General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: New Member

Postby stubblejumper » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:06 pm

The pup made his first water retrieve on a pheasant this morning. The bird fell on the pond and although the pup did not like the very thin skim of ice, he did make the retrieve.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:53 pm

We reached a milestone today, the 50th pheasant to be shot over Butch. Appropriately, it was a nice bird with 38 bars on the longest tail feather.

stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:53 pm

We reached a milestone today, the 50th pheasant to be shot over Butch. Appropriately, it was a nice bird with 38 bars on the longest tail feather.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t3 ... 2758_o.jpg
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:34 am

With the pheasant season winding down, possibly only one or two hunts left, it has been a good season for Butch and I. The total to date is 30 hunts and 71 pheasants actually killed over Butch, with my personal total at 54 pheasants. As well, we attended a special sharptail hunt for one morning, and we found five coveys and killed two birds. The sharptail total would have been higher, but I didn't carry a gun for the first four coveys, and my inexperienced shooter had some issues.lol Looking back, Butch has learned a great deal in the past two months. When he started hunting pheasants, he busted a fair number, and the runners would fool him at times. Having been exposed to so many birds in the last two months, his points are more solid, at longer distances, and he is much better at not letting the runners outfox him. I still need to put him through a forced fetch program, and more work is required on him being steady once the bird is flushed, but for a 10 month old pup, he has done well. I haven't had him on a scale in a month, but he weighed 75lbs a month ago, and hopefully he is pretty much done growing. We will get out for one more pheasant hunt, but then our only option is to try and find some Hungarian partridges, which are not overly abundant in our area. Then next spring, it is back to work on the training. I will decide later if I will put him through the NAVHDA UT test, or if I will wait one more year.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jlw034 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:46 am

Wow what a great year. This early experience will last him a lifetime. Good for you!

Are you doing the German system tests?
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:53 am

I am going with the NAVHDA tests instead of the VDD tests, because the local NAVHDA chapter that I belong to puts on the tests every summer, and the VDD tests would involve much more travel and expense for me. Winter is going to be tough, as he is used to hunting three times per week or more, and he loves to hunt. Now he will have to settle for running in the snow for the next several months, until spring comes and we resume training with birds. Come spring, my number one priority is a forced fetch program. For some reason he doesn't like to retrieve pheasants anymore, but then again, he went out onto a frozen pond yesterday and retrieved a pheasant that was about 40 feet out on the ice. I was actually afraid that he was going to fall through the ice, and I was going to have to wade in to rescue him. Luckily the ice held, and we both stayed dry.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:36 pm

The pup has celebrated his first birthday, and was dealing with a corona virus at the time. He passed blood in his stools for almost four weeks but is fine now. At 77lbs, I am hoping that he is pretty much done growing, and I have switched him to adult food. With hunting season long over , he has to settle for running in a field where he encounters Hungarian partridge once or twice per week. During hunting season, he never chased a rabbit, but lately, he has chased a couple of jack rabbits, but he is staying away from the coyotes were are now seeing almost daily. I still have to get permission to deal with the coyotes,and hopefully, I can deal with the coyotes in the next week or so. Another couple of months of winter, and we can get back to training in the field with the local NAVHDA chapter..
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jlw034 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:45 am

That's rough. How do you think he caught that virus?

Looking forward to pick back up training. This weather has me getting a bit lazy. These pups aren't that good at being sedentary haha.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:17 pm

Apparently the virus is spread when a dog comes in contact with the feces from a contaminated dog. We are in the field every day regardless of weather. Our coldest day was -32 so far, but we only stayed out for 30 minutes. Butch doesn't seem to mind the cold at all. My major concern now is the three coyotes that moved into the area this week. We came over a hill yesterday within 100 yards of them, and as they moved off, they tried to lure Butch into following them. He didn't pursue, but I will be contacting the landowner for permission to eliminate them.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:30 pm

My breeder asked if a prospective buyer could come over to see my dog before committing to putting a deposit on a pup. Of course I agreed, and today, the couple and their son spent a half hour or so with us. They appeared to be very impressed, and it looks like they will be getting a pup from the same female that my dog came from. It will be nice having another Vom Slaney Vale pup in the club.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:17 pm

We've had these mutts for a year now....crazy how time flies.

Don't know about you, but we are most impressed with Lena's balance. All go when she's training/hunting, but a wonderful house dog.

I forget, are you doing the German tests?
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:09 pm

jlw034 wrote:We've had these mutts for a year now....crazy how time flies.

Don't know about you, but we are most impressed with Lena's balance. All go when she's training/hunting, but a wonderful house dog.

I forget, are you doing the German tests?

The same with Butch, an on/off switch from house dog to hunting dog. Another potential buyer called on Wednesday after Hugh asked if I would talk to him about Butch. So there could be two new Vom Slaney Vale dogs here in Alberta in June, with the litter expected around mid April. I will continue with the NAVHDA tests, since our club hosts them, but I am not going to travel to B.C. to do the German tests. If I had a female, and planned on having pups, I would do the German tests, but I just can't justify the time and expense when I don't plan on breeding Drahthaars.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:06 pm

I am working him in the field every day, and his intensity is as good as ever, at this point n some Hungarian Partridges this morning demonstrates.

stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:56 pm

Cool photo. What do you do when he's locked up like that? Flush? Fire a blank? Are you letting him chase? Just curious...
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:11 pm

Great photo!
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion