Selling off Federal Land

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Selling off Federal Land

Postby JASmith » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:21 am

Meridiandave wrote:Based on feedback from hunters and fisherman Chaffettz is pulling his bill today. Way to go guys.

Awesome!
Rock Creek Gooseberry (Rebel)
JASmith
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:49 am

JASmith wrote:
Meridiandave wrote:Based on feedback from hunters and fisherman Chaffettz is pulling his bill today. Way to go guys.

Awesome!

Looks like it.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/update-utah- ... land-cites

I am sure there will be a renewed effort, probably sooner than later...
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bhennessy » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:40 pm

This is good news, but we need to keep engaged for sure because the real money and greed behind this ill conceived movement isn't going away any time soon.

On another positive note, Colorado College recently published is annual report on "Conservation in the West Poll". Of the seven states the poll focuses on, only Utah's residents supported the transfer of public land to the states, and only by 4% points, which is inside the poll's margin of error. Every other state had majorities (most were quite large) that were opposed to strongly/totally oppose the transfer of public land to the states.

Additionally, almost 80% of respondents across the west were against the removal of National Monument Designations from federal land so designated in the last 10 years (an idea the GOP has been floating). Perhaps most interesting is that a majority of Utah respondents supported and wanted to keep the designations on Bear's Ears and Grand Escalante, something that Utah's politicians are working overtime to do.

So the results of the poll are encouraging, but at the end of the day I don't think public opinion will play as forcefully as developers' money and greed and misguided tea party rage. Hopefully I'm wrong.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Bigearl » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:59 pm

bhennessy wrote:This is good news, but we need to keep engaged for sure because the real money and greed behind this ill conceived movement isn't going away any time soon.

On another positive note, Colorado College recently published is annual report on "Conservation in the West Poll". Of the seven states the poll focuses on, only Utah's residents supported the transfer of public land to the states, and only by 4% points, which is inside the poll's margin of error. Every other state had majorities (most were quite large) that were opposed to strongly/totally oppose the transfer of public land to the states.

Additionally, almost 80% of respondents across the west were against the removal of National Monument Designations from federal land so designated in the last 10 years (an idea the GOP has been floating). Perhaps most interesting is that a majority of Utah respondents supported and wanted to keep the designations on Bear's Ears and Grand Escalante, something that Utah's politicians are working overtime to do.

So the results of the poll are encouraging, but at the end of the day I don't think public opinion will play as forcefully as developers' money and greed and misguided tea party rage. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I think a lot of the National Monument designations that Obama made will be over turned, and most of them probably should
Bigearl
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby bhennessy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:32 pm

I mistyped in my post...Utah's politicians are working overtime to un-designate Bears Ears and Grand Staircase NMs. Counter to the expressed desires of 2/3 of their constituents.

Bigearl, I'd like to hear your opinion on why Obama's NM designations need to be reversed. It's not like the evil Feds are grabbing hard working people's land...this land was always federally owned and managed on behalf of all Americans and probably had been long before any of us alive today were born. Every president since TR, other than two I believe, regardless of political party has redesignated what is already federal land into National Monuments.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Bigearl » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:19 pm

Actually they are taking those lands away from hard working Americans. Public lands in the west have been grazed by generations of ranchers. Once they become part of the monuments then the grazing rights go away. Not to mention in some cases these new monuments will surround private land tracts that ranch and manage for timber. If the land owners refuse to sell, which they have every right to do, then the access roads begin to conveniently get less and less upkeep. Government ways of pressuring people to sell their private tracts.
I know we're all hunters and love the vast outdoors but always remember there are two sides to every story. Monuments taking away ranchers grazing lands. I'm out! I'll stand and voice my opinion and vote against that every time.
Bigearl
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Chadwick » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:23 pm

Hopefully they just don't undo all of them. Most of the acreage added to national monuments by Obama was an increase in Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument created by GW Bush.

Edit: After making the post above, I was interested to see how big of a problem these national monuments are and how much land they are occupying in the continental U.S. Obama added a lot of land to the National Monuments. Using this link (https://www.nps.gov/archeology/sites/an ... tslist.htm), I added up all the national monuments and parks listed in the continental U.S. and came up with 13,872,017 acres. I included the parks, because a lot of them started as national monuments. That seems like a lot. But, the total acreage of the continental U.S. is 1,996,725,760. So, all the national parks and national moments together represent 0.69% of the land in the continental U.S.
Chadwick
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:01 pm

"GOP chairman seeks $50M to transfer federal land"

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-enviro ... deral-land
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:31 pm

Seems like Utah is the most active state working for this transfer.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:55 pm

and it's not just federal land that's at risk: http://www.oregonwild.org/sites/default ... t_-_ow.pdf
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby twistedoak » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:06 pm

last I heard after pulling the bill ,
they back doored it by attaching it (amendment)to another bill which passed.

and PS
don't give a rats azz about ranchers and their ability to freeload the feeding of their cattle.
this is our land
if its not secure lands(military) ,a preserve or a federal park ,it should be public open use land
twistedoak
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Constructeur » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:39 am

twistedoak wrote:
and PS
don't give a rats azz about ranchers and their ability to freeload the feeding of their cattle.

Bingo. I don't care what ranchers got away with in years of past. I recently heard the Bundys referred to as 'Ya'llSIS'

An American embarrassment is what they are.
Constructeur
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby bhennessy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:28 pm

The Bundy's are just another group who wants something for nothing. In this case they want to ranch our lands but not have to pay for their management. Their argument wants us to believe that that since they live in a given state, the land is rightfully theirs to do with what they want. Like most crackpots however, they simply avoid talking about issues and facts that weaken their argument, like for example the fact that these lands belongs to all Americans, not some nameless, faceless government. The Bundy's would make good politicians though: "don't follow the facts, just look at the shiny bouncing ball".

I've been tracking these issues on the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership (TRCP.org) and petitioning the government through their website. However, there any other organizations that guys are aware of that serve the same/similar purposes? The more times I can register my displeasure with the venal politicians who are threatening our public lands, the better.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby bhennessy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:24 am

Where are we at with this issue? Despite the dumpster fire that is our nation's capitol right now, its been too quiet on this particular topic. The Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership (TRCP) hasn't posted an update since chaffetz was forced by public opinion to pull his bill allowing the sale of 3m acres to Utah.

My fear is they will slide one by us in the superfund site/disaster zone confusion that is DC this year. After imploding on healthcare, congress has some must pass bills they need to get done or the government will shut down by the end of this month. Notwithstanding a surprise move by Ryan to compromise with the Dems (not likely, in his own words), the debt ceiling extension and a bill to fund the government beyond 28 April (ironically the 100th day of trumps administration) both depend on the state of the civil war between the freedom caucus and Tuesday group (moderate republicans). I suspect chaffetz and his merry band of looters and free loaders will attach a rider to one of these must pass bills that will bend us over the table.

I believe this has been posted before, but it bears repeating -- TRCP has several excellent petitions and congressional delegation contact forms regarding sportsmans access, federal land transfers, etc. that are worth signing, if you are so inclined: http://www.trcp.org/what/sportsmens-access/
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:24 pm

Bigearl wrote:Actually they are taking those lands away from hard working Americans. Public lands in the west have been grazed by generations of ranchers. Once they become part of the monuments then the grazing rights go away....
Monuments taking away ranchers grazing lands. I'm out! I'll stand and voice my opinion and vote against that every time.

Actually those lands belong to both hard working as well as not so hard working Americans, and you might have better said, "Public lands have been 'abused' by generations of ranchers", which is more the case. Also, although a common fear amongst those opposed to monuments, in fact grazing rights do not "go away" .

It's going to be a long four years for sportsmen. This is from the 2016 Republican Party Platform: "Congress shall immediately pass universal legislation providing for a timely and orderly mechanism requiring the federal government to convey certain federally controlled public lands to states." And here is the platform in it's entirety, with the environment and natural resources parts beginning on page 18. Be forewarned, you probably should take an antiemetic before reading.
https://prod-cdn-static.gop.com/media/d ... T_12_FINAL[1]-ben_1468872234.pdf
WORKING LINK: https://goo.gl/4rQZpw
Last edited by Christie on Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: trying to fix URL to active link
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion