english springer spaniel/german shorthaired pointer mix?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

english springer spaniel/german shorthaired pointer mix?

Postby jegan » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:33 am

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with english springer spaniel/german shorthaired pointer mixes? Are they easy to train? WHat is their temperament? Are they good hunting dogs? I do waterfowl, upland, and possibly some tracking. Please let me know what you think. Thanks
jegan
Started
Started

Re: english springer spaniel/german shorthaired pointer mix?

Postby DK dreams » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:43 am

No experience with that particular mix.
The questions you are asking are based more on the individual dog. Who knows what a dog inherited from the parents/grandparents until it is lived with and trained?
Envirnmental factors play a large role in the eventutal outcome.
Health issues will be more of a hit or miss deal if you don't know the lines well. Could take a super gun dog out of the hunt at an early age.
DK dreams
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:44 am

Kind of an odd mixture, I really doubt any of us would own or have any experience with such a cross. You could be the first. One question, are the parents hunting dogs or pets?
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby gwp4me2 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:14 pm

For me personally it is just too big of a risk to take. First of all there are 2 lines of springers, show vs field. If the springer is out of show lines it brings nothing good to the mix. If the springer is out of field lines the best you can hope for would be the equivalent of an average Brit. The worst is a big running dog that won't point. You're committing to many years of living with the dog. It's worth getting what you really want to begin with.
gwp4me2
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AzHusker » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:32 pm

gwp4me2 wrote:For me personally it is just too big of a risk to take.

Too big a risk for me, too, for a pup. The only real way to really know what you are getting in that combo is to wait and get a started (yearling)or finished (2+ year old) dog.

The reason pups are less risky from established breeders is that the breeders have observed scores of litters previously, and usually the young dogs have test histories (e.g., NAVHDA NA). I would even prefer to go one step further and get a repeat breeding that has information available about previous litter(s) - even references you could call about pups out of specific parents and talk to them about the things that are important to you.

Also, established breeders know the health histories of their dogs, have eliminated lines with hereditary health issues, and provide health guarantees. This is a HUGE advantage. Any $$ you save on a pup with no guarantees you can easily spend x100 in vet bills down the road. It's taken me a whole lifetime to learn that one the hard way.

Getting a pup is always a crap shoot. How lucky are you feeling these days, and what would your plans be for the dog if it turns out to be unable to perform in the field like you want/need?

Good for you for seeking information prior to just picking the cutest pup.

Good luck!
AzHusker
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby TobyTx » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:26 pm

jegan wrote:I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with english springer spaniel/german shorthaired pointer mixes? Are they easy to train? WHat is their temperament? Are they good hunting dogs? I do waterfowl, upland, and possibly some tracking. Please let me know what you think. Thanks

I think someone is trying to sell their mistake.
Cabo vom Sendero vjp 69 hzp np
TobyTx
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:21 pm

TobyTx wrote:
I think someone is trying to sell their mistake.

I agree. A mutt is a mutt is a mutt.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey
HRCH HR UH Tucker (titled at 12.5 months)&(member of the HRC 500 Point Club)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:43 pm

Thanks Toby for saying what the rest of us were thinking......
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby gwp4me2 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:02 pm

Doc E wrote:
TobyTx wrote:I think someone is trying to sell their mistake.

I agree. A mutt is a mutt is a mutt.

There are mutts and then there are mutts. The scariest part about this particular cross is that they are totally different 'types' of dogs. flusher/pointer, shaggy/slick, soft/tough, etc. There are plenty of mutts that could still be counted on to be good hunting dogs but stay within the same group i.e. a brit/gsp cross out of hunting lines has a good chance to be a very serviceable hunting dog. I would never do it on purpose but if all I wanted was a hunting dog it wouldn't scare me like this particular combination.
gwp4me2
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby lanco » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:53 pm

Yeah that's not a match made in heaven. For sure no currency should change hands over these "oops" puppies. If the springer is from show/backyard lines I would avoid them at all costs. If both parents are hunting dogs things could work out but exactly what you get beyond retrieving is a real crapshoot.
lanco
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby jegan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:57 am

Thank you everyone for your replies and opinions. I saw an ad for this mix and thought I would ask to see what people thought. I definitely will not be getting one. Thanks everyone.
jegan
Started
Started

Return to General Discussion