Eye injury potential/prevention

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Eye injury potential/prevention

Postby jjseman » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:10 pm

I have a small Munsterlander who is young and bird crazy with a ton of drive in the field. Which is a good thing. This drive of hers got her in trouble with a thorn in the eye that has cost me a whole bunch of time and money in trips to the vet. I've never seen a dog wearing eye protection in hunting or training, but if this can prevent another injury- I don't see a reason not to protect her. How common are these eyes injuries? After all, these dogs run face first into nasty cover.I'm not just talking about seed spore, but cuts or punctures. I was considering Rex specs, they look stupid, but I heard they stay on the dog's face better than goggles. Your thoughts please.
jjseman
Started
Started

Re: Eye injury potential/prevention

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:09 pm

If your dog will leave them on, protect your investment. I know of a border collie that lost an eye to a corneal puncture, despite spending thousands on trying to save the eye.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jjseman » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:46 am

That's where I'm at, her eye is improving. It was in guarded condition a few days ago. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and wallet empty!
jjseman
Started
Started

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:21 am

I assume you're a new dog owner because you seem overly protective. These are HUNTING dogs and as such they live a tenuous existence. Their front legs get torn up, their feet get ribboned, sticks puncture their sides and stomach, ears get torn, there are porcupine, deer, wolf and bear. Trappers and vehicles.

You simply can't protect from them all or you'll go crazy trying. Just forget about it and hunt the dog. The best thing you can do is to keep the dog vested, that's where your most dangerous injuries occur.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:44 am

I'm with Gonehuntin'. We do the best we can to protect them but in the end, it really doesn't matter a whole lot. Stuff happens. I think barb wire is the worst offender.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:25 am

Barbed wire and old farm implements have accounted for more than one trip to the vet. There are some dogs who for whatever reason are more prone to injure themselves. Injury prone dogs I hunted with have all been high drive and hunted with reckless abandon, and seemingly never learn to proceed with caution, when warranted. My gut reaction is I wouldn't put safety glasses on a dog, but after thinking about it some..... I have hunted them with boots and also used vests. So gearing them up for protection is not new to me. Dog glasses are not something I have seen or considered. I'm probably not going to go look for them, but I actually see the utility. Especially for one of those dogs that does not do a very good job of protecting themselves.
Hope the eye fully recovers-Willie
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to General Discussion