THANK YOU ALL!

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: THANK YOU ALL!

Postby orhunter » Sun May 29, 2011 1:53 pm

Wow!!!

Read a little bit Wed. evening and by Friday evening I'd completed 269 pages.

How the rest of you doing?
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby huntvizsla » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:15 pm

We are slowly but surely working our way through the book. I must admit, however, to turning first to the Vizsla section - and I was suprised and pleased to find Baron looking back at me on pages 305 and 310. Thank you Craig for taking such wonderful pictures - you captured the essence of Barons intensity and drive.

Now - back to reading..............
huntvizsla
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby NDDD » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:50 pm

Where can I buy this book?
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold
NDDD
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby chiendog » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:12 pm

Where can I buy this book?

It is available on my website at www.dogwilling.ca/volume-one.html (or just click the banner ad above).

But I am working to make it available through other channels as well. I hope to be able to give buyers better, cheaper shipping options than the ones we have here in Canada, the land of the Postal strike.... :( :(
chiendog
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3DK » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:53 pm

Craig,
I received my copy today in good shape. Thanks. I did not want to wait for Saskatoon. It is bigger than I thought. People need to realize this is a full size coffee table book with incredible photography, but it is not just pictures, it is loaded with unique information about each breed.

I did not realize there were so many different (5) Braques.
http://www.threedevilskennel.com
http://www.wirehairalliance.com
http://www.vhdf.org
http://www.snakeavoidance.org/
____________________________________________________________________________________________
3DK
Started
Started

Postby DilmunDD » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:23 pm

Can't wait for it to arrive!! :D Although I am a bit worried and certain that I too will fall victim to the below statements!

After reading your book, I found I wanted several dogs. Ha ha.....

I've been hearing that a lot lately. One reviewer called the book "dangerous" because reading it caused her to develop a severe case of GAS (gundog acquisition syndrome)
DilmunDD
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby chiendog » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:32 pm

Good to hear the "eagle has landed" in Idaho!

I did not realize there were so many different (5) Braques.

Yes, there are actually more French pointing breeds than German pointing breeds. And in addition to all the Braques still around today, several others went extinct.

And speaking of French breeds, it took a long time for me to dig to the bottom of all their histories and my wife and I put on a lot of miles traveling around to photographing them all. But when it was all said and done, I came to the conclusion that it is a crying shame that they are not better known over here. The French have some absolutely fantastic dogs over there and they breed/train/select them like many North Americans do. They basically want dogs with lots of run, great noses, tons of point and at least some tendency to fetch. And that's about it. Some are bred for water work too, but some aren't. But all are bred to be more or less born trained.
chiendog
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:49 pm

Chein: I think you won the lottery....... You probably spent the lottery in putting it together..... Book two will be a whole lot easier, only a half dozen breeds. EP, ES, RS, R&W/S, what else?

I'm sure I'll be using the book for reference material for years to come.... Age related short memory.... I can read it in another month for the first time.....

Y'all take care....
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:08 pm

Digging this thread up, but I just got my book. What an incredible piece! So enjoyable.

My compliments on a well done book.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:40 pm

I loaned my copy to a neighbor and I think he ordered his own?
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby chiendog » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:50 am

Thanks for the resurrection of this thread and thank you for the kind words about my book. Has it been 7 years already? Well, I guess it is time to offer a bit of an update.

Volume One has been a great success. In fact it is nearly sold out, so I am thinking of printing a second edition. But first, I need to get cracking on Volume Two (spoiler alert: I'm working on it and hope to make major progress this fall/winter so stay tuned). I've also revamped my website http://www.dogwilling.ca with more blog posts, photos/videos and even a couple of new books written by others. One is a book on the Bracco Italiano that I translated into English last winter. The original Italian version was written by the world's foremost expert on the breed, a fellow who has been breeding Bracco's since the 60s and the other is on a versatile breed from Holland called the Drentse Patrijshond. The book was written by an American breeder/owner hunter and is now being prepped for a second edition (first one sold out).

Recently I've not participated as much on online forums as I used to mainly due to the fact that I have been focussing a lot on my photography school and studio http://www.prairieview.ca. In my spare time I've been working on introducing a French versatile breed of dog, the Picardy Spaniel https://www.picardyspaniel.org to North American hunters...and trying to get Volume Two done of course. So I'm still here, picking away at the mountain of projects I have lined up, and you guys will be the very first to know when I finally have another book in print.

Thanks again everyone!
chiendog
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby slistoe » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:39 am

I judged a Picardy at a hunt test here in Alberta many (10?) years ago. It was a nice dog. Have you any contact with folks in Alberta who have Picardy's?

Sorry, just remembered those were Blue Picardy's, not Picardy. Don Fath? Wonder if he still runs them.
slistoe
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby chiendog » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:47 am

Yes, Don Fath bred Blue Picardies (related to the Picardy, but different and considered a separate breed). He is no longer breeding due to health issues, but there is another fellow in Alberta breeding blues now.
chiendog
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:51 am

Glad to see you are still around cheindog. Miss your insight and historical knowledge of the various versatiles we all enjoy. I have had the book since it was first released and have enjoyed it. Looking forward the second volume as well.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion