Feeding before the hunt

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Feeding before the hunt

Postby K Locke » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:41 pm

What is your feeding schedule (for your dog of course) before, during, and after an all day upland hunt? I read an article today suggesting feeding the evening before and not again until well after the hunt. I'm curious what works for others.
K Locke
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Feeding before the hunt

Postby orhunter » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:17 pm

Hunting or not, a person should not change the schedule the dog is on. The key is having the correct schedule to begin with. Generally speaking, dogs should not have a meal in their gut during strenuous exercise and since exercise generally occurs during daylight hours, we let them sleep off the major meal at the end of the day and through the night. That is not to say they can't eat at other times. If a person feeds in the early AM, it should not be more than a snack, and a little one at that. Occasional tiny snacks (small piece of french toast) after 4 or 5 hours of hunting, can keep a dog from getting an upset stomach as some will do. Depends on the dog. After Chukar hunting for seven or eight hours, I'll give the dog whatever I have left in my vest as we approach the truck so she can relax a bit without going crazy with hunger before she's fed the big meal a while later. Feeding the big meal in two servings isn't a bad idea after a hard day.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdon » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:40 pm

I feed mature dogs once a day in the evening. Pups get fed twice a day, after the morning hunt and again in the evening.
Don and Crew
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:10 pm

If it were a one day hunt, I'd do as you described. Feed the night before, then nothing the next day till the hunting is done.

However, my dogs are sometimes too wiped out to eat much at the end of a full day's hunting. So if you're hunting two days (or more) in a row, this is a problem. In these cases, I either get up early and feed a half day's portion (if it will be at least a couple of hours before the dogs are out running) or feed about 25% of a day's portion in the morning and 75% in the evening.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby oldtimer » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:42 pm

If I am hunting at say 8, I will feed 1 cup of food when I get up. Say @6. Then I hunt my dogs. When I go for lunch, say a 2 hr break, I feed my dogs a half pound of deer or moose scraps. Then hunt on. At night before bed I feed them another half pound of raw meat with another cup of 30/20 premium dog food. I know it is against conventional wisdom, but I have found it to be the best way to keep my dogs fresh. I never give them much food at any one time. I have seen dogs die of bloat. The raw meat keeps them ripped and healthy. NOTHING KEEPS WEIGHT ON A DOG LIKE RAW ORGAN MEAT AND MUSCLE MEAT FED AT THE CORRECT RATIO.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ForestDump » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:40 am

I never hunt or work a dog with food in its stomach. I try feed 12-14 hours before so I'll generally feed at 6 or 8pm in the evening. If I do give something before the dogs work it will be a supplement powder like superfuel or rf1. These are easily absorbed and used into the dogs system without loading down its gut.

oldtimer wrote:If I am hunting at say 8, I will feed 1 cup of food when I get up. Say @6. Then I hunt my dogs. When I go for lunch, say a 2 hr break, I feed my dogs a half pound of deer or moose scraps. Then hunt on. At night before bed I feed them another half pound of raw meat with another cup of 30/20 premium dog food. I know it is against conventional wisdom, but I have found it to be the best way to keep my dogs fresh. I never give them much food at any one time. I have seen dogs die of bloat. The raw meat keeps them ripped and healthy. NOTHING KEEPS WEIGHT ON A DOG LIKE RAW ORGAN MEAT AND MUSCLE MEAT FED AT THE CORRECT RATIO.

I've actually noticed the opposite effect. An all raw diet has my dogs very lean. Great coats and muscle mass but the never seem to put or keep on weight with a raw diet. This is over 30ish dogs.
ForestDump
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby GRIFF MAN » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:28 am

I used to NOT feed the morning of the hunt here in Wisconsin when we start hunting early in the day. Then one year went to SD and you can't hunt til 10 am so I fed dogs early. I found better energy from my dogs through out the day as opposed to not feeding. I also found it a good way to hydrate early in the day to help with energy and recovery.

So I tweeked my method to go along with my Wisconsin hunting. I feed a can of food, instead of dry food, the morning before the hunt. I find the can food has alot of moisture and may digest faster than dry food. I feed atleast 2 hours before the hunt.

It has worked for me for years and find that only I get tired through out the day.... :(

GriffMan
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby oldtimer » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:47 am

Forest,
You ne3d to feed organ meets to get the fat. Liver, heart, kidney, tripe, thyroids, etc.

Griff,
I often do the same. Feeding canned dog food not only hydrates, but also encourages eating. If I am low on scraps I will feed canned.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Doc E » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:44 am

It takes 12 to 16 hours from the time food goes in the mouth until it comes out of the pooper.
We feed 3/4 of the daily ration the night before the hunt and 1/4 the morning of the hunt.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Double Post

Postby Doc E » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:44 am

Double Post
Last edited by Doc E on Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:27 pm

I stop at the same store every morning before a hunt and we both eat a sausage biscuit Sammich. I drive for at least an hour after breakfast to give it time to settle. :D
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby K Locke » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:49 pm

I appreciate everyone's input.
K Locke
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Trentridge » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:59 am

K Locke wrote:I appreciate everyone's input.

Me too as I will be going on my first hunt soon!
Trentridge
Pup
Pup

Postby woodboro » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:22 am

Never have changed in about 35 years.
Morning feed after a run / Evening feed after a run.

If I am hunting all day long , biscuits in the vehicle , in rotation dogs get them. (lots of water = always)

When they get out of vehicle for the hunt , they automatically dump.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to General Discussion