Bald Eagle!

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Bald Eagle!

Postby Densa44 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:42 pm

I saw my first Bald Eagle in Alberta, we are 1,000 miles from salt water. All the water here is frozen solid, the gophers are asleep, the water fowl are all gone, so other than mice, we have lots I don't know what the poor guy is going to eat.

It better not be dogs and cats.

Any one know where he came from? Do they migrate too? Do you think he is a new immigrant driven out by Trump?
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Bald Eagle!

Postby gwp4me2 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:57 pm

They do migrate. There are lots of bald eagles who never get anywhere near the ocean. They are more than happy to take fresh food but they are also scavengers and will feed on the biggame that dies or gets hit on the road.

Most of the Trump haters don't have enough self motivation to actually move that far :shock:
gwp4me2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby oldtimer » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:45 pm

I live in ND and there are Eagles everywhere.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Duckdon » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:44 pm

Keep him. They are a Fckin nuisance around these parts.
Don and Crew
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby slistoe » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:09 am

They are not common, but it certainly is not unusual to see them in these parts. They are carrion eaters so this time of the year the eating is good with the # of wildlife killed on highways. Then a cold snap like this sets in and winter hardship takes its toll on wildlife - another bonus for the eagle.

We saw two in one location while deer hunting this fall - a mature and an immature eagle. They were feeding on a deer carcass along with the magpies and ravens. That was up by Brownfield. Saw another one while hunting up near Heisler as well. Then there is the one that frequents the area just a mile south of me - seen him a few times this fall.

You should take a boat trip a few miles downstream from Nevis bridge this summer and see the nesting colony of Turkey Vultures - now there is an ugly bird!
slistoe
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Chadwick » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:08 pm

Out where we train, the eagles routinely pick off training birds. As soon as you set up, they show up and wait in the trees.
Chadwick
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:21 pm

What Don said. Along the coast, there are more of them than Seagulls. I think they're too fat to fly very well because they don't have to go look for food.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby woodboro » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:55 pm

Main tributary is a large river by me , but half of it locks up , and the other half is open.
I see a decline of eagles , but they hang all winter (5-6 months)

They feed on car kills , wolf kills, and will take out mice and other birds.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:04 pm

Last winter we were driving to church on a narrow rural blacktop when a big adult Bald Eagle flew up out of the culvert and narrowly missed my front grill. It was not more than 10 feet above my hood and windshield as I braked hard and it banked up to avoid a collision. It had been feeding on a roadkilled deer in the culvert. See quite a few around here through the winter and there is pair that nests on the river in the area. When I hunt on the river for late season waterfowl I might see a dozen or more.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bhennessy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:06 am

Phenomenal animal, which we came very close eradicating due to DDT usage, predation, habitat destruction, etc. I was taxing in a Orlando airport last spring and one flew right by the airplane.

In the 60s there were fewer than 500 nesting pairs left and now there are over 100,000 due to smart conservation and regulation. It gives me a little hope for quail in the south.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:20 am

We have them by the dozen here. They feed off the dead hogs that get dumped from the confinement buildings.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:17 pm

We have a nesting pair at one of the reservoirs I work on in the west slope Sierra Nevada and I see several over the fall and winter at the reservoir near my house. I took this ok photo of one finishing up dining on a bird at a northern CA wildlife refuge.

mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JASmith » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Chadwick wrote:Out where we train, the eagles routinely pick off training birds. As soon as you set up, they show up and wait in the trees.

Funny you say that, I was at a NAVHDA testing weekend in September and a dog was running his UT water retrieve, and guess what swoops in as he's swimming out after the duck? Damn eagle stole his retrieve.
Rock Creek Gooseberry (Rebel)
JASmith
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby LongHammer » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:51 pm

I live in Arizona and we had one watching us duck hunt Thursday morning. I have not seen one in years.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:56 am

in Alaska a few years ago I got into photographing eagles because they were so common. At one point I tried to use a slow shutter speed to impart the sense of motion but keeping the head sharp ... burnt up lots of time doing it.

Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion