Dilemma regarding dog choice, lab, DD springer

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Dilemma regarding dog choice, lab, DD springer

Postby minneguy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:32 pm

Hey all! I am new here, I have been reading all about a few varieties of dog that I am interested in and I need help deciding. I have been researching for over a year, and have narrowed my selection down to he following, Deutsch Drathaar, lab, or a English springer spaniel. I have always hunted over and with labs, minus a Gsp and an English setter. I do all kinds of hunting, including ducks, pheasants (wild and farm), grouse, and doves. I also do a ton of deer, bear, rabbit, squirrel, turkey and predator hunting. I have come to the conclusion that I only want to add one more dog to my family, as I already have an amazing Australian shepherd. I am looking for a dog that will sit quietly in the duck blind, bust brush for pheasants and help me find grouse. I have been told to get a DD but I have concerns about their ability to break ices late season, as well as their ability to sit still for a period of time in the duck blind. My other concern with a DD is that they are pointers. Some of my pheasant hunts happen in tall standing corn and I feel it would be a disservice to a pointer to hunt in such cover. Now as far as labs, I have never hunted for grouse with one but I hear it can be done, just not the best. Their less than stellar health makes me nervous as my last lab died suddenly at 6 and broke my heart. She was my girl and when she died I swore I couldn't have another yellow lab. As far as sprinters, I have heard and seen good things with peasants, but my dad has one that won't touch a duck to save her life. Is this common? She is pretty good for grouse, and will find any dove you can hit. My dilemma is that none of these breeds is going to be the best choice for at least one of my hunting scenarios. Does anyone have any advice or insight? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.
minneguy
Started
Started

Re: Dilemma regarding dog choice, lab, DD springer

Postby Fun Dog » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:41 pm

minneguy wrote: I have been told to get a DD .

I'd follow this advice!
Fun Dog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Okie4Life » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:48 pm

Fun Dog wrote:
minneguy wrote: I have been told to get a DD .

I'd follow this advice!

+1

DD's are known for their ability to "turn off" which is a great attribute in the house.
As far as sitting still in the blind, I feel that has more to do with your training than the breed of dog.
Mine sit quietly, but that is what is expected of him. I have friends with title labs, that whine the whole morning. Again more to do with training than the breed.

DD's are smart. I wouldn't worry too much about point vs flushing. They will figure it out.

Good luck
Okie4Life
Started
Started

Postby lanco » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:50 pm

Add Deutscher wachtelhund to the list.
lanco
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Cora's Shadow » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:02 am

With the variety of game that you hunt, I think you would be very happy with a DD/DK/DL if you want a pointing dog. If you like flushers, a Deutscher Wachtelhund would probably suit your needs much better than a springer or a lab.
Deutsch Langhaars vom Coraschatten
http://www.coraschatten.com
www.facebook.com/coraschatten

Deutsch Langhaar-Gruppe Nordamerika
http://www.dl-gna.org
Cora's Shadow
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby K Locke » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:42 pm

I wouldn't worry about a DD in late season duck hunting. I don't have one one but everyone I've seen are built like tanks. There are only a handful of lab people or less who post on this site so don't expect a lot of lab love.
K Locke
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby SavvyFM3 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:47 pm

I would Say DD for sure. See if you can get out to any tests only a few left this year and look at the different dogs running. They are very different and try to find some that fit into what you are looking for. Call a bunch of breeders question them and then get some referances on their dogs and question them to try and widdle it down. Lots of nice dogs out there.

Good Luck,
SavvyFM3
Started
Started

Postby GPBLITZ » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:03 pm

Get the breed you want. Not what others think !!!
GPBLITZ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SavvyFM3 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:33 pm

All for that,However he asked.
SavvyFM3
Started
Started

Postby gusto » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:58 pm

"breaking ice late season", get a lab or chessie. A DD can and will do it, but its hard on a dog when theres ice on. The best coats i have seen on a dog is a chessie. Good luck.
gusto
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby minneguy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:51 am

Thanks for the responses guys, I love the disposition of a lab, but because of the versatility I am really considering swaying from labs to check out a Drahts. I have to hunt with a few more of them before I can decide. My biggest concern is with their high drive and desire to hunt everything how will they do if we don't want them to sniff out deer when peasant hunting? Or will the just hunt everything? That is one of my biggest concerns with a dog that will track a deer or tree a coon at the same time it's hunting birds. I have had one dog that would sniff out every dang mouse in te field, but she was a heck of a dog when she was on the right critters
minneguy
Started
Started

Postby Duckdon » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:27 am

I think that training will handle all your concerns. I have 2 DD's and they don't sniff out mice. Oh sure, pups do but once they understand what your hunting they focus. Would I expect they would kill a coon in a cattail swamp while hunting phesants. Oh, for sure, but then it would be back to business.
They will hunt phesants and pick up a wounded mallard if they find it. If they do get on a rabbit while hunting upland birds I just call them off and we "Hunt Birds"
Just the other day, on a Montana goose hunt, I had a goose wing off over a hill about 500 yards away. A coyote had also been seen going up over the same hill. When I took the dogs, 3 hours later to find the goose it was evident they noted the coyote.......but they were hunting "dead Duck" and that is what they did. My bitch located the track of something? I let her take her head and she went across the valley, over the hill and gone, out about a 1/2 mile. About 10 minutes she is back with the goose. On the same note, hunting ptarmigan Josey caught, killed and delivered to hand, a Parka Squirrel and went back to hunting as fast as she could get rid of the rodent.
I like them, they fit my style, but I like my lab too. That said, when the lab is gone I will replace her with a DD.
As far as breaking ice...well... that is a few days a year and for me not much concern.
Good luck which ever way you choose.
Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaars.
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby minneguy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:05 pm

That's awesome that she found the goose, are Drahts really as good at blood trailing as I hear? Haha that's funny that you mentioned the coon, our old gsp loved tussling with them
minneguy
Started
Started

Postby minneguy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:23 pm

I am worried about the ice breaking thing, because I don't want to torture the poor dog or worse cause it o have any health problems. That's why Im still so stuck. I'm not in a rush to get a puppy, and I need more research.
minneguy
Started
Started

Postby TobyTx » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:29 pm

minneguy wrote:That's awesome that she found the goose, are Drahts really as good at blood trailing as I hear? Haha that's funny that you mentioned the coon, our old gsp loved tussling with them

I haven't heard much about it or seen it. Most people with dd here only hunt birds.

Some are good at it for sure but so are many breeds.
Cabo vom Sendero vjp 69 hzp np
TobyTx
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion