Dogs v. (neigbors' cat)

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Dogs v. (neigbors' cat)

Postby bhennessy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:41 pm

Anyone with practical experience with their Vdog dispatching a neighbor's cat?

One of my Griff's almost caught one today in the yard (it was staking out the pigeon loft) and it didn't look like a stray.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Dogs v. (neigbors' cat)

Postby Willie T » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:17 pm

I'm taking the 5th on that one.
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:26 pm

Yes.

We had completed a 6mo long renovation of a rental property.

I was showering for the 6hr drive home when my wife screamed that our dog was trying to catch a neighbor's cat.

The cat was in the garden that we just planted and mulched digging to take a dump.

So, the dog jumped through the screen on the storm door that I'd just installed to get the cat.

She chased it into another neighbor's yard where the cat jumped into an ornamental tree to escape.

I was on our stoop wrapped in a towel and called my dog when she was in half circle and found the opening in the branches.

She refused and got the cat... one, two, maybe three shakes and it was over.

The owner was pissed until I showed her the garden, screen, and told her that the cat belonged in HER yard.

And, the moral of the story... you aren't a REAL versatile dog trainer until you have Schutzhund control and can call your dog off of a cat in this type of situation.

I'm not, and I've only seen ONE DD trained and proven capable of being called off of chasing a cat!

That owner was the best trainer I've known...

Everyone gets off on sicking their dogs on cats... big deal! jack-knife your dog in full lope off of a cat and you have my respect...

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby oldtimer » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:24 pm

Only part about owning a DD I dislike.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:40 am

My first Griff always approached cats as a skilled form of recreation. Dunno how many kills she racked up over the years because I didn't witness all them. My wife would come home from walks around the neighborhood and inform me, Cassie got another cat. It seems my wife would allow her to use the entire length of her 25 ft leash to exercise her prey drive. We live in a residential area, not out in the country so I needed to step in and train the wife to knock it off.

That's the downside of the meaning of, versatile. A necessary evil.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby carramrod » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:40 am

Hasn't happened yet surprisingly. I get an opossum gift about every other week, but no cats yet. We live in a subdivision, and there's enough around. It's rural enough I think the coyotes keep them kind of under control.

He came close one time, but I stopped him as he was running it down towards the front of the house by the street.

I absolutely despise cats that are let outdoors to roam free. Why it's socially acceptable to let them roam and not dogs is beyond me. Neither should be allowed free range.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby SMAbby » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:02 pm

Not just a DD issue. This not a brag, I actually really hate it as much as I hate the cats.
My Baja bitch is 3 for 4 right now. Last one was in front yard while neighbor was watching and trying to help cat. I offered to pay vet bills, but as I saw her shovel the cat into the pet carrier I knew it wasnt going to need a vet. :(
Problem is, my dogs are confined. The cats wonder. When they wonder past my yard, the prey drive kicks in and she scales the fence. Seems like a messed up situation all around. If I put a underground fence collar on her, she just lays around, which I dont think is fair. So, I just try to keep watch.

I think it comes with the V dog. They cant help it, they are used for things like this in the homeland. We dont have to do HN testing to breed our dogs unless you want to have a performance litter. I used to think it was cool or whatever that my dog could kill a 40 pound coon while hunting. I used to be ok with the fact that my dog kills an animal that I hate. I am not that person anymore. Maturity and the pain on the ladies face as she held her lifeless cat have changed that. I am of the thinking now that we shouldnt be doing this. I wont let my dogs engage in a coon, screw the damned performance breeding. I still have nice dogs without it.

As a note, the neighbors have NEVER done anything to us for it. The mother , an older lady living with the daaughter...or visa versa, just tells me it isnt my fault. But it is in ways my fault.

I would jack knife my dog off a cat in a heart beat. The deal is, they would have to wear an ecollar 24/7 and I dont do that. I could set the situation up, but who wants to volunteer thier cat for that?
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:09 pm

What cats??
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:49 am

No, but the Asian family that runs the restaurant doesn't shoulder the responsibility for the resentment of the neighborhood...

Actually I have gotten my dog to jackknife off cats. I had ample opportunity though since he points first and I don't walk him without an e collar.
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ForestDump » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:36 am

I've had it happen once years ago with one of my pitbulls and I'll never let it happen again. It displays a poor message and makes you look like an incompetent owner. I'm sure the optics are different when a fuzzy dog does it compared to a vicious pitbull but either way it's a great way to get sued, put a person in harms way or both. Just not a great situation. The prey drive with the gwp's is pretty strong when it comes to fur/feather but coming from keeping a kennel of gamebred bulldogs it isn't anything outrageous and I'm probably overly cautious.
ForestDump
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby ForestDump » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:36 am

I always end up double posting on this site.
ForestDump
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby hicntry » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:18 pm

It is pretty natural for dogs to dislike strange cats. No way I am going to sit around and worry about such nonsense. I keep my dogs in the yard and cat owners can keep their cats at home if they are worried about them. I keep cat food on the side of the garage for ferrule cats that keep the rats and mice under control and they stay away from the dogs area when they are out. I expect Tucco to keep people out along with the cats.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bhennessy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:14 pm

Good experiences all, thanks for sharing. I just don't want to have that conversation with one of my neighbors, most of whom we like, even though they should keep their cats under control just as I'm expected to keep my dogs under control. I guess there are no legal ramifications if your dog kills a neighbor's cat in your yard? I hadn't really thought about it until this past week when bear almost ran one down before I knew what was happening. He slipped around the corner of the house in front of me, stalking the pigeons like he normally does, and the cat must have been sitting there because I saw him explode like he was launched out of a cannon.

The dogs do keep the strays away I think (the fact that the pups piss on everything?), but the neighbors cats are either too domesticated, or too focused on my pigeons, to be appropriately wary of them.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JONOV » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:25 pm

bhennessy wrote:Good experiences all, thanks for sharing. I just don't want to have that conversation with one of my neighbors, most of whom we like, even though they should keep their cats under control just as I'm expected to keep my dogs under control. I guess there are no legal ramifications if your dog kills a neighbor's cat in your yard? I hadn't really thought about it until this past week when bear almost ran one down before I knew what was happening. He slipped around the corner of the house in front of me, stalking the pigeons like he normally does, and the cat must have been sitting there because I saw him explode like he was launched out of a cannon.

The dogs do keep the strays away I think (the fact that the pups piss on everything?), but the neighbors cats are either too domesticated, or too focused on my pigeons, to be appropriately wary of them.

You feel the same way I do. Even if I dislike my neighbors, what does letting the dog kill their cat accomplish? Even with people we might not like we have to look out for one another...

I'm not sure on the legal aspect...what's the value of a cat? $50? I know if you bought your dog for $1000 that's about all they judge it valued at if your neighbor killed your dog.
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:42 pm

JONOV wrote:
bhennessy wrote:Good experiences all, thanks for sharing. I just don't want to have that conversation with one of my neighbors, most of whom we like, even though they should keep their cats under control just as I'm expected to keep my dogs under control. I guess there are no legal ramifications if your dog kills a neighbor's cat in your yard? I hadn't really thought about it until this past week when bear almost ran one down before I knew what was happening. He slipped around the corner of the house in front of me, stalking the pigeons like he normally does, and the cat must have been sitting there because I saw him explode like he was launched out of a cannon.

You feel the same way I do. Even if I dislike my neighbors, what does letting the dog kill their cat accomplish? Even with people we might not like we have to look out for one another...

I'm not sure on the legal aspect...what's the value of a cat? $50? I know if you bought your dog for $1000 that's about all they judge it valued at if your neighbor killed your dog.

It accomplishes nothing... it is the way a passive aggressive person hides behind his dog. Truth be it known, many V-dog owners aren't the "alphas" that they would like to be though to be... they hide behind the work of their dogs...

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion