V dogs do it too

HRC, NAHRA, etc

Moderator: Moderator Pack

V dogs do it too

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:41 am

Attended another HRC retriever event last weekend near Seattle, Washington. These folks turn out, not only with their retrievers, but with all other kinds of animals too. You all know what a labrador and Golden Retriever look like, but have you ever seen a Boykin Spaniel, English Cocker Spaniel, Flat coated Retriever, Labradoodle, Standard Poodle, or Irish Water Spaniel? See how many you get right in the following photos. Both the Boykin and the Cocker ran and did very well, BTW. NIce retrievers for sure. There's also a picture of my young looking wife and our trophy dog (maybe it's my trophy wife and young looking dog?). Anyway, these folks are fun loving, don't take stuff too seriously, and have some fine running retrievers to boot.

They even had a separate "Upland" test where they plant four chukar for your dog and you're supposed to quarter, flush, and be steady, honor, etc. Of course my WPG took casts perfectly, slammed on point, was steady all the way through and retrieved to hand. The gallery hadn't ever seen anything quite like that (nor had most ever seen a finished pointing dog in action either) so we turned some heads - not only with the fine field work but flawless marked retrieves and blinds. Ouzel titled at the Seasoned Level ( 4 passes for 4 tries) and so now we're off to the Finished Level. More work to do.

VDogs do very well at this stuff .... I know I keep saying that, but it's true.

Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Puddle Rat » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:35 am

Cool pic's / storie!!!!

How did you get your pup to break point to flush the bird for the UH test???

Gary
Duck hunting isn't a matter of life or death - it is much more important

Member TEAM SMAC (Small Munsterlander Addicts Club)
Puddle Rat
Started
Started

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:43 am

I didn't. They're running pointing labs now days and I guess they don't make them flush either.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby snicklefritz » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:54 am

I'm a retriever guy and your sure right about a couple of things. The people involved are very friendly and helpful. And, Boykin's are a great little dog with a huge heart. If my wife ever sees one, I'll own one more dog for sure. :lol:
"When the sh*t hits the fan, you will not rise to the occasion. You will fight the way you trained."
snicklefritz
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:02 am

Congrats Bruce. Sounds like ya had a great time showing off your "real hunting dog" to everyone. Love the photos......
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:28 am

Enjoyed the pics.

Most recent seasons we've hosted as many or more Boykins at the lodge as Chessies or goldens. Fun little dogs with big hearts that tend to come from SE states, where wood ducks and ringnecks are the main fare.

(Most of the guides still call 'em, "those fuzzy little brown dogs," but I don't recall one cussing them - and we guides do love cussin' guest dogs. Reckon the Boykins score extra points for trying hard.)

Haven't caught on in our area, though, and I saw just one running HRC this Spring.

(A large Munsterlander, the first I've met, was my HRC oddest and only "V" dog sighting this year. Or in the past decade, for that matter. Was a GSP that ran some started back then.)
Rick Hall
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby yawallac » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:53 am

Boykins originated right here in South Carolina! I see them all over the place. Great little dogs! Very animated with a ton of heart. I try to make it to a Boykin Trial whenever I can. Pretty cool little beasts. :D
yawallac
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlee » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:51 pm

yawallac wrote:Boykins originated right here in South Carolina! I see them all over the place. Great little dogs! Very animated with a ton of heart. I try to make it to a Boykin Trial whenever I can. Pretty cool little beasts. :D

They originated in Spartanburg didn't they? One of my roomate's has 3 of them he and his dad hunt with. They swear by them.
mtlee
Started
Started

Postby yawallac » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:30 pm

They originated in Spartanburg didn't they?

I believe so. There are a lot of people of German decent in Spartanburg so that kind of makes sense! The pesky Germans will do anything to come up with a new breed!! :D

I have also heard that they originated in Camden, SC.
yawallac
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby snicklefritz » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:17 am

Their official website says Camden. It also says they we're bred from a variety of other spaniels and 'Chessies' :D
"When the sh*t hits the fan, you will not rise to the occasion. You will fight the way you trained."
snicklefritz
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby crackerd » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:56 am

Actually, it's a little known fact that Boykins are linear descendants of these wise creatures
X Chessie and assorted spaniels.

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:46 am

Crackered:

That spotted owl looks pretty good. Yummm..... I got a couple of bald eagles yesterday. Going to put 'em on the BBQ today......
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:19 pm

Help me out here... is that a flat-coated retriever?
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby crackerd » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:56 pm

All in the eyes, Bruce--ever seen a flattie with "burning orbs" like this?

Chessies, yup, 'cause that's where they got thrown from--Boykins, that is.

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:21 pm

------------------------------------------------------------------------All in the eyes, Bruce--ever seen a flattie with "burning orbs" like this?

Can't say I have. There's sure something about women with green eyes ... I know that much.

Never seen a goose that big either. And I guess I never figured a Chessie would have a soft coat on ears and hind end... maybe post a few more pictures for me?
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Retriever Testing