Prickly Pear Cactus

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Prickly Pear Cactus

Postby hicntry » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:34 am

AverageGuy wrote:A spot where you can take 45 quail in a day would draw all of us into the cactus I suspect! Nice job JTracyII.

Very doubtful. If it was true, more of "all of us" would use their versatile dogs for hogs. They won't because they are attached to their one/two dogs.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:58 pm

There are regions in the southwest where cactus and rattlesnakes are hazards you have to contend with. Man and beast learn how to deal with it. For me it is less daunting than the dangerous terrain, bears, and wolves others deal with in their neck of the woods.
Willie
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:12 pm

Easily into 5 figures of birddogs ran through the cactus and rocks this weekend in search of quail across the lower MW and SW. No big deal and has nothing in common with hunting hogs.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:00 pm

Willie T wrote:There are regions in the southwest where cactus and rattlesnakes are hazards you have to contend with. Man and beast learn how to deal with it. For me it is less daunting than the dangerous terrain, bears, and wolves others deal with in their neck of the woods.
Willie

If it isn't dangerous terrain for a dog, why do they need to be covered in inner tubes and vet wrap in this particular area? How about a reality check.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:08 pm

AverageGuy wrote:Easily into 5 figures of birddogs ran through the cactus and rocks this weekend in search of quail across the lower MW and SW. No big deal and has nothing in common with hunting hogs.
''

You have no idea if there were easily five figures of dogs run through this terrain or not. Why are the birds there in such numbers? Because the natural predators are smarter than many dog owners.....they hunt around it and not in it. When it comes down to it, it is your dog and you can put them at risk if you want. If it was my dog...and I only had one, or maybe two. I wouldn't be hunting them where I had to armor plate them and hope they didn't get injured. I have one dog now that has 13 generations of dangerous game behind him. Would I put this dog in jepardy? Not a chance. My need to be "one of the boys" is the least of my priorities.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:31 pm

HICntry

You have no idea how far off base you are on this. Running bird dogs through cactus while quail hunting is no big deal. Boot em up and go. The birds are there because prickly pear is a food source. AZ has 98K upland bird hunters alone. If only one tenth hunted this weekend with a dog that 5 figures. http://www.nssf.org/pdf/research/huntin ... vation.pdf
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:10 pm

AG, if they were all willing to put there dog at risk, I am sure we would see more hog hunting stories. All you got to do is buy a vest for them and they will be safe...right. I am not saying there are not people stupid enough to put their only dog at risk..... just not as many as you might believe. That dog is the family pet, wives favorite dog, the kids best friend.....and the list goes on as to why they won't.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:12 pm

Hicntry, no disrespect intended. Stickers are part of the landscape when you get in the arid regions. The wildlife and the people learn to work around it. Dogs usually adapt like the coyotes do, but sometimes they get stickers. The hunters adapt after they get a few as well. I have spent a good deal of time trying to keep hogs from rooting up pasture with dogs. When a dog is trying to hem up a hog, he is pressing the issue, and the right hog will hurt a dog. When a dog gets in a sticker patch he will back out and either pick his way through or around it. In both instances a high level of focus is required, but the consequences of a mistake don't compare.
Willie
P.S. Mostly hunted cur dogs but the best hog dog I ever witnessed was a big Airdale named Wire. One salty dog!
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby LongHammer » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:16 am

hicntry wrote:
AverageGuy wrote:Easily into 5 figures of birddogs ran through the cactus and rocks this weekend in search of quail across the lower MW and SW. No big deal and has nothing in common with hunting hogs.
''

You have no idea if there were easily five figures of dogs run through this terrain or not. Why are the birds there in such numbers? Because the natural predators are smarter than many dog owners.....they hunt around it and not in it. When it comes down to it, it is your dog and you can put them at risk if you want. If it was my dog...and I only had one, or maybe two. I wouldn't be hunting them where I had to armor plate them and hope they didn't get injured. I have one dog now that has 13 generations of dangerous game behind him. Would I put this dog in jepardy? Not a chance. My need to be "one of the boys" is the least of my priorities.

If cactus is really even considered a risk rather than an inconvenience you are better off on the patio snuggling. :lol: Cactus is everywhere here in AZ to avoid it would mean riding the couch. Why would you have a hunting dog you don't hunt? I think your need to be "one of the boys" is stronger than you think........
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby bhennessy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:06 pm

I just got back from western OK where my 2 yr old Griff and I had a blast and saw more quail in one day than we have seen in two years here in the deep south. I'll post our experiences in the appropriate section for those that are interested and can make the trip, but suffice to say we both had a ball. Yes, we got into every manner of stickers, burrs, cockle burrs, sand spurs and something completely evil that was almost hair-like in width and had covered Bear's shins by the end of each day. Even the predominant brush had huge thorns.

Boots - check, vest - check, duct tape - check, on our first two days I put it all on him and I'm sure it did some good. However, the prickly pear would go right through the boots on occasion, his toes were beginning to rub bare, and the invisible hair-like stickers would always find a way into his shins, and finally he really hated all the gear. So on our last day of the trip I took it all off for our last couple hours and wouldn't you know he hunted/ranged better and harder without all the stuff on, and I observed him working to avoid the prickly pear especially when he wasn't focused on a covey or a single.

I will say the very few guys I saw out there had big ranging GSPs and Setters who weren't wearing any armor. I suspect that just like people, experience is key and the more times a dog is in a given environment, the smarter he/she gets. So when I go back next year I think I'll start with booties until I see him working to avoid the nasty stuff again, and then take them off.

Perhaps the funniest thing I've ever seen is Bear trying to get used to wearing booties around my house --he spent the first 30 minutes giving me his best prancing stallion imitation.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby bhennessy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:07 pm

I forgot to mention that on our last day when I took his vest and booties off I coated his chest, legs and beard with baby oil (thank you to whomever posted that tip on another thred) and the few cockleburs Bear did pick up came out of his fur very easily.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby centershots » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:16 am

We were also recently in Oklahoma hunting with our four Griffs. We use Coveyrise64 inner tube boots method. (Thank you again sir.) But I use electrical tape instead of duct tape. I found the electrical tape easier to put on, easier to take off and it has some give to it. We put the vet wrap on, Musher's secret on the paws, top and bottom, to help with the rubbing of the boots then put boots on with electrical tape. We hunted some really rough areas for a month straight and all the pups paws held up really well. We made a few set of the boots because we had to pick out the cactus needles from the boots most every night. If we didn't get that done, we had another set ready to go. FYI, we used 3.0 - 3.25 for our female and two six month old pups and 3.5 for our big male.
George DeCosta, Jr.
www.huntinggriff.com
centershots
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby hicntry » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:27 pm

Well, I will have to call Uncle on this topic. Apparently if that is the environment you have, you got to work with it. I think part of the problem, to me, is we don't have that environment here, And since my dogs are totally free range hunters and may be 5 miles away, I don't want them in that environment because they disregard everything when they are after something. I cant imagine spending hours cleaning a dog up after the hunt.....much less putting all that stuff on them before you start. Guess in reality it is no more hassle than gluing drain tubes in and dealing with broken ribs etc. Guess it is what you are used to pretty much.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Coveyrise64 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:02 pm

centershots wrote:We were also recently in Oklahoma hunting with our four Griffs. We use Coveyrise64 inner tube boots method. (Thank you again sir.) But I use electrical tape instead of duct tape. I found the electrical tape easier to put on, easier to take off and it has some give to it. We put the vet wrap on, Musher's secret on the paws, top and bottom, to help with the rubbing of the boots then put boots on with electrical tape. We hunted some really rough areas for a month straight and all the pups paws held up really well. We made a few set of the boots because we had to pick out the cactus needles from the boots most every night. If we didn't get that done, we had another set ready to go. FYI, we used 3.0 - 3.25 for our female and two six month old pups and 3.5 for our big male.

Glad you enjoyed your trip. The weather was a little more agreeable this time around. I use electrical tape from time to time. I like to carry it and an extra boot in my vest. Since it gives or stretches a little you have to be careful and not pull it too tight. The more narrow the strand the bigger chance of getting it too tight. The other thing is to get tape that is temperature rated. If it is cold the tape can become a little stiff and hard to work with. What I do like is you can make one continuous wrap starting with the back flap and then folding the front flap. Easy to get off for sure.

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

"There are always going to be those who prefer to freeze in the dark rather than put forth the effort to light a fire." ~ Lvrdg07
Coveyrise64
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby centershots » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:44 pm

Yep, that's exactly how how do it with electrical tape. I purchase the expensive tape that stays flexible is the cold... and you're right on the money (of course...) on not too tight. I start on the back pull the tape out so there's not much pressure, go around once to capture some tape on the vet-wrap. Then back around, fold front flap down and continue with the tapping. I always cut off on the right side so the end of the tape is always in the same spot. Comes off all in one piece, easy on... easy off. I also have medical scissors in the car and if the dogs have been swimming and in the mud I'll just go to the seem of the boot and cut straight up and pull the boot off. I do carry some electrical tape in the first aid kit that I have in the field with me. I can use it for the boots if needed and also for other emergencies.

Since you gave me the info on these boots we've used them hundreds of times. Absolutely the best luck we've had... and we've used lots of store bought boots over the years.

Thank you again for sending me the info on these, really appreciate it.
George DeCosta, Jr.
www.huntinggriff.com
centershots
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion