NY Waterfowling

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

NY Waterfowling

Postby Deacon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:14 pm

I thought some of you might enjoy a short video I made up of our swamp. The video shows the birds coming back to roost. I think it is safe to say that I have enough duck in the freezer to try out a whole slew of new recipes this year. We still have 2 weeks left, starting the 1st of the year. Given that winter has arrived, it could be a good 2 weeks on both Lake Ontario, and the Finger Lakes, where the water never freezes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfUI7w5NqUg
Deacon
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: NY Waterfowling

Postby mtlhdr » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:34 pm

That was cool! I'm not much of duck guy, what species you seeing?
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby EMK » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:41 pm

Send some of those birds down state!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hunted early season in central NY between I-88 and I-81 form BINGO up to Utica. Great and Finger Lakes are much better. Awesome Video.
EMK
Started
Started

Postby Deacon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:55 pm

The birds in the video are predominantly wood ducks. About the same number of mallards had already roosted by the time the video was taken. There are some mallards, and GW Teal in the video as well however. I think we only shot 6 species out of that swamp this year.

EMK - I have many friends in my NAVHDA chapter down by you. We have better duck hunting up here but you have much better grouse hunting down there!
Deacon
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby EMK » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:33 pm

Deacon wrote:The birds in the video are predominantly wood ducks. About the same number of mallards had already roosted by the time the video was taken. There are some mallards, and GW Teal in the video as well however. I think we only shot 6 species out of that swamp this year.

EMK - I have many friends in my NAVHDA chapter down by you. We have better duck hunting up here but you have much better grouse hunting down there!

Deacon. I am even further downstate in Rockland County. I have access to properties in that area of the state and have had several coronaries this deer season walking in low light from my stand with flushing birds. Going to get out for grouse weather permitting after Christmas. Good Luck!
EMK
Started
Started

Postby LongHammer » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:44 pm

That is more birds than I have seen in 4 seasons of trying to duck hunt here in Arizona. Some of those looked in range. Well AZ range. But hell we shoot sawbills and coots and call it duck hunting. Post up some pics it's great to see people shoot non divers.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Deacon » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:20 am

I took that video with my Iphone. Most of those birds are a lot closer than they appear.

The next two photos show the type of cover the birds roost in...
dempsey icy black.jpg

snowstorm mallard.jpg

and the obligatory tailgate shot early in the season...
w zone hero shot.JPG

The grass is always greener. I wait all year just for two weeks in January to shoot divers. I am hoping this cold front hangs around. We need it to beat up on the redheads and scaup in January.
Deacon
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Densa44 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:14 am

Good for you! Are those dogs PPs?
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:30 pm

I shot my first mallard Drake ever thursday. You have a table full of trophies there. What is that white stuff on those branches in the first 2 pics? :lol:
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Deacon » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:32 pm

Is there any other breed?! The dog on the left is Cedarwoods Flying High Again and the dog on the right is Cedarwoods Mojo Risin. Both dogs are pictured in the Cedarwoods Kennel waterfowl gallery.

Here is another from the same roost. I find that puddle ducks really like to roost in the thickest cover available. This is the type of cover that a dog can start a duck search and quickly find himself out of sight, and hearing, and thus lost to the handler.
Attachments
last palermo drake 2.jpg
Deacon
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:21 pm

Great photos, swamp, beautiful dogs, hunts ... Yea it looks like duck search skills and drive would come into play a lot in that swamp. Look forward to your Diver Hunt posts.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Deacon » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:17 am

You have a table full of trophies there.

We shoot so many wood ducks and mallards that we take them, and their beauty, for granted. Again the grass is always greener. I see the pictures from Mr. Schwartz and those pintails and dream of seeing birds like that. In Arizona you have Cinnamon Teal, which is a bucket list item for me.

I think the one duck which people on the east coast really overlook as a trophy is the black duck. I think they are spectacular.

1st black.JPG
Deacon
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JTracyII » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:39 pm

Deacon wrote:Is there any other breed?! The dog on the left is Cedarwoods Flying High Again and the dog on the right is Cedarwoods Mojo Risin. Both dogs are pictured in the Cedarwoods Kennel waterfowl gallery.

Here is another from the same roost. I find that puddle ducks really like to roost in the thickest cover available. This is the type of cover that a dog can start a duck search and quickly find himself out of sight, and hearing, and thus lost to the handler.

Hey deacon,

Nice dogs and pics! What type of neoprene vest do you have on your dog in the pic? It looks to fit nicely? Did you have to alter it much?
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Smilin Jack » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:44 pm

Love the Black Duck just not early season in poor light . Seen a few shot thinking it was a Hen Mallard ??? Great eating too ..... My PP has her own Cabela's vest , Velcro closures , extra flotation model for extra warmth ...
If You Can't be a Good Example then You will just have to Serve as a Horrible Warning
Smilin Jack
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Deacon » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:56 pm

What type of neoprene vest do you have on your dog in the pic

It is a Browning vest. I am not sure when they came on the market. I bought this one before this season. It is the best fitting vest I have found, including the Cabela's and Avery. It has 3 Velcro points of attachment across the back, and one across each shoulder, making it quite adjustable. I haven't altered it yet, but if I do, it will be to cut the armpits back. If the vest becomes covered in stick-tights, they chafe the armpits to the point that the dog really suffers.
Deacon
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion