Wirehair genetics

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Wirehair genetics

Postby JTracyII » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:57 pm

I will say that one of my training buddies has a Bonepoint dog that runs big and is what most would consider to be a fast, high desire dog. It is a nice dog both in the field and water. It is also an easy 4 in duck search anytime he is turned loose. You should have seen him at the UT test during his duck search!
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:38 pm

To hear some people tell it, the GWP breeders have taken the dog down the same road as the golden retriever, and its darn near impossible to find a good one if you're a hunter.

The truth is it isn't any harder to find a good wirehair pointer than it is to find a good Pointer, GSP, Lab, etc...

I also think its interesting that you don't see the same flame wars or aspersions cast about GSP's vs DK's.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:49 pm

hicntry wrote:Are the majority of pointers right or left footed. Just curious.

Not ignoring you, I have no idea.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:23 pm

AverageGuy wrote:
hicntry wrote:Are the majority of pointers right or left footed. Just curious.

Not ignoring you, I have no idea.

Just curious as at first glance at your picture, it looked like he had his left foot up.....and I can't cay as I can recall ever seeing a dog raising the left foot. Looking at the picture closer, it was the right foot raised. Anyone that has taught many dogs to heel can tell the difference right away.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby oldtimer » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:05 pm

AverageGuy wrote:OldTimer,

My pup turned 9 months old 4 days ago. Here he is this morning on a wild covey of Bobwhites. He had 3 more points on singles shortly after. Lots more ahead to see how he ultimately turns out but there have been a lot of positives with the pup so far.

[

Right on schedule!!!! Nice!!! What kennel?
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:07 pm

Bone Point.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:36 pm

AG.... I might be taking one your pup's kid sisters to ND in a few days. Gotta get my foot healed up so I can walk.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:39 pm

Well get to healing! I'm retired with a truck you know ...
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:20 pm

I'm retired, with a truck and a sore foot. Plantar Fasciitis, had it for months. Bad stuff. Trying different therapy, seem to be making progress.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:28 pm

Sure hope you get some relief soon and get out in the field where you belong.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:21 pm

orhunter wrote:I'm retired, with a truck and a sore foot. Plantar Fasciitis, had it for months. Bad stuff. Trying different therapy, seem to be making progress.

I get it too. Arch supports get rid of it immediately. I used the ones by WAlk Fit.n

https://www.google.com/search?q=walk+fi ... ent=safari
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:43 am

orhunter wrote:I'm retired, with a truck and a sore foot. Plantar Fasciitis, had it for months. Bad stuff. Trying different therapy, seem to be making progress.

Have you tried different boots or shoes?

Had a buddy get a pair of Russells and performed a miracle. Red Wing work boots and hunting boots did the same for me.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby KJ » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:04 am

I will say that one of my training buddies has a Bonepoint dog that runs big and is what most would consider to be a fast, high desire dog. It is a nice dog both in the field and water. It is also an easy 4 in duck search anytime he is turned loose. You should have seen him at the UT test during his duck search!

JTracyII,
Thanks for the note on Gunner. It sounds like you guys have a nice training group there, evident by your UT results. I told Lance that just because he got a UT prize I with his first dog as a 2 year old, he can't expect it every time :wink: I am sending him a nice little black female on Friday.

AverageGuy,
Spud looks great!

Orhunter,
Aggie is waiting for you........
KJ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:30 am

Plantar Fasciitis: Have done the shoe inserts, stretching, changing shoes, going without inserts, more stretching, taping, heel cushion, sitting on my butt doing nothing.

A fellow on the local outdoor website suggested I get something to roll my foot on for a deep massage. Bought a hard little ball covered with knobs, put a water bottle in the freezer, dug out a dog training dummy covered with knobs. Been rolling my foot around on these things for four days now and this morning is the first time I've gotten out of bed and been pain free when I put my foot on the floor. It hurts a little bit now after walking around for a while but there is light at the end of the long dark tunnel.

Heck, I might go deer hunting this afternoon? Have a bunch of meat to vacuum pack and toss in the freezer which I need to get done.

KJ needs to post some photos of the elk he got a few days ago. Pretty lame of him not to....... Start buggin' him folks.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:13 pm

orhunter wrote:Plantar Fasciitis: Have done the shoe inserts, stretching, changing shoes, going without inserts, more stretching, taping, heel cushion, sitting on my butt doing nothing.

A fellow on the local outdoor website suggested I get something to roll my foot on for a deep massage. Bought a hard little ball covered with knobs, put a water bottle in the freezer, dug out a dog training dummy covered with knobs. Been rolling my foot around on these things for four days now and this morning is the first time I've gotten out of bed and been pain free when I put my foot on the floor. It hurts a little bit now after walking around for a while but there is light at the end of the long dark tunnel.

Heck, I might go deer hunting this afternoon? Have a bunch of meat to vacuum pack and toss in the freezer which I need to get done.

KJ needs to post some photos of the elk he got a few days ago. Pretty lame of him not to....... Start buggin' him folks.

Orhunter,

I am a distance runner and the condition you are plagued with causes problems for distance runners frequently. Rolling your foot on a hard ball is one of the best treatments for PF. You have to stretch back out what is tight in there and break up any scare tissue. I am glad your getting some relief. Sounds like what your doing is working. Do more of the same. Golf balls and tennis balls are also good. There is also a boot one can get from a doctor that you wear when you sleep which keeps your foot somewhat stretched throughout the night, which does not allow the tendons, etc. to tighten up over night. He is a serious marathoner and said it allowed him to keep running as the injury healed. Good luck.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion