Hearing protection for hunting?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Hearing protection for hunting?

Postby LongHammer » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:27 pm

I am in the same boat. I started using canal caps. Foam ear plugs on a plastic band. I leave the left one in the canal and the right one just out. Just a quick move pop it in the canal. I would use them with a rifle but shotguns are no problem
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Densa44 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:33 am

Just a word on the smaller gauges. Contrary to popular belief the 12 ga. does not make a bad shot lethal, it is still a miss. At 15 to 20 yards any gun pointed at the bird will be lethal. The pellets from a .410 each carry the same punch as ones from a 12 ga.

If you are shooting pointed birds a .410 is lots, I blew a pheasant in half this year (it flew at me and I couldn't move my feet) and another at 45 yds. It was one my wife was shooting at.

I don't consider myself a good shot.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:13 am

An (older, deafer) Range Safety Officer told me about ones you get that are made by an Audiologist. They deaden blast from the gun but not outside noise. I really need a pair of these.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby seank » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:35 am

A few minor points of clarification... I appreciate the thoughts on the small gauges and have used them, but they dont work for what I do most of the time. Shooting pointed birds in the desert is different than it is in wetter parts of the country. The cover is sparse out here and you are not like to be able to walk right up on scalies or gambels, dog or no. It's pretty common to have a dog holding a covey and still end up with a 40 yard shot or more. I detest losing birds. If they are not hit hard enough or the dog is not fast enough, they run down packrat holes to die. Back in civilized country on bobs or in the mountains on Mearns, I will use #7.5 shot and IC/M chokes. For this stuff, I go to #6 and stick in the modified and full chokes. That said, I didn't switch back from the 20 ga sxs to the pump for more firepower, I did it because I shoot it better and needed to fix whatever I was doing wrong. I feel comfortable going down to a 20 ga and someone might convince me to use a 28 one of these days. But going down to the smaller gauges doesn't resolve the problem of hearing damage, it just stretches it out a bit more.

My intent with this thread was to get ideas and feedback on what people were doing. I appreciate all that info from y'all. It has convnced me to go talk to an audiologist, so that I can get a little more comparative information on my options. I'm feeling like I am down about 30% in my left ear this season, so I need to do something. I will try to raise this thread again when I come to a decision and will let you all know how it works out.

Thanks,

Sean
seank
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Willie T » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:04 am

Sean, go to an ear doctor and pay once for the good ones fitted to you. Cost be damned. I wish someone had advised me to do so when I was a young man. Even at $1000 dollars they would be a bargain if you are able to keep your hearing intact. I am 56 years old and wear hearing aids due to hearing loss attributed to a lifetime of bird hunting without hearing protection. The alternative down the road is A good set of hearing aids, programmed for you. A set will cost in the neighborhood of $4,000-$6,000. Wearing them sucks!
Willie
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby seank » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:02 pm

Just a quick update. Y'all were right about going to see an audiologist. I scheduled two appointments (second opinion, right?). The first was this afternoon. Very nice people who can explain what's going on in your ear, what your options are, etc. And the prices you would pay on line are not what you pay at an audiologist. The set they suggested was one I had looked at on the web last night.

https://www.soundgearhearing.com/collec ... om-product

These have 3 programs. One increases the high range, one increases everything, and one plays your damned phone. It has a volume control on each unit so you can set it for your bad ear and your good one. The in the ear canal units like this one are supposed to have less wind noise. It has a 1 year warranty. She said the units tend to last 3-5 years depending on how hard you use them and how well they are taken care of. They will do maintenance on the at the office. The batteries are an issue. They last about a week, once you pull the plastic piece out whether you use them or not. People who use the units all the time spend about $100 in batteries per year.

The web price was about $1200. The audiologist charges $599 for the pair. The units are custom fit to your ears. The initial appt and the ear canal casting was free. My insurance will not cover any of it because it is hearing protection, not a hearing aid... That's silly, but not a deal killer. I'm going to go check the second place tomorrow and get a set ordered before the holidays. The doc said she could get them in before I get back from visiting the family and before my Mearns quail hunt.

The doc said something else that I thought was interesting. For those of you who use both plugs and muffs on loud firearms at the range, she said it is not additive. If you got 20 dB of reduction from both, you might only get 22-24 dB of reduction from wearing both at the same time. That means those of you who want to shoot your ported magnum that cranks 150dB, you are still going to get some damage in the long run shooting with both plugs and muffs on. That's not going to stop me from shooting, but it reaffirms my dislike of short barreled magnums and ported barrels. She also said these electronic plugs and the baffle plugs are not particularly good for full autos and rapid fire semis. Also not really my bag, so no skin off my back. I mostly shoot side by sides and lever guns these days.

So my left ear is still bad enough that I am going to drop some coin on some sort of in the ear canal electric protection in the next few days. I'll post something about how it works after I get a chance to hunt with it.

Sean
seank
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby blue04 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:08 pm

Those are more or less identical to what I have. I have close to 10 years on mine. I will say that the battery life info you posted may or may not be right. I've used one set of batteries for a lot more than a week. But there are many different types hearing aid batteries, so I don't know if what the doc spoke to you about is the same as my set of hearing protectors use. I do remember my doc saying that battery life would vary based on how much shooting I do. The more compression (sound blocking) the more battery they use. I'd say that's basically true in my experience.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JASmith » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:50 am

I ordered some Prosounds H2P from a crowdsourcing site a few months ago. I'll be excited to give them a try when they come in (probably within the next 2 weeks) They are the noise amplification/cancellation variety. It was 299$ when I ordered them.
Rock Creek Gooseberry (Rebel)
JASmith
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Urban_Redneck » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:40 am

I use electronic muffs for most of my shooting- about 5K shotgun/rifle/pistol rounds a year, Howard Leight brand under $50. I also wear them duck hunting since getting my ear blown out in a blind a few years back. Surefire Defenders have gotten some good reviews for an inexpensive "in the ear" option.

YMMV
Urban_Redneck
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Deuce » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:46 am

This spurred me to look into these for myself. At 30 I have mild tinnitus and figure I should do a bit more to prevent further damage. Having an HSA/FSA, it looks that if you get a medical letter of necessity these types of accounts would cover the cost. I'm going to look further into this with my plan. Would be nice to have the cost covered... or at least come out of an account I couldn't other wise use.
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:13 pm

Urban_Redneck wrote:I use electronic muffs for most of my shooting- about 5K shotgun/rifle/pistol rounds a year, Howard Leight brand under $50. I also wear them duck hunting since getting my ear blown out in a blind a few years back. Surefire Defenders have gotten some good reviews for an inexpensive "in the ear" option.

YMMV

I tried the electronic muffs before I bought my hearing protectors. For me, they didn't work well for wing shooting. I was constantly bumping them with the stock when shouldering my gun, which pushed them up off my ear and defeated the purpose of having them on. On top of that, they were miserable for me to wear in hot weather (early dove, early teal/goose season, etc.). I still use them at the rifle range when sighting in and practicing, but that's about it.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JASmith » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:55 pm

blue04 wrote:I tried the electronic muffs before I bought my hearing protectors. For me, they didn't work well for wing shooting. I was constantly bumping them with the stock when shouldering my gun, which pushed them up off my ear and defeated the purpose of having them on. On top of that, they were miserable for me to wear in hot weather (early dove, early teal/goose season, etc.). I still use them at the rifle range when sighting in and practicing, but that's about it.

Agreed on all counts, which is why I went with the in-ear electronic amplification and cancellation type.
Rock Creek Gooseberry (Rebel)
JASmith
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:30 pm

Just made an appointment for tomorrow with an audiologist to discuss needs and options. I'll report back.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby seank » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:05 pm

I ended up ordering the sound gear set linked in my post above. They are supposed to be in when I get back from the holidays.

In the meantime, I woke up nearly stone deaf in the left ear this morning. It improved through the morning, but had tinnitus all day that ramped up and down. Aside from the wake up, it was better today. Hopefully it will continue to improve. The injury itself was pretty minor compared to the time the guy let off a 3.5" 12 ga next to my ear a couple of years ago, but the effect was pretty similar. Honestly all it took to do this was shooting 5 rounds of low brass on a quail hunt. It seems that at some point, your body can just say "enough with the abuse dumbass".
seank
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:58 pm

I told the Wife this evening I was going to make an appt to get going with some hearing protection. I have been hunting a lot and my left ear is hurting because of it. I am going to be wearing a foam ear plug in my left ear when I hunt until I can get something better. Thanks for bringing this up Sean.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion