES cause schizophrenia and triggers heart attacks, experts say in landmark study that slams most of the drug's medical benefits as 'unproven'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z4VbhAMn4B

Whoops....double post. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm guessing there's some federal advisory panels you have disagreed with in the past?
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby oldtimer » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:30 am

Think about it. You pay an insurance company to provide you with care to you and your family, and the job of the insurance company is to make sure you use as little as possible. Very strange relationship.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JASmith » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:45 pm

oldtimer wrote:Think about it. You pay an insurance company to provide you with care to you and your family, and the job of the insurance company is to make sure you use as little as possible. Very strange relationship.

The only word that seems to really describe it is... Scam.
JASmith
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion