How long do you feed Puppy Food

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: How long do you feed Puppy Food

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:14 am

Part two to my question. I thought calcium promoted strong bone growth. Why restrict it?
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby overit2 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:43 am

You don't want their bones to grow too fast in large breeds, it causes problems later down the road. Below is one article. Having a Weim, I got him off puppy food at 10 weeks. I feed Taste of the Wild now (grain free) and he seems to be doing very well.

I fed Blue Buffalo to a prior dog (small Boston) and she got super fat and gassy- switched her to Tofw and she did great. So far, I'm a fan. They have several flavors and I've switched to a 2nd flavor now and no 'transition' issues at all.

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/develo ... ed-puppies
overit2
Started
Started

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:44 am

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:Part two to my question. I thought calcium promoted strong bone growth. Why restrict it?

Growing too fast increases risk of orthopedic disease.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/2 ... 02/related

Feeding large-breed puppies.
Review article
Larsen J. Compend Contin Educ Vet. 2010.
Show full citation
Abstract
Growth is a physiologically demanding process that requires adequate amounts of energy as well as optimal intake of essential nutrients. Key nutritional factors, including energy and calcium, have been identified as important during growth. Large-breed puppies have a genetic tendency toward fast growth rates that can stress developing skeletal structures and result in malformations if left unchecked. Overnutrition in large-breed puppies leads to not only heavier body weight but also faster bone growth with abnormal bone remodeling. The end result is a larger but less dense skeletal structure supporting a load that is heavier than ideal. Controlling the growth rate and providing nutrients in amounts adjusted for energy intake can help decrease the risks of skeletal abnormalities caused by rapid growth in large-breed puppies.

PMID 20949422 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:51 am

overit2 wrote:You don't want their bones to grow too fast in large breeds, it causes problems later down the road. Below is one article. Having a Weim, I got him off puppy food at 10 weeks. I feed Taste of the Wild now (grain free) and he seems to be doing very well.

I fed Blue Buffalo to a prior dog (small Boston) and she got super fat and gassy- switched her to Tofw and she did great. So far, I'm a fan. They have several flavors and I've switched to a 2nd flavor now and no 'transition' issues at all.

I see complaints of weight gain and GI upset frequently with the calorie dense grain free foods.

TOTW does not list calcium content for their diets, therefore I do not consider their foods an option for large breed puppies.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:55 am

Interesting stuff; thank you for taking the time.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:04 am

One more question and I'll leave you alone. Once they're past a year, what is the next dog food and protein-calcium levels you feed? Thank you in advance.

Also, what is your feeling on supplements like Dinovite?
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby overit2 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:32 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
overit2 wrote:You don't want their bones to grow too fast in large breeds, it causes problems later down the road. Below is one article. Having a Weim, I got him off puppy food at 10 weeks. I feed Taste of the Wild now (grain free) and he seems to be doing very well.

I see complaints of weight gain and GI upset frequently with the calorie dense grain free foods.

TOTW does not list calcium content for their diets, therefore I do not consider their foods an option for large breed puppies.

I know, a concern also about the calcium levels- there was a link somewhere I saw that had the low calcium type foods- I am considering switching him after this bag to something like Earthborn, Dr. Tim's or Fromm....

Btw, I found this list:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwApI_d ... lidWc/edit

It was from this site discussing what we are here:

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/forums/t ... nutrition/
overit2
Started
Started

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:33 pm

Keep in mind many grain free foods try to say 1.4% calcium is acceptable.

Veterinary nutritionists recommend 0.7-1.2% calcium - which cuts half the foods on that list.

Most foods for "all life stages" are too rich for large breed puppies. All life stages covers the nutritional needs for pregnancy and lactation. You only need a food rated for growth, and most large breed puppies would be better off fed a food rated only for growth.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:38 pm

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:One more question and I'll leave you alone. Once they're past a year, what is the next dog food and protein-calcium levels you feed? Thank you in advance.

Also, what is your feeling on supplements like Dinovite?

After growth is complete, there's no need to restrict calcium. I feed a 30% protein 20% fat performance food (tried Dr. Tims this year) during hunting season and cut back to less rich food after season is over.

A quality dog food shouldn't need supplementation with vitamins etc. I do recommend routine supplementation of Omega-3 fatty acids.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:42 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Keep in mind many grain free foods try to say 1.4% calcium is acceptable.

Veterinary nutritionists recommend 0.7-1.2% calcium - which cuts half the foods on that list.

Most foods for "all life stages" are too rich for large breed puppies. All life stages covers the nutritional needs for pregnancy and lactation. You only need a food rated for growth, and most large breed puppies would be better off fed a food rated only for growth.

Question: What is considered "Large Breed?" I only ask because there seems to be conflicting advice out there. Parents were advised on "large breed" adolescent food for their rescued lab. My vet said large breeds were more towards St. Bernards, Great Danes, Newfies as opposed to your average sporting breed.
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JASmith » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:59 pm

JONOV wrote:Question: What is considered "Large Breed?" I only ask because there seems to be conflicting advice out there. Parents were advised on "large breed" adolescent food for their rescued lab. My vet said large breeds were more towards St. Bernards, Great Danes, Newfies as opposed to your average sporting breed.

The typical definition I've seen is Large is a dog expected to be 50+ pounds full grown, 100+ are sometimes referenced as Giant.
Rock Creek Gooseberry (Rebel)
JASmith
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Calvinator » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:43 pm

I only ever feed a quality adult kibble. If pup looks heavy I cut food amount back. If pup looks too thin, I give them a little more. Better for them to be too thin than too heavy, IMO. Currently feeding Inukshuk 30/25.
If I only had one dog, I would feed a 100% raw diet!!
Calvin
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby overit2 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:09 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Keep in mind many grain free foods try to say 1.4% calcium is acceptable.

Very interesting. I did not know that. I've been considering the Fromm Four Star varieties- starting with the Game bird one, at 1.27 calcium...two others of their flavors fall at 1.18pct. better then the others on the list and at least both online and one local place I can get if I run out. More expensive the ToTW but I can't find the calcium levels on that. He's 4 months now so still time to correct any over growth.
overit2
Started
Started

Previous

Return to General Discussion