It's that time of year again, stripping.

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

It's that time of year again, stripping.

Postby orhunter » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:16 pm

Yea, that dreaded task we hate to do.

Our dogs have been growing a new coat since last spring when we yanked out the previous winter's coat by the roots and if your ugly dog is like mine, it's time to do it again. For the Northern dogs where winters can be a bit harsh, now is just right. Warmer climates can wait a couple of weeks or maybe till the first of October. Your dog will thank you with stronger/longer days in the field and super good looks that helps to pick up chicks......

Something that'll help with the process is, two weeks before you've decided to take it on, go over the dog with a furminator or similar tool daily, to remove as much as you can. This will reduce considerably the amount of time spent with actual stripping. Another tip is those dogs with a ton of underfur that prevents the outer coat from lying flat, can be clipped after the major stripping is complete. Get as much of the underfur off the dog that you think is reasonable for your climate and expected weather conditions over the next month and a half. A flat lying coat sheds water and other foreign material far better than a lofty coat.

If anyone needs stripping instructions, give me your e-mail address via PM and I'll send them to you. Your dog will thank you.....

Harvey
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: It's that time of year again, stripping.

Postby Chinchy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:29 pm

orhunter wrote:Yea, that dreaded task we hate to do.

Our dogs have been growing a new coat since last spring when we yanked out the previous winter's coat by the roots and if your ugly dog is like mine, it's time to do it again. For the Northern dogs where winters can be a bit harsh, now is just right. Warmer climates can wait a couple of weeks or maybe till the first of October. Your dog will thank you with stronger/longer days in the field and super good looks that helps to pick up chicks......

Something that'll help with the process is, two weeks before you've decided to take it on, go over the dog with a furminator or similar tool daily, to remove as much as you can. This will reduce considerably the amount of time spent with actual stripping. Another tip is those dogs with a ton of underfur that prevents the outer coat from lying flat, can be clipped after the major stripping is complete. Get as much of the underfur off the dog that you think is reasonable for your climate and expected weather conditions over the next month and a half. A flat lying coat sheds water and other foreign material far better than a lofty coat.

If anyone needs stripping instructions, give me your e-mail address via PM and I'll send them to you. Your dog will thank you.....

Harvey

I thought it was bad to clip any of the wirehaired breeds??
Hill top Kennel
Home of
1 German Wirehaired Pointer &
1 Deutsch Drahthaar
Chinchy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:15 pm

Chinchy:

Through many years of experimintation, I have discovered the condition of the outer coat is controlled by the underfur. Many dogs have an overabundance of underfur and it has a very pronounced affect on the top coat. The "fluff" comes from below. Many dark coated individuals are almost all underfur which can overwhelm the topcoat. Female dogs seem to be the most prolific. Please keep in mind all dogs are individuals and one must have the ability to determine what's best for that dog. Also, this is about clipping the underfur, not the topcoat. DO NOT CLIP THE TOPCOAT.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 445 supermag » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:53 am

Or,

I thought that the furminator was stripping the dog :?

Well I guess that I need assistance send me info PM sent

Brian
445 supermag
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:55 am

445:

The Furminator is good at stripping very fine hair like the underfur but with certain dogs is ineffective in removing the top coat. Sort of depends on the dog. If a person has one of those hairy show dogs like I do, the furminator will not get rid of all the silver top coat. Stripping changes the whole color of the dog, from silver to brown 'cause the entire top coat is (should be) removed.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SelahCowgirl » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:26 pm

I love the firberglass stripping stones you buy at any farm and ranch store for 4 bucks, they roll the coat really well without the cutting of the hair like a furminator or mars coat king.
SelahCowgirl
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:00 am

The Furminator does not cut hair.

Yes, the stones are great at rolling a coat and this is best for many dogs. I'm going to try them. I think Ellie would do great with this method of coat maintenance. She's got an odd coat for a Griff but Cassie has the full, soft, showdog type coat and needs actual stripping. Gotta be able to read the dog to know what works.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:06 am

This is what knife stripping of a fully dormant coat looks like.

orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckman056 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:06 pm

orhunter wrote:Yea, that dreaded task we hate to do.

Harvey

I know this is old, but or can I send my email to you for stripping instructions?
Duckman056
Started
Started

Postby hicntry » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:37 pm

I have had 20 to 30 hairy dogs for 30 years. Never stripped one of them. Show people say clipping ruins the coat, but, I haven't found that to hold water. If they have a good coat to start with, clipping vs stripping isn't going to matter. I use horse clippers for years so I didn't have to bath them or comb them out. It is really easy to tell if clipping is softening the coat just by looking at the dreadlocks they are getting. If you don't see a lot more dreadlocks....the coat isn't changing....it is all in your head.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby fuzznut » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:28 am

If you have clipped them forever and never stripped them, then how would you know if clipping made any difference in their coat texture?
fuzznut
Started
Started

Postby hicntry » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:17 pm

fuzznut wrote:If you have clipped them forever and never stripped them, then how would you know if clipping made any difference in their coat texture?

That's pretty easy to answer actually. Many believe that clipping softens the coat of the wooly beasts. In the beginning, I had dogs that matted and dreadlocked. Since my dogs were outside dogs, they went in to a full coat every winter. After years of getting clipped 4 times a year, the ones with the crappy coats were crappy every year. On the other hand, as the years went by and the dogs were selectively bred for a harder wiry coat, even after a lifetime of clipping, they still had a maintenance free wiry coat every winter. Pretty easy to figure out when your doing multiple dogs.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mastercaster » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:20 pm

My griff is only six months old. Will she need stripping this year?
mastercaster
Started
Started

Postby orhunter » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:09 am

Mastercaster:

Tough to say without a photo. You'll need to keep an eye on dog and if at some point you can pinch a small tuft of hair and jerk it out, yes you need to strip the dog. As long as the coat is growing and healthy, the hair will not pull out. Don't pinch the hair too hard 'cause you can pull out the good stuff. It takes a while to get a knack for stripping.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:34 pm

Aaaaaaaah CARUMBA..........

See, I told ya them Woolies were a lot of work. All for the sake of being stylishly woolie. :D

Clip, stone strip, shred, under coat, over coat, trench coat, waist coat........guess ya gotta keep CLAIROL on the speed dialer. :mrgreen:
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion