Are Versatile breeds welcome at HRC events?

HRC, NAHRA, etc

Moderator: Moderator Pack

HRC

Postby bill10979 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:25 pm

Thanks Bruce, and likewise, very nice WPG you have. Mine's just a German Shepherd wannabe dressed up like a PP! Love your photos too-just gorgeous. Hope to get up there. Talkin to my bro about a salmon/ptarmigan hunt...
bill10979
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:23 pm

Bill,

Well, here's a spot where we hunt ducks. You gotta go another six miles for the salmon.

Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:38 am

Bruce, do you have to spoil all those great scenery shots by putting that ugly dog of yours right in the middle???
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:28 pm

Sorry, Orhunter.... the dog's just a ham for the camera. Here one I took this morning at one of the muskeg ponds where we train. When you live in a place that gets 195 inches of rain a year you gotta savor the nice days. Last year summer was on a Wednesday!

Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

HRC

Postby bill10979 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:53 am

OK Bruce,
My UKC papers just went in the mail. Your Turn!
Get out there and have a ball. Youll like the tests, I promise you. Alot of fun and good guys. Looks like your dog can keep up easily, provided he can handle.

(Dont tell the VDD guys, but I had to register as a GWP. Blasphemy I know!)
UKC doesnt recognize a DD. Oh well. Her dam and granddam were registered as the same w/UKC.
bill10979
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:56 pm

Bill,

OK. Working on it. There's a slight problem getting to the tests fom where I live. There don't seem to be any more tests this year in the Seattle area but there's one up in Fairbanks on July 21 and 22, however we're scheduled to do a AKC hunt test in Anchorage area the same dates (need one more leg on senior).

I have a friend who ran an HRC test in Fairbanks a couple weeks ago with her DD and I think finished last leg at the "seasoned" level - so I don't think it's out of the question for sure.

Keep posting on your success.

Bruce
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:53 pm

I'm thinking of taking a road trip next summer to do a bunch of HRC tests if possible. Maybe three weeks with some training/visiting in between. Do any clubs have "double tests" - two on a weekend? Where in the country is the densest population of tests for a given period? Might be a lot of fun.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

HRC

Postby bill10979 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:46 pm

Bruce,
heres an idea. Lots of guys with multiple dogs shuffle back and forth the same day. They may let you run started and seasoned in the same test?.
Youd run early started and then run last in the seasoned group.
The tests are all real close usually a few miles. Some may restrict to only 1 venue per dog, but its doable if not, you might be a first!

Started is easy but will go up to 70yd. marks in knee high weeds. Only singles I think and there are 2 of them. About Same in water. steadiness not required you can hold your dog.
Seasoned requires steadiness to gun, double land and water marks, a water blind-that blind can also be an angle and they want your dog to "Challenge the blind" which I dont like-as a hunter Id prefer my dog gets their the easiest way that I can direct her-say a 90degree rather than a straight line angle across water etc., but thats the way it goes. Its a control game but I like it alot regardless, both the club members and the tests. Youll enjoy Im sure and do well.
bill10979
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

HRC

Postby bill10979 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:55 pm

Off HRC topic, but a few retrieve pics-a 300m fox drag a few weeks ago. Anyone who tells you this is easy is lieing-like some on here. Lots of dogs refuse them, will pee all over the place smelling them-just no interest. I kind of got lucky with this dog. My buddys fetched a coyote he had killed. Wish I had pics. Anyway.. Bruce put some more out of yours and get working on the WPG calendar!
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e34/b ... eFox_4.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e34/b ... TheFox.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e34/b ... eFox_3.jpg
bill10979
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:11 pm

Cool stuff. Great photos......
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:08 pm

Bill,

Yes, very cool pictures. Big fox, too! And thanks for the suggestions on the trials. I gotta see if one can enter two levels the same day... I kinda thought you couldn't. Anyway, I checked some tests out and it looks like I could get one every weekend for three weeks if I planned it right. I know you can use 40 points from the seasoned towards a CH title, but the other 60 come from the fininshed level. Seasoned gets you 10 points per pass, and 15 for finished. I think 100 is the goal. I'll check this out. It's a lot of trials at one 10 or 15 pointer at a time!
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:53 pm

Bill,

Don't ever need to ask twice for a picture. Been cool here - fire in wood stove every day. Here's a shot from a few weeks ago. I like the action in the dog and everything else still.

Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:50 pm

Bruce:

I give up. That beautiful scenery makes Oregon come in second every time. What kind of dog is that in the picture?????? Why did you have to mess up a great photo with such an ugly dog?
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

HRC

Postby bill10979 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:00 pm

Good Golly Miss Molly, Ireland is the Emerald Isle, but Alaska is the Emerald state! My wife even commented how Green! Keep it up, and youre going to have me as a neighbor, and Im one opinionated SOB as you now know.(But I dont like ot discuss politics or religion, truthfully).

Funny story. I got an interesting neighbor 2 weeks ago, Rich Franklin who is a fighter in the UFC. I was at his house last week-he's training for a fight in Oct. w/a guy named Silva-pretty tough he says-Richs face was bruised, spilt lip, hands a mess-why I gave up training 2 years ago-too taxing on the body. Anyway, My wife and i looked at the property(15) acres and a pond, lots of wildlife, but the house was a tear down, 2 barns needed worked, just too much really. The fox we worked with came from his property in fact-a roadkill- I found that morning. I dont know him well, seen him at the gym off and on for a few years, but hes a very nice gentleman. Lean and very well conditioned. Beat Shamrock a year ago pretty bad.
He wont let me deer hunt his property but I said call me when they start eating your wifes garden! Cool dude though. Train , train, train is their life.
bill10979
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:55 am

Bruce Schwartz wrote:I'm thinking of taking a road trip next summer to do a bunch of HRC tests if possible. Maybe three weeks with some training/visiting in between. Do any clubs have "double tests" - two on a weekend? Where in the country is the densest population of tests for a given period? Might be a lot of fun.

Bruce, I don't know that it's universal, but all HRC clubs in our region run two "hunts" (sets of tests) on their weekends. Makes folks more inclined to travel to test, lets us play more and is an excuse to party Saturday night.

And there's a club map on the HRC site that should give you some notion of test concentrations: http://www.huntingretrieverclub.org/clubinfo.htm
Rick Hall
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Retriever Testing