Doggy KEVLAR? What's your TICK preventitive?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Doggy KEVLAR? What's your TICK preventitive?

Postby orhunter » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:39 pm

I had a dog react to some of the cheap stuff sold at Wally World. Don't know how the ingredients were different than the expensive stuff but reading the label should offer a clue.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:46 pm

Advantix was always extra greasy, frontline has oil to absorb too, but it was about half as much.

I tried something my last year of school, was new at the time, and it had a pungent tea tree oil odor. Is that the Vectra Freeze? Several products have come and gone since then and I can't remember if that was the one. The Certifect (now discontinued) had the same stink and I was not a fan.

There is a new oral product from the makers of frontline, but it's only approved for one type of tick, so I'm not going to test it (unless I get freebies through work) until that research gets published.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:49 pm

orhunter wrote:I had a dog react to some of the cheap stuff sold at Wally World. Don't know how the ingredients were different than the expensive stuff but reading the label should offer a clue.

There are a LOT of dangerous products sold OTC. I only recommend the big name products, I see too many reactions to the Sargents, Hartz and similar type products.

The labels tell you nothing unfortunately, because most are regulated as pesticides, not as drugs.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:33 pm

Cutting edge technology is OKAY,
BUTT......
I want to use something that's PROVEN safe, through time and experience. I don't want my bunch of Long and Short tailers as guinea pigs.....

Aye, what's the deal with DOXY this season?
Is the price of the stuff still rediculous or has it calmed down....?
I need another short supply....
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Freeze » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:34 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:I tried something my last year of school, was new at the time, and it had a pungent tea tree oil odor. Is that the Vectra Freeze? Several products have come and gone since then and I can't remember if that was the one.

I have no idea what tea tree oil is or smells like, so I cannot help there.

I started using Vectra 3D around the beginning of Jan 2011 (maybe late 2010). I believe it was "fairly new", according to my vet, at that time. I don't know if that would correspond to your last year of schooling.

I know the stuff is VERY BAD for cats ... like do not use if the cat could physically come in contact with the dog.

Honestly the vet recommended it, the dog had no issues with it, and I liked the results. I haven't really looked any further into it or substitute/replacement products.

-Freeze

P.S. Sorry this post provides almost no valuable data.
Freeze
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Cyril » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:25 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
I tried something my last year of school, was new at the time, and it had a pungent tea tree oil odor. Is that the Vectra Freeze? Several products have come and gone since then and I can't remember if that was the one.

Vectra 3D kind of smells like witch hazel. It is by far the best stuff I have used or seen as far as topicals. I have heard of some side effects, no different than the others, dry irritated or skin burns, nervousness in dogs. Also not approved for use on pregnant or nursing dogs.
Cyril
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:47 pm

Steve Anker wrote:Aye, what's the deal with DOXY this season?
Is the price of the stuff still rediculous or has it calmed down....?
I need another short supply....

One of the manufacturers of Doxy stopped making it, the remaining manufacturer decided to take advantage and jacked the price up 200+%. This has happened to about a dozen ancient generic type drugs the past few years, and it really burns me up.

Try getting price quotes for 100mg capsules. Last I checked the price was still reasonable on those if the dogs are big enough for that much drug.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:50 pm

Freeze wrote:I have no idea what tea tree oil is or smells like, so I cannot help there.

I started using Vectra 3D around the beginning of Jan 2011 (maybe late 2010). I believe it was "fairly new", according to my vet, at that time. I don't know if that would correspond to your last year of schooling.

I know the stuff is VERY BAD for cats ... like do not use if the cat could physically come in contact with the dog.

Honestly the vet recommended it, the dog had no issues with it, and I liked the results. I haven't really looked any further into it or substitute/replacement products.

-Freeze

P.S. Sorry this post provides almost no valuable data.

Lets just say a dog should not smell like a putrid candle for 3-4 days... whatever it was, I didn't care how good it worked, my dog STANK.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Freeze » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:55 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Lets just say a dog should not smell like a putrid candle for 3-4 days... whatever it was, I didn't care how good it worked, my dog STANK.

That is funny.

I have to admit that, again, I am not sure what a putrid candle smells like, but I do not notice any odor after application to my dog.

I agree I would not use it if it resulted in a foul smell.

-Freeze
Freeze
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:21 pm

Tea Tree Oil is foul stuff. I'd never soak my dog in it.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mbulg » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:21 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:
orhunter wrote:I had a dog react to some of the cheap stuff sold at Wally World. Don't know how the ingredients were different than the expensive stuff but reading the label should offer a clue.

There are a LOT of dangerous products sold OTC. I only recommend the big name products, I see too many reactions to the Sargents, Hartz and similar type products.

The labels tell you nothing unfortunately, because most are regulated as pesticides, not as drugs.

Do you consider Fiproguard Flea & Tick a big name? The label ingredients are the same as Parastar, but as you mentioned, it doesn't necessarily mean very much.
mbulg
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:02 am

mbulg wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:

Do you consider Fiproguard Flea & Tick a big name? The label ingredients are the same as Parastar, but as you mentioned, it doesn't necessarily mean very much.

I don't. The products I typically consider safe are Frontline, Revolution, advantage multi, and Advantix. Vectra and the Preventick collar have been around long enough to be added to this list now too.

The parasite control market is such a big money business that there are a lot of companies out there trying to get their piece of the pie. There are small companies with unknown quality standards, and with so many genetic products now the adverse event reporting may be so spread out we may not pick up on a problem the way we do with a new product from a major manufacturer. In addition to this, foreign countries are also making copycat products, and their ability to copycat packaging is incredible. For this reason, I can't recommend anything not on the list above, and I can't recommend anything not purchased through a veterinarian. I've seen some really scary stuff come out of the online pharmacies, medications who's label language was not in a language I could identify etc. they will buy anything to keep products in stock to compete.

With all that said, Fipronil is one of the safest of the parasite control products, and if it's made in the USA/Canada/Australia etc it's probably safe. I can't say that for a lot of the pyrethrum type products.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:22 pm

Try getting price quotes for 100mg capsules. Last I checked the price was still reasonable on those if the dogs are big enough for that much drug.

Doxycyclene.....YUPP- we've covered this topic in the past, YEAH the drug companys created a PALACE COUP to inflate the prices, around last year. We had quite a time finding the stuff in quantities and at regular prices.
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby MHH » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:02 pm

Last year I did some reading and I talked with some folks about using Y Tex Python (purple) cattle insecticide ear tags on our dogs to deter mosquitos, fleas and ticks. I read some who thought they were good for mosquitos and fleas but doubted the effectiveness with ticks. I read some who said this worked for ticks also.

I started using them last summer, later in the summer. It seemed to work very well for all three.

I read to cut the tag into four pieces and tie one piece on each dog. I used small zip ties to wrap the tag around the collar and keep it there.

There are cautions about not doing this with lactating females and not letting one dog chew it off another dog.

All of the above can be found by searching for 'using cattle tags on dogs as mosquito (flea or tick) prevention.' I found most the discussion was among hound and beagle guys.

I had told my son about this and he wanted a few to take on his recent trip to Africa (he is a pastor). He wore a full tag on two of his packs. He said he had at least one bag with him all the time.(He kept certain documents, medications, etc. in the pack.)

He also used the lotion, and the netting at night, that everyone else used. Everyone else had many bites during the trip. He had only two bites the entire 10 days they were there. He said it got to where people wanted to be close to him and his pack where ever they went.

The tags contain permethrin which is the same chemical in most of the drops or injectables used for insects, Advantix, Frontline, etc.

The advantage. No visit to the Vet. And a package of 12 (I think that is right) is 25-30 dollars. Using 1/4 at a time, and the fact that they last 2-3 months, some say longer, one package can protect a dog for years, or a few dogs for a few years. No matter what the math, it is way less expensive.

I could not find the Python one at the local Farm and Fleet and other such places so I ordered a package on the web.

I put a new one on my Lab a week or two ago. He had not had one on during the winter months. I live in Iowa, it was cold. I will be looking for bugs this season, and will report as the season goes on.

Your mileage may vary.

Mike
MHH
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby point taken (trolling) » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:49 am

I've been reading these posts with interest and am wondering about safe products for a young pup.
Been taking her for daily short walks and pulled a tick off each of the last two days.
I have an appointment with the vet next week and will get his opinion.
Just wondering if there are any questions I should be asking at the vet visit.
Thanks
point taken (trolling)
Started
Started

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion