Postby orhunter » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:51 am

Sounds like a smart gal.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Thought This was Interesting

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:05 am

The most interesting debate I have seen on climate change was between Rubio and the Sierra Club over global warming. Ends up that with 20 years of satellite data monitoring the earth's temperature, it has not varied one degree. The Sierra Club ended up basically taking the 5th. If you can pull it up on Utube it's worth the watch. I personally, believe it's just part of a normal cycle.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:16 am

Makes no difference if global warming is man created or not. The sheer number of humans inhabiting the planet is double what it ought to be which creates its own problems. If human reproduction can't be shut down, global warming has no significance what so ever. Gotta shut down the baby factories.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:39 am

orhunter wrote:Makes no difference if global warming is man created or not. The sheer number of humans inhabiting the planet is double what it ought to be which creates its own problems. If human reproduction can't be shut down, global warming has no significance what so ever. Gotta shut down the baby factories.

Agreed 1 thousand percent.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:41 pm

Well, she's controversial for sure. Loved by the climate deniers and hated by the rest. Here are two differing quotes about her:

"Where many scientists say that humans are the primary cause of warming, Curry believes natural forces play a larger role. She also believes that uncertainty around climate models means we don't have to act so quickly and that current plans would do little to mitigate warming. She also questions the assertion made by a majority of climate scientists who believe humans have significantly contributed to climate change. In the Obama years, she has become a contrarian of sorts, often criticizing those who rely on climate models to prove that humans are warming the planet at an unprecedented rate."

or:

"She has played a particularly pernicious role in the climate change denial campaign, laundering standard denier talking points but appearing to grant them greater authority courtesy of the academic positions she has held and the meager but nonetheless legitimate scientific work that she has published in the past," he said. "Much of what I have seen from her in recent years is boilerplate climate change denial drivel.”

I'm interested in knowing how people so easily take up the denier position when 97% of the world's scientist feel there is irrefutable evidence that human impact is the major cause of climate change?
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby twistedoak » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:16 am

I really don't care if the climate is warming .
it just has to last another 10-20 years i'll be dead and it won't matter.
if "you" had/have kids ,oh well ,sucks to be them
twistedoak
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:14 am

Appears to me the viciousness revealed in those quotes proves her point.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby oldtimer » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:24 am

orhunter wrote:Makes no difference if global warming is man created or not. The sheer number of humans inhabiting the planet is double what it ought to be which creates its own problems. If human reproduction can't be shut down, global warming has no significance what so ever. Gotta shut down the baby factories.

I have been saying the same thing for years. Could NOT agree more.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:46 am

oldtimer wrote:

BB

I have been saying the same thing for years. Could NOT agree more.

And the cows! Don't forget the cow farts!
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Chadwick » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:28 am

Her viewpoint is not any more validity than anyone else's. Earth is a giant chemical solution. As with any chemical solution, when the proportions of the components in the solution are changed, the outcome of the reactions can be tremendously variable. Sometimes, a tiny change causes a rapid and dramatic effect. Sometimes, it causes something to not happen. There is no way to know.

Given the complexity of the earth, who knows what will happen. Carbon dioxide is but one variable. Start to add in all the other things that humans have done to change the planet and it is clear that we are completely in the unknown.

If the rest of the planted wanted to live like Americans (and they do), then it would take the resources of 7 earths to do it. The trajectory of the situation is clear at this point. Nature will take care of the problem on its own. Anytime a population gets out of control, it ends up crashing.
Chadwick
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:47 pm

I don't think her point was the validity of her viewpoint over someone else's. Rather it is that the Gov Funded Universities and Grant beholding Think Tanks are absolutely deaf and vicious to any view point other than their own. As was demonstrated in the quotes Bruce shared.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:17 pm

Gonrhuntin': Here in liberal Orygun, the global warming zealots made the farmers install catalytic converters on farm animals. Chickens have colostomy bags.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:36 pm

AverageGuy wrote:Appears to me the viciousness revealed in those quotes proves her point.

One quote I cited was flattering and one was not. I chose them because they reflected opposing views.

AverageGuy wrote:I don't think her point was the validity of her viewpoint over someone else's. Rather it is that the Gov Funded Universities and Grant beholding Think Tanks are absolutely deaf and vicious to any view point other than their own. As was demonstrated in the quotes Bruce shared.

From to article AG posted: "Curry adds that with her resignation her "fall from the ivory tower that started in 2005 is now complete." Curry continues, "At this point, the private sector seems like a more 'honest' place for a scientist working in a politicized field than universities or government labs — at least when you are your own boss."

Academia has always been a tough row to hoe so it's likely she will be more comfortable in the private sector where facts don't matter so much. I wish her luck being her "own boss" though.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:07 pm

Bruce Schwartz wrote:
Academia has always been a tough row to hoe so it's likely she will be more comfortable in the private sector where facts don't matter so much. I wish her luck being her "own boss" though.

Thank you for the belly laugh Bruce.

Academia with tenure - not disciplined or restrained by anything - costs rising through the roof - the solution offered is make it free - is "a tough row to hoe". That is hilarious!
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion