Started Hunting Retriever

HRC, NAHRA, etc

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Started Hunting Retriever

Postby JackieM1982 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:29 pm

I'm thinking about training my German Shepherd for the Started Hunting Retriever field test. NAHRA is nice enough to allow non-hunting breeds a chance in the Started level. We compete in schutzhund (tracking/obedience/protection) and agility, we've also dabbled in DockDogs, herding, etc. I think it would be something fun for both of us to try.

He has high prey drive, nice water entries and a good nose. He loves to retrieve his DFT but has never retrieved a real bird. There's a local NAHRA club I hope will let us get some training time with them. And I guess I should get some Dokken waterfowl scent to help with the transition?

According to the NAHRA rules, the Started level consists of five single marks, is this correct?

Any suggestions, tips, sarcasm, ridicule, etc. are appreciated. :D

Thank you! :wink:
JackieM1982

Postby orhunter » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:17 pm

Sarcasm. One of the many free services I offer.........

You want to do what!!!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

I say, give it a try but you are required to keep us informed and up to date with how the training is going.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:51 am

Actually, NAHRA will le you run a non-retriever breed not only in Started, but Intermediate and Senior as well. You can run your dog and get qualifying ribbons -- but with a non-retriever breed, you cannot be awarded titles.

There is a NAHRA Club in Indian Head MD. The contact person can be emailed at LAPERINI@ aol.com .

I would highly suggest that you register at the new NAHRA website at http://www.nahranews.org/ Lots of cool forums.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JackieM1982 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:44 pm

LOL! Okay, if this plan comes to fruition, I promise to keep you updated.

Thanks, Doc E, I didn't realize that they also allowed non-Retrievers in Intermediate and Senior. However, since they're more advanced [and I doubt there's enough hours in the day for me to stay on top of his other training as well as training for multiple marks, blind retrieves, out-runs (not sure if that's the right term), etc.] I think we'll just stick with Started.

Well, hopefully this goes somewhere...
JackieM1982

Postby fdv » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:19 pm

Doc E wrote:Actually, NAHRA will le you run a non-retriever breed not only in Started, but Intermediate and Senior as well. You can run your dog and get qualifying ribbons -- but with a non-retriever breed, you cannot be awarded titles.

There is a NAHRA Club in Indian Head MD. The contact person can be emailed at LAPERINI@ aol.com .

I would highly suggest that you register at the new NAHRA website at http://www.nahranews.org/ Lots of cool forums.

Thats about right do all of the work and get ribbons and but not title what a joke. I can tell in training if my dogs will perform to the standard so why pay someone to tell me what I already know. Give out the award the dog did the work. I wanted to do NAHRA but found out the other org. HRC was better and handed out .
Don't complain, Train!!!!
fdv
Started
Started

Postby Doc E » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:24 pm

HRC will not title a "non-approved" dog either, and NAHRA 'approves' many more breeds than HRC does.........And AKC won't even let one run.

NAHRA (in the Intermediate and Senior levels) is a MUCH more complete test than any other organization (except maybe NFRA).

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby crackerd » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:57 am

Jackie, where are you in Maryland--we've had border collies, St. Bernards and even an "un-retrieverish" gundog or two train, so a GSD would fit right in. (Got one in my front yard working on simple doubles as we speak.)

fdv, "HRC was better and handed out"--that's where your post ended above. If you mean, "HRC was better at handing out ribbons," well, I wouldn't disagree. It's virtually the same test week-in and week-out, whatever level, of which the same can't be said for NAHRA. There's a little stronger proclivity to test the gundogs, not the gun handling. :wink:

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JackieM1982 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:16 pm

Wow... St. Bernards, huh? I'm in Harford County.
JackieM1982

Postby crackerd » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:03 pm

Practically next door. Shoot me a PM and we'll get you squared for training--sweat equity doesn't acknowledge retrievers and non-retrievers--and also may (may) try and coerce you into taking on a more traditional (or maybe non-traditional :wink: ) retriever to supplement your kennel.

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Retriever Testing