When to spay a dog

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

When to spay a dog

Postby Sks1973 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:43 pm

We have a new Pudelpointer (17 weeks old). I know standard time to spay a dog is around 6 months. Is that true with hunting dogs? Someone (not the vet) had told us to wait until she is a year old so they've done more of their growing. Hate to wait since spaying them before their first cycle significantly reduces their chance for certain cancers. Just curious if most of you did it around 6 months. Thanks!
Sks1973
Pup
Pup

Re: When to spay a dog

Postby ryanr » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:14 pm

Uh, I always thought the predominant recommendation was AFTER the first heat cycle? I think now more vets are suggesting waiting until 1yr to spay a female and at least 18 months to neuter a male.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby twistedoak » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:36 pm

I waited to after the 2nd cycle.
I will say this tho , the earlier it is , the easier the surgery is on the dog
twistedoak
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby hicntry » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:40 pm

" Hate to wait since spaying them before their first cycle significantly reduces their chance for certain cancers. "

That is simply not true. It is a con job vets use to get people spay bitches. A vet gave me the stats years ago and it was not a significant difference. Something like a 1% reduction if spayed before 6 months and only .5% if done after 6 months.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:41 pm

More and more studies are coming out that show benefits to leaving females intact for an undetermined period of time. This does not change the risk of mammary cancer and pyometra we have known about for years.

As we continue to study these effects, the current "happy medium" is to allow one heat cycle, during which the risk of mammary cancer increases only slightly, and slight decreases in risks of other cancers and joint disease.

A recent study in Rottweilers showed a 4 year increase in lifespan of dogs spayed after 6 years of age. It is unknown at this time if this will dramatically change recommendations in the future as that particular study was done on a very limited population.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:45 pm

To further specify what hicntry stated, risk is 0.5% before first heat, 2-3% after the first heat, 12% after the second heat, and 25% after the 3rd heat.

The majority of vets recommending spay at 6 months are doing so because that's when recovery is best, when people are most likely to follow directions, and to prevent unwanted litters. None of these reasons are wrong, but none are critical to the dog.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:44 am

Data, studies, anecdotes, pyometra, etc. aside here's my personal take.

We bred my first DD twice and decided to spay at 8 years.

My wife assisted in the surgery and when she reached in to remove the uterus it literally dissolved in her hands.

I can only speculate that we dodged a bullet.

She went on to live for another 6 years.

My current pup had a series of false pregnancies that went full term. There was no research to indicate that there would be a risk to her health at the time, but she was 2-1/2 years, and I had not intention of rejoining the plethora of breeders again, so we decided to spay.

I'd say that our biggest concern is pyo', because it's so insidious.

I think that by age 2 you should know if you plan to breed, and the benefits of spay outweigh the risks.

Good luck... it's YOUR decision...

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Calvinator » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:12 pm

studies are showing that dogs (male or female) spayed before growth plates close double the chance of hip dysplasia and significantly increase the chance of an ACL tear. I tell all my puppy owners to wait until 18-24 months to spay/neuter. dogs need hormones to grow properly.
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dakotazeb » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:32 pm

My last two Brittanys have been females. I spayed the first one after her first heat cycle (10-12 months) and my current female prior to here first cycle (approx. 9 months). The first female lived a healthly life to age 12. My current female is now 8 and the picture of health. I never had any issues of any kind related to them being spayed.
Janees August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:00 pm

I don't think there is a "best time." There are best times to not get it done which is when the dog is not yet fully physically developed. Any time before two years or two heat cycles, is probably the best time to not get it done. After that, it might not matter a whole lot...
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby aaronk » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:08 pm

I spayed prior to the first heat cycle but she's not quite a year old yet so I can't speak to any long term benefits or consequences. Ultimately you'll have to weigh both sides of the research in regards to when to spay and make the decision you feel best for your dog and yourself. Whenever you decide to spay I would highly recommend a laparoscopic spay if you can find someone in your area that does them. No recovery time so to speak, I had to force her to lay low in her kennel for a few days because she was running around like nothing happened the afternoon after her surgery was done!
aaronk
Started
Started

Postby hicntry » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:03 am

One thing that is never pointed out is that about 30% of bitches spayed will have some degree of incontinence afterward. Pretty nasty on a hairy breed house dog that may sleep on your carpet.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby woodboro » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:39 am

aaronk wrote:I spayed prior to the first heat cycle but she's not quite a year old yet so I can't speak to any long term benefits or consequences. Ultimately you'll have to weigh both sides of the research in regards to when to spay and make the decision you feel best for your dog and yourself. Whenever you decide to spay I would highly recommend a laparoscopic spay if you can find someone in your area that does them. No recovery time so to speak, I had to force her to lay low in her kennel for a few days because she was running around like nothing happened the afternoon after her surgery was done!

good post !!
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Shannon » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:48 pm

My oldest has blown out both of her CCL's and she was spayed at 6 months on recommendation of my vet. The doctor who did the surgeries told me to wait next time until the dog is at least 18 months. He said dogs spayed early before they are finished growing usually are slightly taller. That changes there make up and CCL injuries are a lot higher. I won't be spaying my current pup until something tells me she isn't a candidate to breed or she is two years old at least.
Shannon
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:28 am

I can say that I've never seen a difference and I typically spay at six months. My oldest dog now is 12 and still hunts all day for two guys. You lost so much time by allowing them to go through their cycles and it they're house dog's, it's a damned mess. Nobody agrees on what's the best because nobody is sure. I'll keep spaying at six months.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion