New Puppy - Must Have Gear?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: New Puppy - Must Have Gear?

Postby TarHeel » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:24 am

What size crate is best for a new puppy?
TarHeel
Started
Started

Postby Willie T » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:15 pm

I base a crate purchase for a new puppy on the anticipated adult size.
You have received some good advice. My grandpa gave me my first bird dog 40 something years ago. I trained the dog and he trained me. What he told me then, holds true today; "the number one thing that bird dog needs is birds". A lifetime of trials and tribulations with them has taught me that patience and consistency are key as well.
My advice to a first time owner preparing for ownership, would be make two lists. The first would be a list of the things you want the puppy to be able to do one day. The second list would be the things you don't want your dog to do. Now you have a road map. You can then sit down with an experienced owner handler to help you break down your list, and give your training clarity and purpose.
Willie
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby NC-DD » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:09 am

I bought a 36" Vari Kennel for the house -- but I knew I was getting a smaller framed female. She has an Intermediate (32") Rough Tough in the car and she fits fine for travel.

You'll likely have to just take your best guess. Another option is to check craigslist. Lots of people buy crates with puppies, and then never crate them again after the house breaking process. You may be able to find a deal there and then not really worry too much if they grow out of it and you need to go a size up. Just a thought.
NC-DD
Started
Started

Postby TarHeel » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:17 am

Thanks everyone. I was not sure if it was better to buy a small one to start with and then buy a larger one as the puppy grows. All I can say is I am pumped up!!
TarHeel
Started
Started

Previous

Return to General Discussion