Are Versatile breeds welcome at HRC events?

HRC, NAHRA, etc

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:16 pm

Thanks Rick. Looks like a ton of tests in midwest!

Question - when I look at the various tests, say, your's in LA on 8/12, it says the test was on 8/12 and 8/13 - are all three levels tested both days? I thought it would take two days to run all the levels. Where does it say that one can get two tests in per weekend?

Also, it looks like you can only enter one level per test. According to the rules, "No dog may participate in two different categories (Started, Seasoned, and Finished) per licensed hunt (one entry per dog). A dog participating in a Regular Hunt (Started, Seasoned or Finished) may participate in a separate Upland Hunt(s) on the same day."

I was hoping to run both finished and seasoned the same test but it doesn't look possible. But, I could do two seasoned or two finished per weekend, if they have a double test? Sorry for being so redundant here.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

HRC

Postby bill10979 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:31 pm

I had not read the rule on my earlier post, but spoke to the President of my chapter today. It was a wild stab I had in mind but it wont fly.
Youre restricted to run 1 test and only 1 test only, on any given day. Usually all 3 levels are tested on a weekend in very close proximity to one another in my experience.

Generally, the Finished book well in advance-then followed by started.
Im running this weekend, and lots of openings for both seasoned and a few started, (but FInished is booked-not there yet anyway.)

FYI-I think it helps to watch a test prior to, which I did. Nothing wrong to run a started and then shuttle over when complete to watch a seasoned test and get a handle on it-a rule book helps too. Get your 10 points and run seasoned the next weekend.?
Just an idear.
bill10979
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:25 pm

Unlike AKC Master tests, all levels of HRC tests are run in one day. So while the one dog can't run in two catagories on the same day, it can run two tests at whatever levels you choose per weekend with most clubs.
Rick Hall
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

HRC

Postby bill10979 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:34 pm

Rick,
I must apologize for being a little slow, can you please elaborate.
Are you saying that you can run 2 started tests say on a Saturday?
You lost me.
thanks
Bill
bill10979
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:08 pm

That's great. Bill, it means that if a HRC test is held on Saturday and Sunday, then all three levels are tested on Saturday (as a single event) and then on Sunday they test all three levels as a second test. You can get, say 20 points towards seasoned level in a weekend! I'm really glad to know that, as I thought it would take two days to get a single test in.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:09 am

Bruce is correct, by "two tests...per weekend" I was assuming the club would run two seperate events, one three-tiered (Started, Seasoned and Finished) event Saturday and one three-tiered event Sunday.

Pulling that off with such a popular game means a single HRC hunt test may run multiple 20-30 dog "flights" of a given (Started, Seasoned or Finished) level concurrently, as well as running all levels concurrently. And things like tracking or quartering are foregone for expedience sake. (Though the rules did say they "may" be included in Seasoned and/or Finished, one wasn't apt to see them outside an Upland test, which is its own seperate event. Think that's now been removed from the rules but not sure.)
Rick Hall
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

HRC

Postby bill10979 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:34 am

You had me all confused and a little excited Rick. But not to be....
Cant say Im the sharpest knife in the drawer, as I thought you implied we could run 2 xs same day. Rats.

Hows your chessie? Any plans to finish him up? Dont let us V Dogs beat you to it man! Funny thing..a chessie and a brit is a very unlikely duo.
Both your dogs are very nic elooking as I recall.
bill10979
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:41 pm

The pup only has three Seasoned passes, and there are only two more local tests (one weekend) that don't conflict with September teal, and I doubt we'll travel as far as need be to put an HRCH on him this Fall. But I told his breeder I'll title Blue if he has the stuff, which he does, so I expect we'll finish him sometime next Spring.

Always tempted to test the Brittany just for snorts and giggles but haven't took the full fit just yet. Would slam dunk Seasoned but give me fits on a tough Finished blind with lots of scent suction. If only they'd let us enter or not after we got to see the test dog run...

And you're not the first to suggest they're an odd pairing, but I find them about right. Very different in some welcome regards and much the same in others. Good hands, the both of them.
Rick Hall
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Retriever Testing