Thinking of running my PP HRC

HRC, NAHRA, etc

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Thinking of running my PP HRC

Postby CEA » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:59 pm

Anyone recently ran the HRC with their pup? They are having one close by in June. Just wanted to know how people felt about it with a versatile.
CEA
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Thinking of running my PP HRC

Postby Doc E » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:40 am

Do it ! !
Train your dog one level above where you will be running it. (train for Seasoned if you're going to run Started) ( Train for Finished if you're going to run Seasoned).

You'll have a ball and so will the dog.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:20 am

I think Bruce Schwartz has done it or at least trained for it. Pretty sure Dakota Zeb has done it with his Brittany.....and done pretty well.

Not a reason on the planet to not do it. Have fun.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby migratesouth » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:59 am

Will training / running in HRC build some of the skills my pup would need for NAVHDA UT?
Ripsnorter's Indiana Jones (Indy) NA 108 Prize 1 :: http://imgur.com/a/fzQAO
http://www.tarheelnavhda.com
migratesouth
Started
Started

Postby JTracyII » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:06 pm

migratesouth wrote:Will training / running in HRC build some of the skills my pup would need for NAVHDA UT?

Personally,

Id wait until after UT because you want to create an independent duck search to do well in the Duck Search part of the UT test and if the dog is used to taking hand signals then it might rely on you to find the duck. Just my thoughts.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Constructeur » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:01 am

I completely agree with Jtracy, but still think you should go just to throw an eyeball on it and meet some new folks. :D
Constructeur
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Deacon » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:19 am

I believe the duck search concern is valid, however quite a bit of what you will be doing is marks (and remaining steady for those marks), and those should have no bearing on your duck search. Go and learn. I spent the first half of last season working my youngest PP with our NAHRA club. I stopped working with them due to trying to put the final touches on my dog's utility training and then he sustained a serious injury. They were quite welcoming.

I would also add to go with your focus still on UT first. As an example, last year, after my dog had a successful run of handling some advanced marks over land, I had him work with the top dogs. They were doing some really difficult marks in tall grass, at distance. I asked for a double to be thrown. The birds landed 70 yards apart or so. My dog was sent and failed to initially locate the second bird. He expanded his search and soon was in the vicinity of the first bird. The person who was helping me told me to stop him and re-cast him. I didn't. I was thinking about the duck search and felt that the only important thing was that he found A bird. He located the first bird and then found the second, on the re-send. Obviously, this is not what the retriever guys wanted to see but it suited my needs just fine, and they were alright with that.

I hope to continue w/ NAHRA when my dog's NAVHDA career is over. According to the officers in my club, NAHRA has changed their rules and now allow non-traditional, registered, breeds to run their tests. I would love to see more pudelpointers running both NSTRA and NAHRA/HRC
Deacon
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Retriever Testing