NAVDHA Spinone Breeders

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

NAVDHA Spinone Breeders

Postby AlaskaMagnum » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:21 pm

A coworker is looking for a Spinone. For you NAVHDA guys, which kennels are producing dogs you have liked? I see lots of show kennels and he would prefer a kennel that produces more for NAVDHA and hunting than bench shows.
AlaskaMagnum
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: NAVDHA Spinone Breeders

Postby flitecontrol » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:20 pm

Not to start a flame war, but why does he want a Spinone? The ones I've seen were large, didn't move well, and performed poorly in tests compared to other versatile breeds
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AlaskaMagnum » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:03 pm

flitecontrol wrote:Not to start a flame war, but why does he want a Spinone? The ones I've seen were large, didn't move well, and performed poorly in tests compared to other versatile breeds

Because he does. Why do people like jazz? It's sharp, unharmonic, and kind of silly with the noodling nonsense. Classical music is much easier to listen to.
AlaskaMagnum
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:38 pm

AlaskaMagnum wrote:A coworker is looking for a Spinone. For you NAVHDA guys, which kennels are producing dogs you have liked? I see lots of show kennels and he would prefer a kennel that produces more for NAVDHA and hunting than bench shows.

I’d have him reach out to Jeff Christianson in OH. Jeff was at one point the president of the Spinone club and is a NAVHDA judge.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:58 am

Bobbi Benson in SE Iowa has been active in the Breed for a long time and would be a good resource to contact. She is very active in the NAVHDA Chapter on that side of the state.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Highlander » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:41 am

flitecontrol wrote:Not to start a flame war, but why does he want a Spinone? The ones I've seen were large, didn't move well, and performed poorly in tests compared to other versatile breeds

You know... some people love those exotic breeds.
The country that created that breed, Italy, does not really care about spinons or bracos, the most popular upland breeds over there are; 1. English setter, 2. Pointer, and 3. GSP.
for a good reason.
The hunter from highlands
Highlander
Started
Started

Postby Big Bird » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:33 pm

JONOV wrote:
AlaskaMagnum wrote:A coworker is looking for a Spinone. For you NAVHDA guys, which kennels are producing dogs you have liked? I see lots of show kennels and he would prefer a kennel that produces more for NAVDHA and hunting than bench shows.

I’d have him reach out to Jeff Christianson in OH. Jeff was at one point the president of the Spinone club and is a NAVHDA judge.

I believe you mean Jeff Rhodes in Ohio......
Big Bird
Conserve Game - Hunt with a Trained Dog
Bracco Italiano -adding entertainment to a hunt
Big Bird
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ryanr » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:06 pm

Does your friend know how hard it is to find even a decent HUNTING Spinone? Seriously, you have to REALLY do your homework. I've seen like one in a NAVHDA NA test that I thought could be a decent hunting dog. Sadly, most of the Spinone I've seen either have health issues or very little hunting ability, or both. And I actually like them as a dog, they're usually big and friendly. There have to be some good ones available but your friend is really going to have to be patient and do his best homework.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:10 pm

Jeff Rhodes....da man.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Warrior372 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:41 pm

I looked at them for quite a while before getting my brittany 3 years ago. It was actually pretty difficult finding breeders that cared about anything more then confirmation.

The most legendary name in the world of Spinones is Guido Malandruccolo. He was one of the first to start importing high quality Spinones from Italy that had both correct confirmation and a lot of hunting skill. I know he had at least 2 NAVDHA Versatile Champions and also had a dog win best of breed as Westminster. I believe he passed away a few years ago, but I think his children or grandchildren were involved with the dogs and have kept things going. His kennel is DiMorghengo Kennel out of Windsor, Canada.

Another breeder who runs NAVDHA with his dogs is Joe / Penny Masar out of New Plymouth, Idaho (West of Boise almost on the state line with Oregon). Their kennel is Sagebrush Spinones. I have actually seen 3 of his dogs hunt and they are great - Lois, Lily, and Trixie - who is out of DiMorghengo. All 3 were great at covering ground and finding birds - Trixie was the largest and had a really effortless looking gait while hunting, while Lily (a daughter of Lois) is on the smaller side, seemed to have the most prey drive and was doing equally well with field work on upland and with blind water retrieving while duck hunting - she actually found us a duck that another hunter must have shot and lost. He runs almost all - if not all - of his dogs in NAVDHA.

I just checked out Osage - Jeff Rhodes - and they look like they are all about hunting too! Very nice low key breed, but if you find breeders that focus on hunting you can get into some pretty good hunting dogs.
Last edited by Warrior372 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Warrior372
Pup
Pup

Postby JONOV » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:04 pm

Big Bird wrote:
JONOV wrote:

I believe you mean Jeff Rhodes in Ohio......

Correct. I had him confused with another NAVHDA judge. Also from Ohio.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Meridiandave » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:55 am

Joe Maser at Sagebrush gun dogs was the President of our NAVHDA chapter. I have trained with his dogs many times. If you want a Spi one that hunts. He has them. I am not sure what he has ahead for breeding.
Meridiandave
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Deuce » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:47 am

I'd contact Jeff Rhodes, Ted Wentik (doesn't breed, but has had several hunting spins and would point you in the right direction), or Lumpy's Kennel in WI (I've seen his female and was impressed).

While Spins get a bad rap, I'm seeing more and more that have what it takes to be great hunting dogs. They may not be what I like to look at or hunt behind, but I'm seeing more with the skill set than without. Granted, I'm an N of 1, but they can be found.
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby crackerd » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:20 pm

Deuce wrote:I'd contact Jeff Rhodes, Ted Wentik (doesn't breed, but has had several hunting spins and would point you in the right direction), or Lumpy's Kennel in WI (I've seen his female and was impressed).

While Spins get a bad rap, I'm seeing more and more that have what it takes to be great hunting dogs. They may not be what I like to look at or hunt behind, but I'm seeing more with the skill set than without. Granted, I'm an N of 1, but they can be found.

N of 2 here, and you are correct on spins' having what it takes, particularly as water dogs.

panegoose1.jpg

Am surprised nobody mentioned Lena Amirian out of Haverhill, Mass., who is confirmation-inclined for bettering the breed but I believe also had the first VC spin, or maybe the first UT Prize 1. Don't know if she's still breeding them but would be worth finding out.

If so trained - and so blessed with drive and desire to accommodate that training- spins are a delight to work, woods and water. Been almost 15 years since mine passed, and in the time since I've become convinced that not only could a spinone excel in AKC retriever hunt tests, but they are smart enough and strong enough in the water that they could compete in retriever field trials, which I've run since losing my spin all those years ago - if...so...trained.

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Spindog » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:07 pm

I have had 2 Spinoni. Both great dogs. One was a once in a lifetime dog. The other was above average. They were both from Da Grazia in Spruce Michigan. Not sure if Denise has any breedings scheduled. Not sure why they get such a bad rap. Not a big running field dog but great in cover on Grouse and Woodcock. They also did well in the marsh.
Dan J.
Guinness Da Grazia Male Spinone RIP Buddy
Macello Da Grazia Male Spinone Brown & White RIP Chow
Hidalgo's Leonardo da Vinci Male Bracco Italiano Orange & White
.ǝɯıʇ ɐ ʇɐ pɹıq ǝuo uʍop ǝpısdn p1ɹoʍ bop pɹıq ǝɥʇ buıuɹnʇ .ǝuouıds uɐı1ɐʇı
Spindog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion