New Puppy - Must Have Gear?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

New Puppy - Must Have Gear?

Postby TarHeel » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:44 pm

Hope this finds everyone doing well. I might have finally found my GWP puppy and wanted to reach out and see some things you guys might recommend to have for him at the time I bring him home. It has been about 15 yrs since I have had a puppy around. He will be inside and out and kennel trained for sure. Thanks in advance!!
TarHeel
Started
Started

Re: New Puppy - Must Have Gear?

Postby aaronk » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:20 pm

Besides a properly sized crate for crate training and housebreaking I'd recommend plenty of patience, paper towels and chew toys!
aaronk
Started
Started

Postby NC-DD » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:16 pm

I was in your shoes not too long ago. The most important things to have that I use regularly are:

Crate - I went with a plastic Vari-Kennel for the house, and a Rough Tough kennel for my vehicle. I have been happy with both.
Old Towels - Start collecting them now. Don't buy a fancy crate mat/bed for a puppy... THEY WILL ruin it. Start with towels, and once they are older get them a nice pad for the crate.
Chew Toys - My pup really enjoys Benebones, Classic Kongs, and elk antlers. Everyone has their opinion, but I choose to stay away from the squeaky toys.
E-Collar - You won't need it for a while, but the holiday season is upon us and I'm sure there will be some deals on these over the next month or so. My pup started wearing her e-collar (not charged, turned off) while we were off having fun at about 10 weeks old. Never too early to start carrying it around.
Food Bin - Something air tight to keep your bag of dog food in- I went with a Vittles Vault.
Greyhound Comb - to keep the beard tangle/dreadlock free :)

My last suggestion would just be to prepare yourself. Read everything you can get your hands on in regards to picking a breeder/litter, raising a puppy, training, and testing. There are a ton of awesome threads on this forum that will guide you, but you will encounter a million opinions on how to do things. Take each with a grain of salt, and decide for yourself if a certain method is right for you and your dog.

PM me if you'd like and I can dig up some threads and resources that I found most useful.
NC-DD
Started
Started

Postby TarHeel » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:07 pm

Just sent pm.
TarHeel
Started
Started

Postby 3drahthaars » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:16 pm

I would strongly heed the words of NC-DD.

She was the most well-prepared, versatile dog puppy researcher/buyer that I've encountered in 25 years.

Other than the fact that she plucks her pup's eyebrows (it's a Drahthaar not a Barbie) :wink: , she has an amazingly well-trained and superbly exposed little DD right now that will hopefully get her first duck retrieve(s) tomorrow AM.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby NC-DD » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:43 pm

3drahthaars wrote:Other than the fact that she plucks her pup's eyebrows (it's a Drahthaar not a Barbie)s

Haha :lol:
NC-DD
Started
Started

Postby TarHeel » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:07 pm

Funny stuff! I am and NC-DD has been a huge help already. I had a GWP puppy pass away very young before I could bring them home and now in search again. NC-DD has me interested in a DD again. :D
TarHeel
Started
Started

Postby Urban_Redneck » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:35 am

Puppy check cord from GDS, it's light enough for pup to drag around and does not absorb moisture.
Urban_Redneck
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby LA DD » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:52 am

New to the forum, and hopeful soon-to-be owner of DD pup. Sorry NC-DD, I borrowed ...heavily... from your username to expedite my signup process. Can you guys recommend a size for the vari crate? I ordered the puppy manual, but have to wait a bit for shipment. Thanks, Nick
LA DD
Pup
Pup

Postby OBXDD » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:56 am

I know everyone likes "gear" but the most important item for a new puppy in my opinion is a place that you can go weekly to run/train/hunt. There are many training groups, dog leases etc.. if you look hard enough. A well bred versatile is an extremely intelligent animal and will learn more from exposure and following its nose than he ever will on the training table. Contact groups in your area now whether it be NAVHDA, VDD, NASTRA and go to some of their events and I bet you will find a lot of the members have a place the meet and train regularly.
OBXDD
Started
Started

Postby 3drahthaars » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:29 pm

OBXDD wrote:I know everyone likes "gear" but the most important item for a new puppy in my opinion is a place that you can go weekly to run/train/hunt. There are many training groups, dog leases etc.. if you look hard enough. A well bred versatile is an extremely intelligent animal and will learn more from exposure and following its nose than he ever will on the training table. Contact groups in your area now whether it be NAVHDA, VDD, NASTRA and go to some of their events and I bet you will find a lot of the members have a place the meet and train regularly.

X2!

And, or a hunting trip to the Midwest or wherever for real wild birds.

A week in ND can do more for the equivalent $s than several months of release launcher pigeons.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby NC-DD » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:32 am

OBXDD wrote:I know everyone likes "gear" but the most important item for a new puppy in my opinion is a place that you can go weekly to run/train/hunt. There are many training groups, dog leases etc.. if you look hard enough. A well bred versatile is an extremely intelligent animal and will learn more from exposure and following its nose than he ever will on the training table. Contact groups in your area now whether it be NAVHDA, VDD, NASTRA and go to some of their events and I bet you will find a lot of the members have a place the meet and train regularly.

Yes! -- I have been extremely fortunate to have met, fallen in with, and now train with both OBXDD & 3drahthaars. We see each other at our training grounds ~weekly and I can tell every week what this regular exposure is doing for my pup. She's gets exposure to birds, water, forest, rabbits, swamp, other dogs (very important for a puppy imho), and learns to use her nose each visit.

The other side to this is that you will also likely be training/hunting with other people (people similar to those on this forum) who care a lot about the versatile breeds and have a lot more experience raising/training them than you do. I have found that as long as you show an interest and ask questions most people are happy to help you-- this will get you and your pup through the formalized training part of the equation.
NC-DD
Started
Started

Postby 3drahthaars » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:28 am

NC-DD wrote:

Yes! -- I have been extremely fortunate to have met, fallen in with, and now train with both OBXDD & 3drahthaars. We see each other at our training grounds ~weekly and I can tell every week what this regular exposure is doing for my pup. She's gets exposure to birds, water, forest, rabbits, swamp, other dogs (very important for a puppy imho), and learns to use her nose each visit.

The other side to this is that you will also likely be training/hunting with other people (people similar to those on this forum) who care a lot about the versatile breeds and have a lot more experience raising/training them than you do. I have found that as long as you show an interest and ask questions most people are happy to help you-- this will get you and your pup through the formalized training part of the equation.

I hope this isn't mis-interpreted as a rant, but one small caveat to training days, groups and such:

There are gamers and there are hunters... I personally believe that you don't do a versatile dog justice by training the Hell out of it for 2 or 3 tests a year and hunting it only 2 or 3 days each season.

NC-DD and OBXDD will and have respectively run tests in both NAVHDA and JGHV. But, I can attest that they are primarily HUNTERS and their pups/dogs reflect just that, i.e. well trained, but more importantly well exposed dogs that can really hunt.

I see these pups weekly, and they have learned how to use their snoot and follow their noses to expand their searches for game. They are independent and confident, yet they are very cooperative in checking back regularly. Their handlers WATCH them, notice, and appreciate the nuances of how they work... whereas some handlers miss everything between the tailgate and the actual indication of game (i.e. point), and a HUNTER knows that there's a lot of interesting and important stuff going on in between.

I think training days are wonderful, but they are "robotic" in nature, an assembly line if you will to walk through the steps of training for various test subjects.

A good hunting dog has to understand that there are potentially more than 2 or 3 birds within 100 yards of the tailgate, and that after release launcher #3 it doesn't necessarily get crated again until a subsequent test and/or training subject. Practicing what one preaches, I waited until 8mo to take my own pup to NODAK... and her first encounters with birds were WILD game Huns, Sharptails, Pheasants, and waterfowl. After my first 3 Drahthaars, planted quail that didn't fly well, many frustrations, and a lot of untraining bad habits learned from planted birds, I had finally learned how to do it correctly. It takes birds to train a bird dog, eh?

Again, training days, groups, etc. are great. But, getting pup into the field and water and exposing it to the "world" and wild game is SO important in the first year of development.

Getting back to the OP... EXPOSURE and HUNTING, it's a "Must Have"...

Just my $.02,

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:25 pm

3ds,

I have a game farm about 6 miles up the road from where I live. I could easily pour the pen raised morons to my current puppy but do not. I do not like what a young dog learns about crowding strong smelling less than wary released birds and I also think the pup gets no opportunity to learn what cover types wild birds prefer, their lesser scent and behavior. So we hunt a sparse population of wild quail and pheasants locally several times a week and make our trips to last remaining strongholds of wild bird populations to get into better bird numbers. When the season is over I will use pigeons to teach formal steadiness.

I made more use of pen raised birds on my prior puppies. And I think it brought more negative with it than positives. Avoiding them on this pup so far.

Seems we have walked the same path and come to similar views on this.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby TarHeel » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:57 pm

Thanks for all the info and wise words. I will have my DD puppy in about 6 weeks and I am pumped up and trying to get my rest. Ha.
TarHeel
Started
Started

Next

Return to General Discussion