Opinions on HRC Tests/Title

HRC, NAHRA, etc

Moderator: Moderator Pack

HRC

Postby bill10979 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:49 am

Thanks Dave-we think alike on this one. I believe the I can have her search with a "wheres the duck" & then Fetch command.

For blinds, i will use mark and back-this was exactly what the trainer I worked with used for his Labs. BTW-he is competing in the Grand-what exactly does that entail? I dont have the interest in pursuing it that far-am just curious. Too busy working and hunting this fall. It will be hard enough getting 3-4 weekends to get her a Seasoned title, but I am looking forward to it. Nice bunch of folks and much closer than any other dog group including Navhda or DD.
bill10979
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ME » Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:39 pm

Bill,
How did you do in the HRC tests this fall? I haven't heard anything.
Don't be a liberal
http://www.kgov.com
http://www.tcuplandhunt.com
God's enduring commands still stand and you will be judged by if you publicly stood up for them. Matthew 10:32-33
1) Thou Shalt not Murder (this includes Abortion)
2) Thou Shalt not commit Adultery
3) Thou Shalt not steal (this includes having the government steal for you)
4) Thou shalt not bear false wittness (purgery)
ME
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Test

Postby bill10979 » Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:44 pm

my wife the nurse was "on call" the weekend of the test and couldnt get anyone to cover, which left me stuck w/the kids-I had to forego the test and it was the last 1 in this area until next Spring. But no call for her this weekend, so I get to hunt tomorrow which I am excited about. Grouse opened yesterday here in Ohio.

I am excited about the test and cant wait to run. I dont know if I will ever Finish her, but I at least plan to get her through the Seasoned Portion HRC next Spring-I believe she can do that w/training-If she performs, we will go for Finished but its a big If, shes only 2.5 so we got some time. Its a nice group that trains together-and they really liked her drive and personality-they are mostly Labs 50 or so, 1 Chessie, 1 Golden, 1 PP, and a Boykin. You were right about the dogs some very good ones-Grand Champions even-I was impressed with the cooperation, but they are very handler dependent-I liked what I saw, but wouldnt trade mine. These guys take it very seriously and run dogs across the country-dont know how they stay married! Or maybe thats the secret to em staying married!
bill10979
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

DD/Gwps Titled

Postby bill10979 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:36 pm

Me: I did some research on my dogs registry or German Afantaefel. My bitches Grand Dam was ALi V Backwater an HR Titled Dog. Ali's Dam, was Dixi v Northland who was a Champion Titled HRC dog, I presume 1 of 3 DD/GWPs to ever have this title.
Question: Is there a designated title for a Grand Champion(what is it) and has a DD/GWP earned this title?
I wondered if Dixi was? I heard that a 1st Springer and Boykin just became titled Grand Champions recently, wondering if any Ugly Dogs share that title? What is the difference-is it all accumulative pts to 500?
thanks and good hunting
Bill
bill10979
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Mark Copeland » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:04 pm

The difference is points..

To get an HR title you need 40 points.

To get the HRCH you need 100.

Not entirely true. The biggest difference is the test themselves. Finished test are much tougher than seasoned test but I'm sure you knew all of this. I have a feeling the deceased dog which is being referred to here is the ability to handle and mark an additional bird or birds. They let a lot of things slide in seasoned that they would not allow in a finished test.

BTW Me, congrats on the HRCH title. I've always felt the needed handling skills for a HRCH would be detriment to the skills needed for west Texas quail hunting so I haven't pursued HRC with my shorthairs except the started test just to pass the time while waiting to run finish with my lab.
Mark Copeland
Started
Started

Postby ME » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:37 pm

Bill,
The GRHRCH is for all HRCH's to compete in. It is the GRAND as it is called. It is a five day test. Each day all the dogs run the same test and those that pass go the next day. You must pass every day and then they run an upland test for those that do. If you pass you are a GRHRCH. Sounds like your dog has the gentic ability to do HR level and it should be a breeze. Now for the HRCH it will be the dog plus your training ability. There are no short tails that are Grand champions that I know of. The HRC will not let the dog point the bird and you flush it, the dog must do it. Plus they will not pass the dog in upland if it is more than 30 yards from you.

Mark,
Thanks,
I just got back from western Oklahoma hunting quail. He did a great job finding coveys and singles of quail. He ran big and hard three days in a row. I don't know your dogs but I am glad that my dog handles like a good lab in the water. In Iowa hunting ducks the blinds that he did and the way he handled would make any duck hunter proud.. :D
Don't be a liberal
God's enduring commands still stand and you will be judged by if you publicly stood up for them. Matthew 10:32-33
ME
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Mark Copeland » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:37 pm

I may be wrong but I thought you were from WI? If so the spring 05 Grand will be held on the Bong Recreation area in Wisconsin. Ought to be fun.
Mark Copeland
Started
Started

Postby DD4ME » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:05 pm

ME,

Not to nitpick your post but it takes two (2) Grand passes to title the dog. If memory serves there is also a point requirement - though it is probably met by the time you get to that level. A very small fraternity.

A buddy of mine (He owns the Boykin that just titled) who has been to the last several says a GSP has run in them but dropped somewhere along the way each time.

dave
DD4ME
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby ME » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:36 pm

DD4ME,

You are probably correct on the number of passes. It is 5 days long so I figured that one pass should do it.

Mark,
I am in WI but got the chance to do a swap hunt for some quail. They are fun to hunt but not as fast as I had heard. A grouse still moves faster and in thicker cover IMO.
If they have it at the Bong I will be there helping in some way. The prez of my chapter was talking about getting the grand up here so I guess he got it ehh..

I was thinking of settting up a video camera and taping each dog that runs and then selling a tape of the dog's runs to them for posterity and the club would get the profits.. I would get up on one of those tripod stands so that you could see the dog and the cover at all times. It wouldn't be that hard to do and then just put them on a DVD or VHS tape. I think most of the guys who are running would for 25 bucks like a tape of there dogs 5 passes of the grand tests. Even those who don't pass may like it. How many are going to enter do you know..? Are you going?
Don't be a liberal
ME
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Reliability

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:10 pm

Teach the pattern blinds so the dog runs straight through cover when you give whatever command you are going to give..

Does it work all the time for you?:?

Help plz

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:07 pm

Does any one know what is wrong here?

Previous

Return to Retriever Testing