Thought This was Interesting

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Thought This was Interesting

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:33 pm

AverageGuy wrote:
Academia with tenure - not disciplined or restrained by anything - costs rising through the roof - the solution offered is make it free - is "a tough row to hoe". That is hilarious!

That is what "academic freedom" is all about, along with the notion of tenure - where you can't be fired for your beliefs and teachings, including those that are inconvenient to politicians. Ain't going away anytime soon. Curry was tenured BTW
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:03 pm

[quote="Bruce Schwartz"

That is what "academic freedom" is all about, along with the notion of tenure - where you can't be fired for your beliefs and teachings, including those that are inconvenient to politicians. Ain't going away anytime soon. Curry was tenured BTW[/quote]

Yes that is the tired old excuse for Tenure that will never die it seems. Certainly there are passionate and motivated College Professors but in general a tenured College Professor position is the cushiest 6 figure job in existence. Anyone leaving that expecting an easier go of it in private industry is in for a rude awakening. I expect her reason for leaving was the one she gave. An intolerable situation of Liberals claiming tolerance of thought while behaving the opposite.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Chadwick » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:36 pm

AverageGuy wrote: Certainly there are passionate and motivated College Professors but in general a tenured College Professor position is the cushiest 6 figure job in existence.

How much time have you actually spent working alone side college professors in all the various disciplines to make that generalized of a statement? When I was working with and for professors they worked incredibly long hours and had a lot of responsibility. I worked with professors in science disciplines and business school at a large state university.
Chadwick
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:43 pm

"Liberals Claiming tolerance of thought while behaving the opposite." I wish I had a T shirt with that on it.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:51 pm

orhunter wrote:"Liberals Claiming tolerance of thought while behaving the opposite." I wish I had a T shirt with that on it.

I'd wear that shirt, but only if on the other side it said "Republicans claiming to be fiscally conservative while spending all your money."

Hypocrites, the lot of em.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:22 pm

jlw034 wrote:
orhunter wrote:"Liberals Claiming tolerance of thought while behaving the opposite." I wish I had a T shirt with that on it.

I'd wear that shirt, but only if on the other side it said "Republicans claiming to be fiscally conservative while spending all your money."

Hypocrites, the lot of em.

Hence the nomination and election of Trump and the "Drain the Swamp" mantra. Whether it will bring real change remains to be seen.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:20 pm

I'm not part of the hypocrite teams, I'm registered as, independent. I don't want to be associated with either party.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bigearl » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:26 pm

I'd buy that shirt!
Bigearl
Seasoned
Seasoned

Previous

Return to General Discussion