THC cannabis for dog's pain relief?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

THC cannabis for dog's pain relief?

Postby oldtimer » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:53 pm

Anyone ever give their dogs high CBD low THC cannabis? Like Cannatonic or Harlequin or ACDC? A friend of mine in Washington has a Lab that had severe arthritis. He was afraid to give his dog traditional pain meds d/t kidney problems. He said it is like he turned back the clock 3 years. His dog jumped in his truck, something she had not done in 1 year.
I have read how helpful Cannabis has been to people, I have a feeling this is going to be huge in the Vet world as well. Just curious if anyone (Where it is legal of course) has tried any special doggy treats?
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: How long do you feed Puppy Food

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:09 pm

Sure is interesting. Hope a vet weighs in.
Last edited by Christie on Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: split topic. line removed to not confuse readers
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: cannabis for dogs

Postby hicntry » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:33 pm

oldtimer wrote:Anyone ever give their dogs high CBD low THC cannabis? Like Cannatonic or Harlequin or ACDC? A friend of mine in Washington has a Lab that had severe arthritis. He was afraid to give his dog traditional pain meds d/t kidney problems. He said it is like he turned back the clock 3 years. His dog jumped in his truck, something she had not done in 1 year.
I have read how helpful Cannabis has been to people, I have a feeling this is going to be huge in the Vet world as well. Just curious if anyone (Where it is legal of course) has tried any special doggy treats?

People today are going off the deep end and apparently want to take the dogs with them. Cannabis makes people feel better???? Well, that is a news flash! Let's give it to the dogs so they can feel better too. Why not. If people are off the deep end there is no point in having any normalcy in dogs. Judging some of the threads OT's has started I wondered what he was on. Guess that answers that.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby oldtimer » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:34 am

Hicntry,
I am a retired physician with undergraduate degrees in Biology and Chemistry. I have been studying the effects of Cannabis because my wife has RA. No need to act without logic. Debate the science, the biochemistry. Many of the pain killers for people and canines are damaging to the body, especially the liver and kidneys. Exactly what is crazy about wanting a pain killer that does not damage those organs?
On another note, traditional medicine has over prescribed opioids, and prompted the highest rate of Heroin use in the history of the US. Why would you be opposed to an alternative that the big Pharms get no piece? If a dog gets an extra year because of cannabis, I am all for it. Why you responded in such a strange manner is beyond me.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby hicntry » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:37 am

"Why you responded in such a strange manner is beyond me."

Because it is about as crazy as putting goggles on a working dog to avoid eye injury when all you have to do is keep em home. I can picture dogs sitting around watching game run off while they are eating a cannabis cookies thinking "WOW, THAT"S WAY COOL".
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby oldtimer » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:07 am

I do not think you understand. I am not talking about getting dogs "stoned". The 3 strains I mentioned are very high CBD strains, and very low in THC. While CBD and THC work in synergy to promote pain and anxiety relief, CBD at a 1:1 ratio cancel the psychactive effects of THC. What this means is that there is a relief of pain and anxiety w/o the "high", or psychoactive part. These strains are valued by people with chronic pain because they allow a person to be a productive part of society and continue working, with relief of pain, AND no negative side effects in the way of a buzz OR the negative effects on the liver or kidneys. They would in theory do the same for dogs, and it appears that they do.
All cannibis is not created equally. Saying that someone is using marijuana, is like saying someone is eating vegetables, when describing their eating habits. You have no idea what kind of vegetable. There are hundreds. Strains vary GREATLY! There are 60 different compounds in Cannabis. The main 2 are THC and CBD. For pain relief without the high a ratio of 1 to 1is the way to go. If someone wants to get stoned and listen to the "Grateful Dead's greatest hits", followed by gorging themselves on cookie dough they would select a strain with say a 25%THC and a 1%CBD profile. It is even more complex than that, but that is the jist.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: THC cannabis for dog's pain relief?

Postby jlw034 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:57 pm

Hicntry, I always assumed your Hi had to do with a little puff, puff, pass lol!

If I had a dog that had crippling arthritis, I'd give it a shot (If it were legal here in MN...which it should be...everywhere).

Cognitive side effects are the main concern with cannabis, and given my dog is not a functioning member of society, the risk:benefit ratio makes sense to me.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:30 pm

I hope this thread keeps going because I think it has potential. I have had two bouts of cancer and there are few places on this earth as sad as a cancer ward. Apparently, and with great success, they are using CBD to relieve the pain in cancer patients and it is proving effective. Now, I don't know much about this, so one of you Doc's please chime in if I'm wrong, but if it is effective in relieving human pain, why in the world would we NOT want to do the same thing for our hunting partner if we could do it with a naturally occurring substance that nature produces?
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:30 pm

I hope this thread keeps going because I think it has potential. I have had two bouts of cancer and there are few places on this earth as sad as a cancer ward. Apparently, and with great success, they are using CBD to relieve the pain in cancer patients and it is proving effective. Now, I don't know much about this, so one of you Doc's please chime in if I'm wrong, but if it is effective in relieving human pain, why in the world would we NOT want to do the same thing for our hunting partner if we could do it with a naturally occurring substance that nature produces?
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby oldtimer » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:32 pm

Because people are small minded. Cannabis is an extremely valuable plant. As I have stated before, opiates are the devil compared to Cannabis. Alcohol is FAR AND AWAY more damaging to the body and society. People need to use science, not some ridiculous "opinion" based on values formed 50 years ago that use no logic at all. Now that Cannabis is legal, and can be studied, the benefits are just beginning. As an agricultural plant, it is equally amazing.
Look, I am no Hippie. I believe in science.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:51 pm

Then let's stick to science. The argument Cannabis is less damaging than alcohol has always been a hollow one to me. Doing things to damage your body/brain is a bad road no matter what the poison, so the lesser evil argument as support to making legal another problem causing agent gets no traction with me.

There might well be some medical benefits to Cannabis so good reasons to explore them.

But the overall legalization of THC laced Cannabis is just another vice in a society that is already suffering from too many lacking motivation, good health habits and sound thinking. There is no lack of evidence documenting the harmful effects of THC Cannabis. The medical strains you note may be different, but the potentially beneficial medical uses need to be walled off from the slippery slope of the hallucinogenic varieties. Unless we want to see more unproductive dependent people in our society.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:53 pm

We are talking dogs here. If a person perceives them to be in that much pain, the human thing is euthanasia, no matter how good a friend the dog was. Oldtimer and GH are seeing the possible benefits from personal experience....those are human experiences.

Let's look at this another way. If your dog/best friend became incontinent, but, was healthy otherwise, you would naturally feel bad....but you would have the dog put down. Why? Because it was an inconvenience for you. Now, you want to explore the possibility of giving your best friend cannabis to what, cure him? No, To , maybe, make him feel better? No, it is to make you feel better simply because you don't have to feel his pain. The incontinence you feel because it is damned inconvenient for you. Your decisions are to make you feel better, not your best friend. I have had a lot of dogs get up in years that were hurting. I took them for a walk in the mountains, loved on them, talked to them....and did the humane thing for them and put them down. But, that is when people had a set and did the right thing no matter how distasteful and heartbreaking it was. The pussyfied of today can't do it so they rationalize they are doing a good thing by prolonging the dogs pain......only so they feel better about what good caring people they are. Has very little to do with the dog.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:58 pm

AverageGuy wrote:Then let's stick to science. The argument Cannabis is less damaging than alcohol has always been a hollow one to me. Doing things to damage your body/brain is a bad road no matter what the poison, so the lesser evil argument as support to making legal another problem causing agent gets no traction with me.

There might well be some medical benefits to Cannabis so good reasons to explore them.

But the overall legalization of THC laced Cannabis is just another vice in a society that is already suffering from too many lacking motivation, good health habits and sound thinking. There is no lack of evidence documenting the harmful effects of THC Cannabis. The medical strains you note may be different, but the potentially beneficial medical uses need to be walled off from the slippery slope of the hallucinogenic varieties. Unless we want to see more unproductive dependent people in our society.

LOL nothing like a 'small-government' guy telling someone they can't do something cause it's bad for their health.

I know a few pot heads. I know way more high functioning professionals who enjoy the occasional use of weed. Kind of like the occasional whiskey or cigar. You paint marijuana users with too broad a brush.

I have seen the crippling effects of opiod abuse. I have seen the crippling effects of alcohol abuse. I have seen the crippling effects of amphetamine abuse. I have not seen these effects in pot smokers. And our law enforcement, judicial system, and prison system spend HOW much money enforcing it's prohibition? Meanwhile Colorado raked in $135 billion in tax dollars from their legalization.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby oldtimer » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:21 pm

hicntry wrote:We are talking dogs here. If a person perceives them to be in that much pain, the human thing is euthanasia, no matter how good a friend the dog was. Oldtimer and GH are seeing the possible benefits from personal experience....those are human experiences.

Let's look at this another way. If your dog/best friend became incontinent, but, was healthy otherwise, you would naturally feel bad....but you would have the dog put down. Why? Because it was an inconvenience for you. Now, you want to explore the possibility of giving your best friend cannabis to what, cure him? No, To , maybe, make him feel better? No, it is to make you feel better simply because you don't have to feel his pain. The incontinence you feel because it is damned inconvenient for you. Your decisions are to make you feel better, not your best friend. I have had a lot of dogs get up in years that were hurting. I took them for a walk in the mountains, loved on them, talked to them....and did the humane thing for them and put them down. But, that is when people had a set and did the right thing no matter how distasteful and heartbreaking it was. The pussyfied of today can't do it so they rationalize they are doing a good thing by prolonging the dogs pain......only so they feel better about what good caring people they are. Has very little to do with the dog.

All I can say is...HUH? What on God's green Earth are you talking about? Prolonging their pain? I am looking to use medication to reduce their pain. You keep mentioning that I use Cannabis. I have, years ago, not now. Looking to help my wife who suffers from RA.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby oldtimer » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:22 pm

I would never put a dog down because it was simply inconvenient for me.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion