Wirehair genetics

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Wirehair genetics

Postby JTracyII » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:19 pm

KJ wrote:

JTracyII,
Thanks for the note on Gunner. It sounds like you guys have a nice training group there, evident by your UT results. I told Lance that just because he got a UT prize I with his first dog as a 2 year old, he can't expect it every time :wink: I am sending him a nice little black female on Friday.

No problem. I heard about the new female coming to Lance soon. I am looking forward to seeing her in the next week or two. I am on the waiting list for a PP with Calvinator for next year. Klocke, the guy with the female griff who is a part of our training group (got a UT 2), plans to keep one this spring out of his next litter from his dog Pepper. It looks like we will be continuing our training group.... I think we all recognize that we are pretty fortunate to have each other.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:32 pm

[quote="orhunter"]Plantar Fasciitis: Have done the shoe inserts, stretching, changing shoes, going without inserts, more stretching, taping, heel cushion, sitting on my butt doing nothing.

A fellow on the local outdoor website suggested I get something to roll my foot on for a deep massage. Bought a hard little ball covered with knobs, put a water bottle in the freezer, dug out a dog training dummy covered with knobs. Been rolling my foot around on these things for four days now and this morning is the first time I've gotten out of bed and been pain free when I put my foot on the floor. It hurts a little bit now after walking around for a while but there is light at the end of the long dark tunnel.

Heck, I might go deer hunting this afternoon? Have a bunch of meat to vacuum pack and toss in the freezer which I need to get done.

These are very hard inserts and hurt like hell while you're getting used to them. Thing is, you can hunt nearly instantly when you use them. Dr. Scholls aren't worth a durn. Golf ball under the foot hurts like heck but eventually works. The Walk Fits are an instant fix. When the pain goes away, take the inserts out.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:30 pm

orhunter wrote:Plantar Fasciitis: Have done the shoe inserts, stretching, changing shoes, going without inserts, more stretching, taping, heel cushion, sitting on my butt doing nothing.

Stretch your achilles tendon two to three times per day: stand with forefoot (balls of both feet) on some stairs and then let your weight sag so that your heels drop down and you get stretch feeling in your calves. Do for a minute or two. An ankle dorsiflexion brace worn at night (as recommended by TracyII) helps for the same reason. Bad cases respond to steroid injections into the heel bone (calcaneus).
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby oldtimer » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:51 pm

You live in Oregon........medical marijuana. :D
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:13 pm

Old Timer.... You're not up to date. We can buy like buying groceries. Need lots of groceries....Doritos......
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ForestDump » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:30 pm

My GWP comes from field trial lines, Flintlock breeding on top and Sure Shot on bottom. And it's difficult to ask for a much better dog for upland and waterfowl. Runs hard, great nose, takes to water like a duck. These are mainly dogs that were split from the German testing and breeding.
Last edited by ForestDump on Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ForestDump
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby leadeyedbugger » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:18 pm

man, been a while since ive been on here and glad to see the same conversations lol.
i think the best breeders scoure the countryside to find the best dogs to breed that fit the goal of what they are trying to produce in there kennels. simple as that.
here in the northwest there is some really good stock to choose from when it comes to wirehairs. whether its navdha dogs, dogs coming from dd lines, dd's, ft lines etc. and there is a bunch of mediocre dogs in dd, and gwp lines also.
it always comes down to finding a breeder that alignes with what you want. no matter the registration. registration doesnt guarantee a thing.
leadeyedbugger
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:27 pm

AverageGuy wrote:
Tcarmody wrote:Go to vdd-gna.org find a DD breeder and get a dog. It makes it so you have next to nothing to worry about. The German system is way better for breeding hunting dogs. They get everything. Get a DD train and hunt.

Actually the originator of the thread already owns a DD and tee'd up some questions exploring other alternatives. Apparently he has seen some nice GWPs and is interested in learning more about them. If you follow the thread you will see the GWP Breeders Alliance mentioned. It is using the key elements of the framework you reference. If you think there is something magical in the approach such that no one else outside the VDD can have success using a breed standard, testing performance, and health screening to select and breed good dogs then there is no reason for us to speak further on the subject.

X2...

... a good breeding is a good breeding. Experienced hunters know and can recognize good dogs, regardless of their registration.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Urban_Redneck » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:02 am

JONOV wrote:
I also think its interesting that you don't see the same flame wars or aspersions cast about GSP's vs DK's.

These shaggy dog people fight a lot :(
Urban_Redneck
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Kiger2 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:15 pm

Jonov,

There are currently 8 litters of Quality field Goldens listed on retriever training.net. I just put money down on a pup. I guarantee you there are just as many quality golden litters as any of the versatile breeds each year.

Not hard to find unless you don't look.
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:30 pm

Kiger2 wrote:Jonov,

There are currently 8 litters of Quality field Goldens listed on retriever training.net. I just put money down on a pup. I guarantee you there are just as many quality golden litters as any of the versatile breeds each year.

That is a totally rediculous statement.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:24 pm

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:
Kiger2 wrote:Jonov,

That is a totally rediculous statement.

'Why?
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:35 pm

Because a good field bred Golden Retriever is not easy to find. They are nowhere near as competetive in field trials or hunt tests as Lab's. There are probably 100 times more great litters of GSP's alone than competetive Goldens. The Golden breed was decimated by the show people and in the 70's breeders began bringing them back. They have many problems at first. All I'm saying is that compared to other retrievers or Versatiles like GSP's, GWP;s, and others there are not nearly as many to pick from. I don't really know why Kiger posted that since he is very knowledgable.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:45 am

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:Because a good field bred Golden Retriever is not easy to find. They are nowhere near as competetive in field trials or hunt tests as Lab's. There are probably 100 times more great litters of GSP's alone than competetive Goldens. The Golden breed was decimated by the show people and in the 70's breeders began bringing them back. They have many problems at first. All I'm saying is that compared to other retrievers or Versatiles like GSP's, GWP;s, and others there are not nearly as many to pick from. I don't really know why Kiger posted that since he is very knowledgable.

I have to agree. Fiance and I both grew up with Goldens. She wanted a GR in the worst way. I first wanted a field bred GR and it was very tough to find and expensive at that. I had a hard time trusting people on the genetics...hips are easy enough, but there are others that made me worry about it. Oddly enough, My parents puppy mill rescue Golden lasted longer than the ones our parents researched ad nauseum. I couldn't find one within driving distance and it was important to me to at least meet the bitch.
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion