4 Day HRC Test in Butte Mt July 28 -->31 2017

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

4 Day HRC Test in Butte Mt July 28 -->31 2017

Postby Doc E » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:27 pm

For the first time ever three HRC clubs in Montana will be offering a 4 day regular hunt test at the Treasure State RC grounds in Butte Montana. For those of you that have been to these grounds you know just how beautiful they are. The three clubs are Missouri Headwaters Gundog club, Bitterroot Valley HRC and Treasure State RC. We will have a great tailgate on Saturday with an outstanding raffle. Dry camping is allowed on the grounds but there are also some nice hotels in Butte just 15 min. from the grounds.

Please keep checking the HRC website and Hunt Secretary for updates and premiums.

Beautiful grounds right at the Continental Divide (over 6300').

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: 4 Day HRC Test in Butte Mt July 28 -->31 2017

Postby Densa44 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:27 am

Thanks for the post. Just what is an HRC test? Who can enter? Is there a entry form.

Those of us out in the bush and aliens aren't in the know about all of these dog events but Butte is certainly do-able from Alberta.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:54 am

The difficulty of the Retriever tests depend on the "level" of the dog's / handler's abilities.
There is Started, Seasoned and Finished.
HRC also has an Upland test (although there won't be Upland in Butte)

Started is 2 Single marks on land and 2 single marks on water. They will usually be 30 to 50 yards. Dog may be restrained by the handler and delivery does not have to be to hand (but it has to be within one step). The handler can shoot a popper at the bird, or if you are restraining your dog, a "Bubba gunner" will do the shooting. This level is for dogs with good natural retriever ability and a little training.

Seasoned will have 2 Double marks on land and 2 Double marks on water (up to 75 yards on land and 50 yards on water) and either a Walk-up or a Walk-out on land. The dog must be steady on everything. There will also be a Blind retrieve (with moderate 'factors' on both water and land. The blind will usually be 50 to 75 yards.
All birds must be delivered to hand. The handler will be shooting a poppers. This is for dogs that have had quite a bit of formal training.

Finished (Master level) will have Triple marks on both land and water (up to 150 yards) Blind retrieves on both land and water (not to exceed 100 yards) with significant 'factors' on both marks and blinds. There will also be one Honor situation and one Diversion bird on one of the retrieves (mark or blind). Of course, all birds must be delivered to hand. The handler will shoot poppers and sometimes there will be a live shot flyer (depends on bird availability). This level is for dogs that have had significant high level training.
HRC Retriever tests are usually Sat & Sun (except for the Grand Championship, which is 5 days), but this will be the first 4 day regular hunt test we have ever attended.

Anyone with a Hunting Dog can enter whatever level you want -- it's not age related.
Although the premiums aren't up yet, they will be on http://www.huntsecretary.com when they become available.

Any other questions, let me know.

Doc E
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:27 pm

Thank you. It sounds a lot like a CKC, puppy, Junior (Derby in the US) and Qualifying/Open to me. I take it the dogs do not run head to head and there are no call backs.

I take it the diversion bird is not to be retrieved?

Is the shot bird a duck?

Sounds like a lot of fun.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:37 pm

The dogs run one at a time (although on the Honor, two dogs are on the line at the same time. the Working dog and the Honor dog.
The diversion bird is retrieved after the one already in the mouth is delivered. the dog must not switch to the diversion bird.
Ducks are always used for the water series, but the land can be duck, pheasant or chukars.
There are callbacks, but even if you have failed, you are allowed to continue to run your dog if you desire.

In HRC, Gun Safety is of prime importance.

Doc E
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion