General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Postby stubblejumper » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:56 pm

I just joined up, and look forward to being a part of the forum. I have hunted over several GWPs and Pudelpointers, as well as a lab, and a GSP. but I am picking up this little fellow next week.

stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: New Member

Postby orhunter » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:05 pm

I don't think it'll hunt. Better ship it to me. I'll pay half.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby TimberdoodleWI » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:08 pm

Welcome! Where is the little guy from?
TimberdoodleWI
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Meridiandave » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:46 pm

Nice...Griff or GWP?
Meridiandave
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:29 pm

He is a Drahthaar out of Vom Slaney Vale in Manitoba.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Meridiandave » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:56 am

Nice.
Meridiandave
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Hettmoe » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:04 am

I don't think the birds will have a chance with that little guy around.
Hettmoe
Started
Started

Postby JASmith » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:11 am

That is a good looking little pup!
Rock Creek Gooseberry (Rebel)
JASmith
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Densa44 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:24 am

Welcome! When you think he is old enough, when the ice is gone off the creek (that way it is not so dangerous around here) bring him over. I've got some birds I can show him.

Way to go, you guys will be great friends. You can train him with Reena the German if you want.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:25 am

Densa44 wrote:Welcome! When you think he is old enough, when the ice is gone off the creek (that way it is not so dangerous around here) bring him over. I've got some birds I can show him.

Way to go, you guys will be great friends. You can train him with Reena the German if you want.

I am off to Manitoba to pick him up on Monday. I will be down to borrow a pigeon trap when I get back, so I can start catching the nuisance pigeons living around my place. I can expose him to birds, and make everyone in my neighborhood happy by getting rid of the birds. And I look forward to meeting your new pup and training my pup with yours. If we get all five dogs together next fall, we will have quite the posse. Those pheasants will not be able to run very far. :)
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Densa44 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:59 pm

Sounds like a plan. You will now need to cultivate new friends, that are safe with a gun, good shots, young and don't have a dog. That way you can hunt more than one limit.

I can't wait to meet him.

I have the pigeon trap, unless there is better advice on here, you need to take a live pigeon with you and put it in the trap to make it work. A hand full of corn too.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:20 pm

I thought I recognized that pup!

I'm getting one of his sisters!

Hugh is pretty great.

jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby CLC16 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:07 pm

image.jpg
Hey guys, here is a brother out of the same litter.

Feeling very lucky to find Hugh
CLC16
Started
Started

Postby stubblejumper » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:36 pm

Densa44 wrote:Sounds like a plan. You will now need to cultivate new friends, that are safe with a gun, good shots, young and don't have a dog. That way you can hunt more than one limit.

I can't wait to meet him.

I have the pigeon trap, unless there is better advice on here, you need to take a live pigeon with you and put it in the trap to make it work. A hand full of corn too.

Not to worry about shooters. I have a few very trustworthy hunters that I plan to take out for pheasant, including my go to gun dealer. If I can get him away from the store for a day , he will finally break in his custom Grulla 28 gauge SxS. He is a great person to deal with, and I am thinking that he will be great to hunt with as well. I also know another very dedicated hunter that I shot skeet with for years, that is great to shoot with. He is a waterfowl outfitter, so we could look forward to a waterfowl hunt in return, where our dogs could get some great experience with waterfowl. And then there is a fellow that worked for me for several years before I retired. Him and his wife are great people, and avid hunters. I am confident that I can provide safe and trustworthy hunters to hunt over our dogs.

That sister to my puppy also looks great. I spent a year deciding on a breed and on a breeder, and I am very confident that Hugh was the best choice for me. Between talking to him, and to people that have puppies from him, , it is apparent that he produces great dogs, and he is great to deal with. I look forward to meeting him when I pick up my puppy next week.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:14 am

It was a long 800kmdrive the first day, and not much sleep that night having to run the pup out from my mother's apartment to d his business during the night, and then another 500km yesterday, but we are home , and Butch as I have renamed him, is busy exploring his new home, and getting to know our other two house dogs. I got up three times during the night to take him out last night, and tonight I will try to get away with two times as Hugh recommends. The little fellow is friendly to everyone, and he learned to go up and down the steps on our deck yesterday, and he is off to a good start. He is exploring every inch of the yard, and we are walking throughout the neighborhood .
I was extremely impressed with Hugh's facility, extremely clean, in floor heating, air conditioning, soft music playing, and the dogs can go outside or stay onside as they please. Hugh placed a frozen baby rabbit on the floor, and my pup picked it p and proceeded to carry it around the room. Then he did the same with a frozen quail, Hugh exposes the pups to game birds and animals at a young age. Hugh sends a very complete electronic -booklet on housebreaking and training a pup to every owner, and I am following his directions. The wife is away for a week, so this first week will be a great opportunity to bond with the pup, and bonding and housebreaking is my only priority at this point. Once he is comfortable with his new surroundings and family, I will start easing him into the hunting training, one small step at a time.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion