Lena vom Slaney-Vale

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Lena vom Slaney-Vale

Postby Coveyrise64 » Thu May 31, 2018 12:32 am

jlw034 wrote:Soliciting Advice:

The dog recently, when in the field, will sometimes retrieve the chukar to one of the gunners. A single fetch command steers her my way, but that will cost me in a test.

Other than telling the gunners to step back, and take a step forward myself, does anyone have any tips?

You should never step ahead of the gunners after the shot. The dog is required to retrieve to hand to the place you were standing when the dog was released. If the gunners are experienced they will wait until you release your dog for the retrieve. At the release of the dog and after it is past them they will break open their guns, then turn and walk backwards to a line behind the handler if possible with their backs to the dog. This is so the dog is not distracted by any eye contact made by the gunners with the dog. Then of course you still have to deal with shooting ability of the gunners..... :(

As a handler I always wear an orange hat and a white shirt whether training or testing. Dogs don't see orange as a color and normally all the judges, gunners, and gallery will wear orange. If the handler is covered in orange then the handler looks like part of the big orange blob even if standing well to the front. Might as well be wearing camo. By wearing white it lets me stand out from the crowd. Helps to wear white at the water series too and do some training wearing white to acclimate the dog to your new look.

Good luck.....!

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

"There are always going to be those who prefer to freeze in the dark rather than put forth the effort to light a fire." ~ Lvrdg07
Coveyrise64
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu May 31, 2018 6:42 am

Following on CR's good advice.

Before running you can discuss with the gunners and Judges the manner in which they will move and when after the shot, along the lines of CR's post. The handlers/judges meeting at the start of the day would be a good place to bring it up. You can also position them before you flush the bird within reason if you think it is needed. They will be glad to do so and if experienced will anyway.

Also to CR's point: I run the test in at least some of the same clothes I train in so the dog is very conditioned to the visual of what I am wearing. Same smelly sweated up cap, same training vest for carrying my water ...

Train for missed shots. In Spuds UT run, 5 of 7 birds were missed. It puts a real strain on a young dog's steadiness.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Thu May 31, 2018 7:41 am

You got great advice there from CR and AG. Even in training, when we gun for each other we do so exactly in the manner described by CR. Everyone in our chapter then learns this gunner's manners too and why we do it. Good luck!

Man AG, 5 of 7 birds missed, that really tests a dog's steadiness and cooperation. We're blessed then in our chapter because I don't think we've ever had anyone miss more than 2 birds for an entire test day. Probably just jinxed our gunners now though. :D
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:15 am

Thanks for all the advice folks. Much appreciated.

I have been wearing the same thing training every day for the past two months...unfortunately it's green pants and a blaze orange shirt. Just this week I switched to a white shirt on similar advice.

I've also been told a soft encouragement (good girl) on the retreive won't necessarily ding me a point.

First time playing this game, lots to learn!
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:18 am

Also, these past few months I've seen over 60 chukar shot, and I don't think we've missed more than a couple. I definitely didn't train for missed birds. Something to keep in mind for the future.

I did do "bomb birds". After dog points a chukar, throw a pigeon a few feet in front of the dog to test steadyness. Hope that helps.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu May 31, 2018 9:37 am

When to use "good girl." They don't want you to say anything till the bird is in your hand. Shouldn't say it anyhow, not just on test day. They call it rewarding the dog before the task is completed.

Subtle handling is an art form. Which hand you have in your pocket, which hand you use to scratch your nose. Some guys are pretty good at it, dunno if it helps?
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:25 am

We did it. Prize 1, 202. My nerves are wrecked, but so happy with the score

Ended up losing a point at remainder at the blind. She decided test day was a good time to take about 4 steps so she could watch me walk away, then a couple steps back to watch the water while I shot twice.

We had great judges, great volunteers and ok weather.
Attachments
20170214-DSC08707-2.jpg
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:09 am

Congratulations! Great pic too.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:03 am

AverageGuy wrote:Congratulations! Great pic too.

Thanks! I'd be lying if I said it was a perfect day. Bird #1 she creep in on, busted, and chased. Haven't seen her do that since last summer. My mind went blank as I thought my day was over. One of the judges could tell I was losing it, talked me down, and kept my wits about me. The next 4 birds were perfect. We also found two cold, dead birds. One was very very ripe. Of course I didn't know they were dead when she crept up and pounced...thought she was gonna bust another bird. Serious pucker factor.

And on the duck search water, there is an old sunken platform that she has never paid any mind to. Of course on test day she decides to scramble up on it and look back at me. It was only a few seconds, but it felt like an eternity. Thank God she jumped off and kept swimming away.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:23 am

Great job, congrats. Sounds like she did great, busting and chasing the first bird and then ripping off 4 perfect birds makes the judges smile. Maybe her standing on that platform and looking back at you was her way of saying "relax boss, we got this." LOL
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby marysburg » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:15 am

Glad to hear you did so well on test day. You've made such a strong bond with your dog, and that picture is worth a thousand words. Best congratulations, marysburg
marysburg
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jlw034 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:17 pm

Thanks for the kind words.

I just think she likes messing with me sometimes!
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:50 pm

Congratulations to both of you. Beautiful dog, Great picture too. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:04 am

congrats on the test to you both

been a great read following along

thanks
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jlw034 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:19 pm

Oh, and FWIW on 2 retrieves Lena started angling toward the gunners. Both were times where the gunners didn't have a lot of time to walk away, and were standing there facing away.

On both occasions I gave her a soft 'good girl' which promptly changed her angle back toward me. Would she have come to me anyway? Hard to say. But the judges never made a comment either way about it.

We had good gunners, no misses. I feel sorry for folks that have struggling gunners.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion