Puppy Owner

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Puppy Owner

Postby Runningwild » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:04 pm

What do you guys look for in a person that wants one of your pups? What questions do you hope they ask you? Etc
Runningwild
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Puppy Owner

Postby orhunter » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:35 pm

How much do you hunt your dogs?
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:28 pm

The dog will live in the home, be hunted, and the owners were willing to entertain the idea of testing through VJP.

6 of my 7 puppy buyers are either current DD owners or hunt regularly with friends with DDs.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:43 pm

KissK: Turn the question around. It's what pup buyer asks the breeder.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:01 pm

orhunter wrote:KissK: Turn the question around. It's what pup buyer asks the breeder.

I wanted them to ask about the dogs, not the price tag. The potential buyers I turned away were unaware of what made a versatile dog, and didn't ask during discussion of prior dog experience. They were uninterested in the testing system and training support options available to them.

As this is my first foray into selling dogs, I'm sure my interview skills are lacking compared to more experienced breeders.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:19 pm

With every Griff I've bought, or helped others purchase, with the exception of the first, I trusted the people I was dealing with and the pedigrees. I knew what was being brought to the table without discussing it.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:19 pm

I'll look at it from the other way. When I'm buying a pup, I don't think it's any of the breeders business what I'm doing with the pup. I've paid my money and it's my dog. If a breeder starts trying to put restrictions on me or the pup, I tell them to kiss off and go find a different one. When I bred dogs, which was very limited, a couple litters a year, if they had the money for the pup that was all I cared about. Whether they trailed it, hunted it, kept it inside or outside was their business, not mine.
Last edited by GONEHUNTIN' on Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:31 am

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:I'll look at it from the other way. When I'm buying a pup, I don't think it's any of the breeders business what I'm doing with the pup. I've paid my money and it's my dog. If a breeder starts trying to put restrictions on me or the pup, I tell them to kiss off and go find a different one. When I bred dos, which wad very limited, a couple litters a year, if they had the money for the pup that was all I cared about. Whether they trailed it, hunted it, kept it inside or outside was their business, not mine.

I turned away 3 interested parties before pups were born, and have had to turn away another half dozen since they were born and are now all spoken for. In a limited supply environment, I get to choose where my pups go. They are worth more than their purchase price and if they want a pup first come first serve they can kiss off and find a different breeder. To each their own. Both breeders I have purchased from have had a similar interview process.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby randomnut » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:47 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:
GONEHUNTIN' wrote:I'll look at it from the other way. When I'm buying a pup, I don't think it's any of the breeders business what I'm doing with the pup. I've paid my money and it's my dog. If a breeder starts trying to put restrictions on me or the pup, I tell them to kiss off and go find a different one. When I bred dos, which wad very limited, a couple litters a year, if they had the money for the pup that was all I cared about. Whether they trailed it, hunted it, kept it inside or outside was their business, not mine.

I turned away 3 interested parties before pups were born, and have had to turn away another half dozen since they were born and are now all spoken for. In a limited supply environment, I get to choose where my pups go. They are worth more than their purchase price and if they want a pup first come first serve they can kiss off and find a different breeder. To each their own. Both breeders I have purchased from have had a similar interview process.

Thank you Misskiwi. Unfortunately, My interaction with breeders has been what Gonehuntin' has described. If you've got the money, you've got the pup. Not that I've purchased or discussed the purchase of many, but never has hunting, or the desire to hunt, been in the conversation.
randomnut
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Urban_Redneck » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:19 am

The breeder I bought my pup from had me fill out a questionnaire.

We discussed pedigree and I was able to trace sire and dam through the breed database. I asked about pup's early socialization to kids and other dogs. The breeder has a website that demonstrated a breadth of experience with the breed. Because of the distances involved, we must've exchanged 200 emails from initial contact 'til the day we met for the exchange. We discussed everything from food to testing, shows, personalities, vets, neuter/spaying, puppy updates, ultrasounds, xrays, and lots of photos. Nearly six months later, we are still in contact through FB and email. I count her as a trusted friend and dog advisor.

New form submission for Questionnaire pré-adoption

Name:

Address:

Email:

Phone numbers : Home Work and Cell:

Occupation and work schedules (days and hours):

Spouse name (if not spouse just write no spouse):

Occupation and work schedules (days and hours) of the spouse ( if not spouse write n/a):

How did you get aware of our kennel?:

Do you have childrens ? If so please list their names and ages.:

When do you plan to have your new compagnion?:

Are a small game hunter?:

What type of dog are you looking for?:

Why do you want a Braque d'Auvergne?:

Is everyone in your family is ready to adopt a puppy/dog?:

Preference :

What are you looking for in a puppy/dog?:

A Braque d'Auvergne can live up to 11 to 14 years, are you ready to commit for his life to take care of him?:

Does anyone in the family have allergies to dogs or asthma? If so, who?:

If someone living in the house would develop an allergy to the dog what would you do?:

What type of housing do you live in? Apartment, condominium, house, etc.?:

Do you own or rent?:

If you rent, does your landlord allow dogs?:

Please list his name and phone number::

Do you have a fenced in yard? If so, how big an area does it encompass, what kind of fencing does it have and how tall is it?:

Is there a Home Owner's Association where you live, and if so, do they permit dogs? What is the limit?:

Name of the association : :

Do you own a pool? If so, is it completely fenced off?:

Do you have other pets, and if so, please tell me what they are, their genders, and their ages:, if neutered/spayed or not:

Are there any major changes that may occur in your life in the near future such as moving, a divorce, relationship break up, new job, going to school or other such thing? If so, please explain::

Do you agree to provide the proper care and love to this dog for the duration of it's LIFE despite what changes may occur?:

Have you ever owned a Braque d'Auvergne before?:

Do you know the pros and the cons of this breed?:

Who will be home with your new dog during the day? And at night?:

How long will your dog be left alone during the day?:

If your new puppy/dog will be by itself for long periods of time, would you agree to have someone come take care of him?:

Are you willing to crate train your new puppy?:

Who will groom the puppy/dog and how often?:

Do you agree to feed this dog a top premium food for it's optimal health?:

Will you provide this dog with the best medical care when needed?:

Do you agree to never leave this dog outside in severe weather?:

Do you agree to properly house this dog in clean quarters and provide it with fresh water at all times?:

Do you agree to never chain this dog to any stationary object such as a tree or post, or leave it in the garage?:

Do you agree to never let this dog run off leash in an unfenced, unsecured area?:

Do you agree to never let this dog ride in the back of an open vehicle (pick up truck)?:

Who will train this dog? Are you willing to take it to classes so it becomes a good canine citizen?:

Do you already had a pet that is no longer with you? If so explain why ::

Do you agree to spay/neuter this dog if it is a family companion and send the breeder a copy of the certificate?:

In the event you cannot keep this dog, what would be your first action? :

Are you willing to stay in contact with the breeder and give her occasional updates and pictures on how your dog is doing for the duration that you have him?:

En case of illness/accident of the dog/puppy, are you able to pay for the vet bills ?:

What is the energy level you are looking for in your new dog/puppy?:

How long can you exercise your dog each day?:

Do you have an idea of the necessary budget for a dog annually? (annual check up at the vet, shots, deworming, feeding )?:

If you are in a relationship and it breaks up, who would keep the dog?:

When you'll be away from home where will be kept your dog/puppy? :

When you'll be home where will be kept your dog/puppy?:

Please provide THREE references with their names, address's and phone numbers (one can be your vet if you have one)::

How many time will you be able to play with your dog/puppy?:

You'd like to have a dog that affectionate at the point that : :

Something else you'd like us to know about you?:

I hereby swear that the content in this questionnaire is the truth to the best of my knowledge. Today's Date: :

I swear,
Urban_Redneck
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby JASmith » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:29 am

I guess with the more common breeds it might be less typical for the breeder to ask about your interests and plans for the dog.

In the PP world, I've talked to a hand full of breeders any every one of them wanted to make sure it was going to a hunting home at least.
No first come, first serve.
Also you got moved up in priority if you planned to at least NA test the pup, and you wouldn't even be getting a pup if you planned to neuter before it reached maturity.

Maybe that isn't typical in the grand scheme, maybe it's a PP world thing?
Rock Creek Gooseberry (Rebel)
JASmith
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Urban_Redneck » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:21 am

I wouldn't be surprised to find that many of "minority breed" breeders carefully screen where their pups are going, at least more so than the widely available breeds. In the case of my pup's breeder, she sees herself as breed warden for the pups she sells/breeds.
Urban_Redneck
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:41 am

Kelly and I had a few of phone conversations and exchanged quite a few emails for about 3 years. We shared photos of hunts/dogs working over 3 seasons with related questions and discussion about the dog's NA in those areas. From my side of it I was seeking to give Kelly an understanding of my experience and success with prior and current dogs, my hunting opportunities and priorities, as well as the daily environment I had to offer a puppy. I approach the subject with the thought that I need to sell my qualifications to the breeder as much as vice versa in order to get the puppy I am hoping to get. I will ask for their time along the way and want them to know I am sincere, dedicated and positioned in my lifestyle to offer a lot of opportunity in developing and hunting the puppy.

I was seeking to learn how much and what types of hunting he did with his dogs, what NA he valued most, how he selected the dogs he bred. His website shows the pedigrees used in his breeding going back many generations and it has an interesting mix of German and American lines. I wanted to learn more about that and did. Numerous things impressed me, but one standout was his comments about how many dogs he held back, developed and hunted for a year, but then took a pass on for breeding purposes. They were very nice hunting dogs, above average, but fell short of top shelf in something somewhere in the total package that made him try again vs settling. Very High Standards and a lot of hunting experience across a lot of dogs for a lot of years is what is behind that.

And I spoke with and exchanged emails with Brett, who has had a series of dogs from Kelly's Kennel over the years (VCs, UT1s, each hunted a lot on a large variety of upland and waterfowl), and currently has two including the Sire of my pup. He also sees quite a few other dogs of various breeds, so has a good basis for comparison which is always important and sometimes missing. I ping both Kelly and Brett regularly for input on various issues (and several others on this Forum). I also made a couple of phone calls to persons with puppies from Kelly's Kennel who I met through this Forum. And I called some people I met on this Forum in the NAVHDA Chapter where one of those puppies trained to get their feedback.

Through it all we discussed hunting and his dog's NA relative to that subject. When testing came up Kelly made a comment that really stuck with me. He said he favored the higher levels of testing because it sorted through and revealed a lot about a dog's mental makeup and ability to handle the pressures of higher levels of training, not because it is the best measure of hunting dog. He relies on actual hunting to determine that. Made good sense to me.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion