The Migration

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: The Migration

Postby Densa44 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:05 am

I don't think that is correct: http://albertaregulations.ca/huntingreg ... costs.html
What you call Americans, are referred to as Non-resident Aliens, I always get a kick out of that.
I don't think that you need a guide to hunt birds, however you are virtually guaranteed success if you use one..

40+ hours, maybe you could pull a trigger in Manitoba, or Saskatchewan. Sask may even have more birds.

You can fly, and you can bring dog, guns and no ammo. I think that's right. We could sure use your help.

Oh if you do come, and your not from Alaska, you will need new clothes. I mean it.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:41 pm

It seemed like the flocks of snow geese going over this morning were not going to stop. I saw a few thousands in the same fields that I have seen them in for the past few weeks, but more and more are flying over.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Densa44 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:30 am

I'm about 80 miles south of Stubble, and the birds that are arriving here seem to be staying. Maybe that's how it works. The flocks are as large as I've ever seen and I take that to mean that the generous limits, electric calls etc. are not cutting down the snow goose population.

The reason I'm guessing is, the geese are not popular with hunters and we don't have near enough hunters (young enough too).

This project has turned out to be more complicated than I ever would have thought. A flock of specs just left the beaver pond to go out to feed. I thought that they were all gone. Not so.
Foothill Joce NA 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Deacon » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:04 am

Saw one large group of snows flying south over upstate NY on Saturday while the western half of the state was having our duck/goose opener. They usually don't stop here in the fall, continuing straight down to NJ, Maryland, or Delaware. There are flocks of migrating Canadians flying through right now. Lots of ducks but they were most likely locals with a few migrators mixed in. The huge flocks of bluewings I saw two weeks ago left town with a cold front, just in time to miss us. By November we should start to see the real signs of a migration.
Deacon
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:39 pm

I sat and watched well over 10,000 snow geese by Mirror Alberta. They were scattered over an entire field plus a pond, and the field was so white, it looked like snow. Very few Canadas today though, and no ducks to be seen.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:23 pm

I went out pheasant hunting again this morning, and the situation was far different than Monday. I saw a total of perhaps 100 geese in total , driving for an hour. There was no sign of any of the thousands of snow geese that were in the area only four days ago. Just a couple smaller flocks of Canadas, and a small flock of swans.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:58 pm

Anyone here close-ish to SW Manitoba? Wondering what numbers are like.

Supposed to go the North Dakota next week for ducks, but we've got some seriously stale weather. Too dang nice.

Never hunted Canada but mulling over a last minute trip.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Densa44 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:22 am

October 31, the weather is warm for this time of year, and there is heavy fog, this usually keeps the geese on the water until it clears, right now I can hear very large flocks of snows east and west of the house. If you are set up in a good field, you'll need lots of ammo. There is very little wind.

We just need way more hunters.
Foothill Joce NA 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Deacon » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:14 am

We still have hundreds and hundreds of wood ducks in our swamp. They should all head south any time now. With their departure (which doesn't seem to be directly tied to the weather) we should start seeing migrating groups of mallards/black ducks (which due seem to be dependent on the weather). On the bigger water, scaup have begun to arrive and the small, short lasting, push of brant through the inland lakes, has occurred. Everything seems to be going according to the historical, anecdotal, schedule.
Deacon
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:51 pm

The only geese that I am still seeing are the local geese that hang out at the city lagoon. The snows left the areas several days ago, and there doesn't appear to be new groups of geese coming into our area. With no snow, and plenty of open water, I find this surprising.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Densa44 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:49 am

I think that it is over too. I didn't see or hear any snows all morning. Just a handful of ducks, and small flocks of Honkers. So that's it Nov. 1.

I'd like to know where they show up next, any one south of here that can help We are at the 51 Latitude.
Foothill Joce NA 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dmog » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:22 pm

Only a few flocks of white fronts showing up in SW KS. Cheyenne Bottoms just seeing some white fronts but not many snows or dark geese yet.
Mog: Half man, half woolly dog.
Dmog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby TobyTx » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:01 pm

Heard geese passing by my house a couple of times so far.
Cabo vom Sendero vjp 69 hzp np
TobyTx
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:20 pm

This is way more complex than I thought. Swans to-day about 50 and good news no one has shot at them, I was wearing orange and they came right over top of me.

I saw a flock of about 3000 honkers, only a handful of ducks, and no snows. The weather here is balmy, like spring with a south wind and all the water is open.

Given this is Alberta tomorrow could be a blizzard but to-day is warm and sunny.
Foothill Joce NA 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:19 am

Plenty of swans in this area as well, but few ducks and geese. It's so unusual to have no snow, no ice on the water, and so little waterfowl around.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion