Wirehaired Vizsla?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Wirehaired Vizsla?

Postby BrewsterAndMutt » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:25 pm

Anyone on here had the pleasure of working with one of these guys. Just discovered them and I've always had a soft spot for their short haired cousins but from what I understand they are a calmer dog than smooths but with all the same characteristics that draw me to the breed. How are they in the house, training, the field, etc and how do they compare to some of the more popular versatiles?
BrewsterAndMutt
Started
Started

Re: Wirehaired Vizsla?

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:05 pm

There was one in my old NAVHDA chapter. So I trained around the dog a good bit, his owner and I both ran our dogs in the same test one weekend, and we went hunting together a couple of times. That is the extent of my experience with the breed. That one dog was decent but nothing special in the upland. Weak in the water and very weak in tracking. Soft dog that could be thrown off its game when put on the ground with a bolder dog around. Its coat was a disaster. Open, long, soft. Offered no protection and would roll up cockleburs something horrible.

Sorry but that is a fair and accurate readout on the only one I have been around.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby TimberdoodleWI » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:40 am

Trained around 1 last year at my old NAVHDA chapter last year. Good looking thing! Was a pup yet and kinda got to see it start to grow into a pretty nice dog. Finished last year with a 112NA if I remember right. Coat was nice on him, muscled pretty solid too.
TimberdoodleWI
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:20 pm

I judged with a woman from Germany who ran/bred them.

From what she described, they were nice dogs... but, on the other hand she was considering a DD for her next dog. I never pressed her on that, because I don't like generalizing on breeds.

I think that if you find a breeder that seems to breed consistent dogs that you like it would be a nice choice.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GRIFF MAN » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:39 pm

I had one come to my place all last summer for training. Lots of prey drive on this dog. I liked the ability to learn the dog had and the willingness to please. The dog was young and a really nice dog. It went Pr1 112 with a new handler that owned the dog. I will say she was a cutie, but I thought the coat was loose and not as protective as I would think it should be. I 'm not sure if that is the way the breed is or if I've just been around to many Griffs !! :lol:
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby roquad » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:11 am

It is a year after your question was posted. I acquired a WHV this year. He is 6 months now. I love this breed. My 2 Cents: The are the youngest of the Continental Breeds, developed in the 1930's. Like all of the versatile breeds these dogs are a cross of a pointer, hounds. The WHV was a cross of the vizsla, the German wire-haired pointer, and German Mountain Hound. I stay close to my breeder, and follow the her offspring and owners on Facebook Groups. The net of it is that if you find the right breeder, these dogs almost come "pre-trained" My pup is steady to wing and flush, retrieves like a demon, loves water, and is very cooperative in the field so far. They are very easy to train, and adapt well int he home. I have a 5 year old Weim as well, and I can tell you that there is a big difference. My weim is a great gun dog, and very smart, so you can teach him any thing. My WHV is just natural ability. Be careful with your selection of breeders. They have become show darlings, and many breeders in the US are now breeding for confirmation more than a balance of utility and confirmation. That is what happened to the Weim, Irish Setter, etc. These dogs are a complicated mix that require the balances to be kept in the breeding stock. When the focus is taken off of the utility some of the traits like calmness, cooperation start to fall off. Good luck PM if you want to know more.
roquad
Pup
Pup

Postby ryanr » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:11 pm

A new member in our chapter has a one, about 10months old. Nice dog, he admits it's been kindvof sheltered from a lot of things a typical pup should be exposed to, particularly a bird dog. Only in the last month or so its been getting its bird exposure. Kind of soft but not that fearfulness or uneasiness (around other active dogs) I've seen in a # of other vizslas we had inmmy old chapter. More and more I'm starting to see it gain confidence and see the light switches turn on. Not a strong, intense point yet but it might be developing as it still seems to be figuring lots of stuff out. After training we took it with 3 GWPs on a run down to the cold creek. My male is very active and an "enthusiastic" greeter of new dogs. She wasn't sure of these 3 dogs at first but wanted to follow along but at a safe distance. She was curious but unsure of things. Well when we got to the creek she ran right in and romped with the other dogs and soon she was giving it back to my dog as good as she got. She turned the tables on him a bit and chased him relentlessly all around. Usually he's the relentless chaser.

I like the dog so far and she seems easy to train, a raised voice seems to be more than enough correction force. I told the owner to be very mindful of that. He definitely didn't get it from a hunting kennel but it's showing it has some instincts, we just need to draw them out more but I think it will make at least a serviceable bird dog for him.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion