The Large Munsterlander!

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

The Large Munsterlander!

Postby chiendog » Tue May 15, 2012 7:48 am

The low-lying, sparsely populated regions of northwestern Europe have been the birthplace of several of the gundog breeds that we know today. Most are long-haired pointing dogs that developed from a common rootstock of so-called chiens d’oysel. One breed, a handsome black and white gundog, is named for the area in which it was developed—the marshy plains surrounding the city of Münster, Germany. It is the Grosser Münsterländer, known to the English- speaking world as the Large Munsterlander, and often referred to as the LM.

More here: http://pointingdogblog.blogspot.ca/2012 ... ander.html

chiendog
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: The Large Munsterlander!

Postby Melomel » Tue May 15, 2012 5:48 pm

Beautiful breed of dog. I had the opportunity to hunt behind a couple in Indiana a few years back. It was a real pleasure to do so. Has been one of those breeds that are always on the back burner for me, and I cannot figure out why.
Melomel
Pup
Pup

Postby ryanr » Tue May 15, 2012 8:35 pm

Great article, I could picture in my mind's eye the sunset silhouetting the LM on point and the other 3 backing it perfectly.
"It's a Drahthaar, there is a difference."
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JIM K » Wed May 16, 2012 12:29 am

we had a few LARGE MUNSTERLANDERS in pointing trails at our preserve we hunt in ginter,pa.
they did very well.i think you can see results going back to year 1998.cindy scored a 232 , that is very good and beat out many setters and gsp .
look under RECENT EVENTS AND RESULTS.

GO DOWN RESULTS STARTING IN 1998. large munsterlander CAME IN SECOND OR 3RD PLACE ON POINTING.when you can beat out GSP/SETTERS , that is something.

http://www.warriorsmark.com
JIM K
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby aulrich » Wed May 16, 2012 1:30 pm

Some of the internet reading I had done states the the LM's tend to have a late devloping point, how late do they mean. I have played bumper on a string with my little guy (9 weeks) and I am pretty sure he has pointed a few times. Also if those were points the tail was going straight back is tail position a breed thing or a training thing.
aulrich
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby marysburg » Wed May 16, 2012 9:21 pm

Chiendog, thanks for highlighting these lovely dogs. We have some in our local gun dog club, and they are great to watch at tests and training days. Haven't hunted with them yet but hope to do so.
marysburg
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby ryanr » Wed May 16, 2012 10:07 pm

From what I've read I think LM's typically hold their tail horizontally, straight out, on point. Setters and pointers typically hold theirs vertical. I also read in one place that the point of an LM matures later. I'm not sure though if that actually means it develops, or shows up later, or not?
"It's a Drahthaar, there is a difference."
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby desaben » Wed May 16, 2012 11:42 pm

Both of my LM's pointed from the day I brought them home, and both were good retrievers. I have video of our first LM pup going out and retrieving our newspaper two weeks after we brought her home. Now I only get the weekend edition, so that they can both take turns going out and bringing in my paper. The only reason I have the paper delivered any more is so that can go get it for me, and they know which days it is out there. :-)
desaben
Started
Started

Return to General Discussion