Example of HRC water test, Big Picture...

HRC, NAHRA, etc

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Example of HRC water test, Big Picture...

Postby ME » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:23 pm

THe test begins when you check with your hunting buddy who is sitting to your right about 20' and you both begin calling.
Then the first mark is thrown after you have stopped. The first mark in the test lands just in the water and then the second
hits the ground and rolls into the weed out of site. Then the third bird come which your buddy to the right shoots at twice.
The bird lands in the weeds on the point of the far shore. You then send your dog to pick up the birds in any order. The dogs
usually go for the last bird (go bird) first, which in this test means it runs past the other dog about 10' in front. That is the honor
portion of the test for your buddy. Once your dog has left to make the retrieve and is on it's way then your buddy is excused.
You then pick up the other marks in any order. Once you have picked up the marks you then line your dog up to run the blind. In this
test there are two points that stick out one where the 3rd mark was and the other past that to the left of the blind ( the bare spot on the bank.
Your dog must challenge the line to the blind and if it gets off course you must be able to correct it.

Take your versatile to a HRC test and run they are fun and the judges judge based on what you would want hunting with a good retriever..
Your dog doesn't have to take a straight line to the marks and can run the shore if it wants. Just like you would want in hunting...
Don't be a liberal
http://www.kgov.com
http://www.tcuplandhunt.com
God's enduring commands still stand and you will be judged by if you publicly stood up for them. Matthew 10:32-33
1) Thou Shalt not Murder (this includes Abortion)
2) Thou Shalt not commit Adultery
3) Thou Shalt not steal (this includes having the government steal for you)
4) Thou shalt not bear false wittness (purgery)
ME
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby MT DDs » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:33 pm

Thanks ME, that is the info that I was looking for. I just watched a NAHRA senior test two weekends ago. It was similar to what you are decribing there, but it was run in tighter quarters. The marks were thrown much closer to each other, which did cause a disqualification for one dog because it supposedly(judgement call) searched in an "area of fall" then left and picked up another mark. What you are decribing would eliminate that little problem.
94 yard blind. My little girl did one about 65 or 70, that was straight across a deep slow moving creek. I was pretty pround of her for that. The second time I did it she ended up upwind from the dummy, and wouldn't take a hand signal to swim downwind along the far bank to wind the dummy, I had to throw a rock. Getting her to trust me on the hand signals is a bugger. She just wants to use her nose period. And that is what the judges in our(VDD) test want, they don't want you handling and overhandling the dog. For our tests, I just have always sent my dog on a line much downwind of the blind or the track on the water for the search behind a live duck and let the dog swim into the wind to the target, but that still leaves too much to chance and a longer search if it is missed or the wind changes. So that is why I wanted to get the hand signals down with this dog.
ME, did you use a certain book or manual to train from?
MT DDs
Started
Started

Open Test

Postby bill10979 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:45 pm

Thank you ME for the help and tutorial. It looks like alot of fun and will give us something to do. I found a HR Group close to me-30 minutes or so- and I knew nothing about this all this time. Can't wait to start.
bill10979
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Open Breed Test

Postby bill10979 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:56 pm

Me, ? for you. On the 3rd Mark Go Bird-is the bird reeled out to the opposite shore from the where the blind is, or is it close to the blind and placed in the cattails? If it is in fact going away from the blind-that is 1 really neat test and challenge and I could get excited training for such an event. Thank you for clarifying in advance.
bill10979
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ME » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:08 pm

The bird was not reeled it was thrown by the winger to the reeds.

There were plenty of dogs that went back to the second mark after picking it up and had to be handled to the 1st mark..Not good.
You get one handle on a mark per test. On the land the judges threw in a report double for the second and third marks.
They landed about 5 yards apart. Many dogs got screwed up by that one..
Don't be a liberal
God's enduring commands still stand and you will be judged by if you publicly stood up for them. Matthew 10:32-33
ME
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ME » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:42 am

MT DD,

There are a few things that you can do to help your dog and not make it become dependent on you.

First,

Do handling drills that are short and sweet. Baseball, stop and cast to a mark.

Teach you dog that all casts lead to retrieves.

At bucket place bumpers 40 yards or so. Send dog to retrieve. Do for a few days. Now make a small t with the bucket being at top of the
t and then a pile at the ends of the cross one pile only to start. We want the dog to have one direction down before introducing another.
Send dog when it gets to bucket there are no bumpers (helper took them) stop dog and toss a bumper to the pile you want the dog
to go to. Don't let dog go to pile until you signal. Then send dog back to bucket to get a bumper that has been placed there. Do this until
you have one direction down and then do the other separately. Once this is down then add them together. You should be able to stop the
dog on the way to the bucket or just a pile of bumpers and cast it to one of the piles. For every time you stop the dog on the way to the
center pile and cast it over you must do four more that you don't stop the dog on..Or you will get a dog that "POPS" when you go to the
HRC training and test you will see what I mean so take steps to avoid this..On other thing remove the bucket as soon as the dog knows what is expected of it and will take your cast from the line in the direction you want..

If you have someone to train with put a marker or bucket on the far shore. Send the dog to the bucket (dog should have already done
this on land and knows that at the bucket it will find birds/bumpers.) let it get a bumper. Now while the dog is coming back have a buddy place
a bumper 20 or so yards down wind of the bucket. Send the dog when it gets to the bucket NO bumper. You stop it and send it in the direction
of the bumper. When it comes back place another at the bucket and send to bucket again. Do this at a place were it is a short swim 30 or so
yards so that the lesson can be repeated quickly without a long swim. Now do it in the other direction repeating the same set up. The dog
will come to trust you and learn that there are a couple of directions that it may be asked to go...

If you really want a dog that handles well in the water then you need to teach the dog the swim by...

One thing about training for HRC finished is that I now have a much better more finished hunting dog. While having a Pz 2 181 dog, and then getting
a pz 1 204 with the same dog all the training didn't make him any better hunting dog but his score was better. Funny how that is... :lol:
Don't be a liberal
ME
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

ME

Postby DD4ME » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:22 pm

Surely you know the difference between a Prize I and Prize II is often a difference between polish and performance. Mine was no better dog the day he had the PI than the day he had the P2 - I just had better control and a different goal.

To your picture - A hot blind on the point between Marks 1 and 2 would have been interesting don't you think???

dave
DD4ME
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby ME » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:05 am

The wind was coming from between the first and second marks so that
wouldn't be a good set up.. They run the blind at a cross wind or down
wind so that the dog isn't just following his nose to the bird..Plus that
would have only been about a 40 yard blind.. Your dog will only get in
trouble with the blind if it has no memory and then goes on a big hunt.
That is when the hot blind will come into play. It can get ugly when the
dog scents it and you try to cast them off of it..

Designed to evaluate an exceptional hunting dog for superior
ability, versatility and obedience in all phases of work and a variety of
hunting situations.
Don't be a liberal
ME
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby timmirvin » Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:52 am

ME....I now understand why you say the HRC was no big deal for your dog. You should come down to LA and test.........

regards.....
ti
timmirvin
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby ME » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:09 am

Yeah I'm sure that Griff of yours would ace it too :lol:

Can't be much more difficult to fall within the rules. Since there is a GSP from LA that has a HRCH ...
Don't be a liberal
ME
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Retriever Testing