pudelpointer and porcupines

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

pudelpointer and porcupines

Postby rman » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:08 am

I have a 1.5 yr old pudelpointer that's gotten into porcupines the last couple of times out. she's held point forever and not engaged until I released stepped in front of her I just didn't see it either time. She left several alone last year, but she was still a puppy and they were all in the open. Luckily, she's a sweet dog that leaves them alone as soon as I say leave it and sits patiently while I pull the quills out. I can't say enough about the temperment of Bob's dogs. just looking for overall advice on porcupines.
One more question for pudelpointer owners about when to use a vest. She's not a slick, but doesn't have a lot of hair and gets cold pretty in the water. Should I use a vest when hunting mixed water and sage brush in the 30's, or will she overheat while casting through the sage?

Thanks
rman
Started
Started

Re: pudelpointer and porcupines

Postby orhunter » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:53 am

A lot of guys will porcupine break a dog just like snake breaking. It will work very well.

The cold problem is probably just a conditioning thing. Most of us keep our dogs in the house with us and they don't get sufficient outdoor exposure to build up a resistance to cold. Try adding a skid plate type vest that covers the bare underbelly will go a long way in keeping a dog warm. If the dog starts to pant, take it off and tuck it in your vest pocket. I hunted my Griff in lots of frozen fog and she would get cold if we stopped for a break so I kept breaks short and got back to hunting right away. Bob's dogs are well conditioned and he duck hunts them in temperatures down into single digits all the time.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby rman » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:28 am

she spends all day outside and only gets cold on the water retrieves. I've only owned labs before, so adjusting to a lighter coat is still a learning experience.
rman
Started
Started

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:35 pm

I use an Avery dog vest on my GWPs when hunting waterfowl in cold temps. But there is no way they could wear the vest while doing upland search in 30 degree temps for any length of time. If all a dog is doing is making a single water retrieve and then going back to upland searching I would see no need for a vest, so I may not understand your situation accurately.

If I lived where the porkies were common I would snatch up the first fresh road kill I found and do some ecollar avoidance training. And do the same on every live one I came across while hunting until the dog gets the message and avoids them on its own.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:08 pm

As far as porkies are concerned, I kind of learned when it is not a bird, porkies and skunks so far. The skunk was the easiest to learn. I shoot the porkies and the dog leaves them alone.

My dogs all wear bright orange velcro held vests to protect their bellies and reduce the chances some one will shoot them as if they were a deer.

Cold water, here is my theory, my dogs don't know water gets warm, and they are in it all the time and love duck hunting, so they don't wear a bathing suit. They do feel the heat even from the flimsy orange vest. I dry them off before putting them back in their kennels, or just load them in the cab.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:46 pm

My old Griff would get cold sitting in the blind so every half hour or so I'd let her go for a swim to warm up.

Having something that wicks away water like a pad made out of a cheap Polartec blanket will help as well as having a small blanket to toss over the dog.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby rman » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:49 pm

I've never used a vest before, so I'm just now learning when and how to use them. I figured she'd get too hot, I was just looking for others experience.

Thanks
rman
Started
Started

Postby blue04 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:08 pm

Too hot depends on the dog and the outside temp. However....

I don't know precisely what you mean by "sage". But the upland habitat I run my dogs in regularly would SHRED a neoprene vest very quickly. Skid plates are a different deal, but neoprene doesn't do well with any type of brambles. I'd hate to see you shred an expensive new vest.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:19 pm

And a skid plate will offer next to nothing for keeping a dog warm in water.

I remain confused exactly what the hunting situation/application is. I expect a dog hunting upland that takes a quick dip in the water and goes right back to searching in the sage in 30 degree temps will dry off and be just fine in terms of not getting cold in the first place.

rman, if you think you still need some help on this it would be helpful to give us a little more detail on the concern you posed. Just trying to be helpful if I can.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:04 pm

if the dog is shivering it would be helped with a vest. PP's coats are not oily like labs and they aren't as good in cold water. I routinely use one if the outside temp is below 40. I never use a vest for upland game hunting or jump shooting ducks, as there is as much problem getting too hot as too cold. Cant say about porcupines ... my pp got two quills in an alteration this past September and seems to bark at them now. Didn't have to use collar. Some dogs learn; some don't.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:58 pm

Post is a bit confusing. If she points porkies now, she WILL grab one eventually. Trash break her like others have said. No V dog needs a vest if they are hunting upland and water, only if they are waterfowl only.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:58 pm

Double Post
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby rman » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:50 pm

That's about what I was figuring for heat management.
For trash breaking, is there a full description anywhere (ie: link etc). I found a porcupine the next day and gave her a leave it command with strong stim just before. How close is that to what I should be doing, and how exactly do you do it with snakes?

Thanks
rman
Started
Started

Return to General Discussion