Lena vom Slaney-Vale

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Lena vom Slaney-Vale

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:20 am

Appreciate the info. If I buy anymore I will check our your recommendation for sure. I have had those Real Geese a long while. I have an iron stake and 3lb hammer to punch holes for setting them out in frozen ground. Kind of slow and would be glad to find a better alternative if I find myself in the market for more decoys.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:24 pm

The 2017 season is beginning its sunset. The fowling is over, still time for a few more pheasant hunts.

Compared to last year, ducks and geese were down a bit. We still had some great hunts, but I think last year will go down as a banner year for me. This year we've chased them in MN, SD, ND, and Manitoba. Dry field hunts and misearable slough hunts. Lots of great memories made, thank God that pictures are cheap in this day-in-age. I'll give Lena average scores in waterfowl hunting. Glimpses of greatness and moments of supreme irritation. I know what to work on this summer, but I think her upper bar may be lower than I would have hoped.

Upland hunting has been incredible. Bird numbers are down, but dog work is way up. She's truly a wonderful dog to follow in the field. I've yet to see her quit on me, including one day where she put on 15 miles and I never fired a shot. We just got back from three days in SD. Our group got 47 birds in those days. Lena was responsible for more than her fair share of those birds. She was the only pointer, and was always afield with at least 3 labs. She even let a lab flush a rooster she had pinned.

We will hopefully get to SD one more time, and there are still some MN birds to shoot. I'd like to run south to chase quail, but I'm struggling on finding folks around here who are up for it.

I hope everyone is having a great season. Pics to follow.
Attachments
1-3.jpg
1-2.jpg
1.jpg
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:25 pm

Pictures
Attachments
1-6.jpg
1-5.jpg
1-4.jpg
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:26 pm

Pictures
Attachments
1-7.jpg
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:37 am

A recount of a great second season for Lena. The decoy spread photo is my favorite. When it is good Waterfowling is so fun. But the simplicity of a following a dog alone with just a vest and a shotgun is a wonderful contrast to all the gear and work of Waterfowling. Having a dog to share both hunts with is the Best! Happy Hunting to you and Lena.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:12 pm

Thanks for the amazing pictures. Lena is a real nice looking wirehair. Looks like she is coming along just fine. I wouldn't stress over whatever it is she is doing or not doing in the duck blind... she's still real young.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:32 pm

Thanks for the kind words. Good advice on her maturity.

We did most of our hunting with my buddy's lab of the same age. He's done a real nice job with that dog, and Lena was clearly behind him in marking/lining/direction.

It gives us something to work on for the next 9 months!
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Highlander » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:46 pm

I'm probably done with the German system. I don't particularly care for how the tests are set up, what they look for, and think NAVHDA is a better match for my style of training/testing/hunting.

May I ask why?
I would like hear the thoughts behind this statement.

A few month ago I said, here on this forum, that the German system puts too much emphasis on small game (none-bird) hunting. I got roasted :D
I feel that that system somewhat forces an upland dog to be a hound and blood tracker, while forgetting the fact that first and most these breeds *DD, DK, LG, PP etc) are for upland hunting with natural ability of pointing.

I am NOT trying to trigger a new conversation about the pros and cons of the both systems, I am trying understand why would someone, with DD, want to switch the testing system.
The hunter from highlands
Highlander
Started
Started

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:03 pm

When we go North we take all shells, silo socks, and the silo sock fliers. Don't take up any space at all and easy to set up. Use the silo sock mallard's as well.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:08 pm

Highlander wrote:
I'm probably done with the German system. I don't particularly care for how the tests are set up, what they look for, and think NAVHDA is a better match for my style of training/testing/hunting.

May I ask why?
I would like hear the thoughts behind this statement.

A few month ago I said, here on this forum, that the German system puts too much emphasis on small game (none-bird) hunting. I got roasted :D
I feel that that system somewhat forces an upland dog to be a hound and blood tracker, while forgetting the fact that first and most these breeds *DD, DK, LG, PP etc) are for upland hunting with natural ability of pointing.

I am NOT trying to trigger a new conversation about the pros and cons of the both systems, I am trying understand why would someone, with DD, want to switch the testing system.

For me, the German system BREEDS great dogs.* And for guys who do fur and tracking, I think they train great dogs. I'm a wingshooter only. For me, NAVHDA was the best assett in training/testing my dog. I still don't agree with everything NAVHDA tests, but overall it fits the best.

The one German test (very limited knowledge base, I know) I ran left me wondering why I was even there. The logic the judges used in scoring made no sense to me. I didn't enjoy the way the test was ran (although all the people running it were great!).

My breeder respected my decision, and he knows how hard we hunt so I think he would sell me another dog if I asked.

*Note: I see LOTS of great dogs bred outside of the German system too.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:14 pm

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:When we go North we take all shells, silo socks, and the silo sock fliers. Don't take up any space at all and easy to set up. Use the silo sock mallard's as well.

We've got our spread down pretty well. 3 doz socks, 8 doz silos, 2 doz shells, 2 doz full bodies.

We always run 3 spinners. If the duck report is good, we throw in a vortex. This is about all two guys with one pickup and one small trailer can handle. We always have our layout boats/floaters on the trailer, so that takes up some space.

Here is our spread at the end of the year. Killed our MN limit over it. 8 mallards and 6 Canadas.

We have started setting our blinds in one 'arm' of the spread. We seem to have better luck with it, rather than putting them in the bottom of the spread.
Attachments
20171111_092509-2348x532.jpg
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:10 pm

She is looking great. Just curious, what does she weigh now? Her big brother finally topped out at 84lbs.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jlw034 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:32 am

stubblejumper wrote:She is looking great. Just curious, what does she weigh now? Her big brother finally topped out at 84lbs.

Wow, he's a biggun!

She is a very lean 63lbs. Lots of folks think she's starved, but they don't know what fighting weight looks like!

How's your season been?
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:03 am

The season went okay this fall, about 60 pheasants, and some sharptails and Hungarians. I need to get away more often to where we have more sharptails and Hungarians, as I prefer to hunt them. I did get back into waterfowl, and our group of four averaged around 25 geese per shoot with one amazing shoot where five of us limited out with 40 birds in an hour and then shot ducks for another hour. My boy swill gets excited at times, but he is constantly improving. The plan for next year is even more waterfowl, and more sharptails and Huns.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jlw034 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:17 pm

While Lena wasn't involved, I did get a nice little extension to my fowling season. Me and two buddies flew to Maryland to do some hunting with locals on the Chesapeake Bay. It was an incredible experience, even if we had more laughs than dead ducks.

Our best day was an 8 man limit of bluebills. I've never had divers run lines so perfectly.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion