General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: New Member

Postby stubblejumper » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:36 pm

First picture is available, thanks to Sandra Schindel our photographer.
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t3 ... 3988_o.jpg

I tried to post the actual image but only half of it shows. Hopefully the field photos will be available soon.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:23 pm

Pictures from our NAVHDA hunt. Photo credits to Sandra Schindel

stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jlw034 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:38 pm

Great pics!
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:41 pm

Our club photographers do excellent work. Unfortunately my field photography sucks.

stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:04 am

Just had Butch on the scale, and he is 78lbs and not yet 9 months. He is already a big boy, and he is still growing.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:45 pm

Today Butch tangled with a porcupine, and ended up with quills in his jaw. I removed what I could see, but I suspect a quill broken off under the skin, so tomorrow we are off to the vet. On the positive side, he had the 38th pheasant of the season shot over him today. Update, the vet found one quill that I overlooked and we will be back out after pheasant in the morning.
Last edited by stubblejumper on Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby marysburg » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:43 pm

What's with the porkies this year? We haven't seen a porcupine for years, but have already had two encounters this fall. First one we could deal with, but the second time it cost $150 bucks to get the vet to take out two broken quills which were under the skin on pup's jaw. Got whiffed by a skunk a couple of weeks ago, but got away with just a little perfume.
marysburg
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:05 pm

Another porcupine today, this is insane.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jlw034 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:23 pm

That sounds terrible. Hope I can avoid them like the plague.

Lena pointed a raccoon this weekend. Glad she didn't engage. The critter was dispatched and we went on (unproductively) pheasant hunting.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:49 pm

I didn't see the one today either, Butch went into a cattail slough, I heard a scream, and he came out with quills in his face. The cattails were so thick, you couldn't even see the dogs.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:46 am

Crusty snow and ice made for two hours of hard going today, but we did manage a limit of pheasant, which puts the season total at 40 pheasants shot over Butch. With the season not yet half over, we should reach a total of at least 70 birds, but with tougher conditions, I have less requests to hunt with us now. The ice and snow was hard on the dog's feet, so I am going to look into possibly getting him some boots for these conditions. Most importantly, no encounters with porcupines today.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jlw034 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:48 pm

I'm very jealous of the birds you're shooting over Butch. What great experience.

I ordered a mendota skid plate, got delivered today. Hopefully that offers a little protection. Thanks for the recommendation.

According to garmin, Lena has put on 28 miles and I have yet to shoot a bird over a point. Hopefully it clicks this week...have the next 7 days off.

One thing I have been pleased with is her drive. She's never given up on me...I've had to make her quit a couple times due to heat. Just just loves to hunt.

Have you looked at Hugh's website lately? The picture of Heather is great...hope Lena takes after her mom.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:52 am

The drive is one thing that everyone notices with Butch, as another forum member that I hunt with has said repeatedly, there is no quit in the pup. Yesterday he worked one small patch of timber for several minutes and pointed a few times , but I could not see or flush a bird. Finally, when I was beginning to wonder if the bird was still in the area, it flushed. He knew that there was a bird there, and he was not going to give up until he found it. Many times, he has gone into the thick timber and pursued a bird in brush so thick that we could not see him at times, and he works until he points that bird, or it leaves the brush into the field to escape him. He often ends up with abrasions from the brush, which is the main reason that I ordered the skid plate for him. I see a lot of dogs where we hunt pheasant, and many aren't wearing skid plates, but then many of those dogs don't go into the thick brush either. We have picked up a good number of birds that those dogs missed as a result.
Last edited by stubblejumper on Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:22 am

Hunting stubble as your name implies, does require a skid plate. I like one for cattails too.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:31 am

Our pheasant hunting is mostly in alfalfa fields with many hedgerows and stands of brush. Most of the birds we find are in the brush, or in the hedge rows. with some in the long grass or alfalfa. I only get to hunt stubble fore Sharptails and Hungarian partridges. The skid plate really helps in the brush, as Butch tends to just crash through it.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion