How long do you feed Puppy Food

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

How long do you feed Puppy Food

Postby roosterbrews » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:28 am

My pup is about to finish her first bag of Fromm Puppy just checking to see how long you feed puppy food. She will be about 4 months when the bag is gone so I think I will get another. It's just easier having one food for all the dogs.
roosterbrews
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: How long do you feed Puppy Food

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:44 am

roosterbrews wrote:My pup is about to finish her first bag of Fromm Puppy just checking to see how long you feed puppy food. She will be about 4 months when the bag is gone so I think I will get another. It's just easier having one food for all the dogs.

I'm not sure what the thinking is today, but I still go by the old Purina jingle: "Puppy chow for a full year, till their full grown". That being said, if you have another dog you feed a different food to, there's nothing wrong with that as long as you supplement the pup's food so it's getting same protein, etc.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:48 am

I start switching them over as soon as what puppy food the breeder gave me starts to run low. I supplement with tuna or salmon oil, yogurt, boiled eggs.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:04 am

My families first Golden Retriever puppy, the breeder said switch her to adult food as soon as the small bag of puppy food I send with you is gone.

One vet said keep them on it a little longer than that, but have them transitioned to adult food at 6 months.

My pups current vet said "puppy food for a year."

The varying opinions on the matter would lead me to believe that it doesn't make a huge difference one way or another, or that the research is conflicting or lacking, or that the opinions aren't based on research but on anecdotal experience.

If I had a Great Dane or Newfoundland I would listen close to the breeder, but it seems that sporting breeds develop normally enough without much close attention.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Chadwick » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:43 am

Once a puppy is passed the point where it would be completely weaned by its mother, it would eat the same food as an adult dog.
Chadwick
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:59 pm

I quit feeding puppy chows years ago because they weren't that well formulated back in the day. I am sure they have addressed many of the problems with today's formulations. Never had a problem feeding puppies adult kibble right out of the gate. Always fed it as dry kibble also....never added water.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:59 pm

xxx
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby overit2 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:16 am

OUr breeder also said no puppy food after the bag she gave us ran out- or max 10 weeks old. For the larger dogs, the puppy food may have to high protein -which accelerates growth plates...they said not even 'large breed'.
overit2
Started
Started

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:43 am

It's not protein that causes orthopedic problems, its calcium and over feeding.

Before we understood the mechanism of disease, it was noticed that large breeds had better outcomes on adult foods. Many assumed it was the protein that was the problem, and this misinformation continues to be spread by breeders who are not up to date.

Large breed puppy food is a marketing term. The general recommendation for large breed puppy food is greater than 25% protein and LESS than 1.2% calcium. Foods that are formulated for growth and meet those two requirements are ideal. These foods should be fed until the dog has finished growing, anywhere from 8-18 months depending on the breed.

Keeping a dog lean is equally important to proper growth.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:06 pm

I wait until he has chewed 6 shoes or one sofa and then adult food.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JASmith » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:17 pm

Densa44 wrote:I wait until he has chewed 6 shoes or one sofa and then adult food.

Science! The perfect recipe.
Rock Creek Gooseberry (Rebel)
JASmith
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:28 pm

Densa44 wrote:I wait until he has chewed 6 shoes or one sofa and then adult food.

My dog is now just over a year old, and hasn't accomplished this yet.lol I guess that we have been lucky. I just switched him from puppy food to an adult blend. At 77lbs, I hope that he is almost done growing,
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:02 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:It's not protein that causes orthopedic problems, its calcium and over feeding.

Before we understood the mechanism of disease, it was noticed that large breeds had better outcomes on adult foods. Many assumed it was the protein that was the problem, and this misinformation continues to be spread by breeders who are not up to date.

Large breed puppy food is a marketing term. The general recommendation for large breed puppy food is greater than 25% protein and LESS than 1.2% calcium. Foods that are formulated for growth and meet those two requirements are ideal. These foods should be fed until the dog has finished growing, anywhere from 8-18 months depending on the breed.

Keeping a dog lean is equally important to proper growth.

Do you have a specific brand you recommend?
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:24 am

I recommend pro plan large breed puppy.

For my clients requesting grain free options, blue buffalo has one of the few that meet the requirements for calcium restriction.

From Large Breed Puppy also makes the cut.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:11 am

How do you feel and what is the thinking on these grain free foods?
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion