Does NASTRA ?

ABHA, AFTCA, NBHA, NSTRA, UFTA, USCSDA, breed club FTs, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Does NASTRA ?

Postby MCTuna » Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:13 pm

As a NAVHDA guy this may seem like a dumb question to any of you NASTRA people, so don't rake me over the coles(please).

Does NASTRA incourage a dog not to be steady and not force broken?

What I mean by this is it seems from my research that in a timed event that you wouldn't want your dog steady to wing/shot/Fall.

I also see that the dog dosen't have to retreve to hand just 3 feet from you.

To me it seems that a NAVHDA dog wouldn't do well in NASTRA and a NASTRA dog wouldn't UT or even UPT in NAVHDA (Water asside).

Just was wondering! not saying that one is better! just realy different Games. :?: :?:
Tuna
"Sam" Grey Wynn Franklin's Freedom SDX,RDX, NAVHDA UT 1 (204)
"Delilah" Westend's Buck'n the Wind SD,NSD, NAVHDA UT 2 (200)
MCTuna
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby larue » Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:46 pm

mc,,I have not ran nstra in a awhile,,,and only for a short time,,yet broke dogs do very well in nstra,,as the judges give scores for pointing,,and a dog that is steady looks nicer in a judges eyes,,,and retrieves are scored,,and a quick clean retrieve scores the highest,,a navhda dog can do very well in nstra,,and have,,,such as vc cadens rowdy mh ,,(rest in peace),
and many others,,,
larue
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Tony » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:24 pm

A NSTRA brace is no more of a timed event than your typical AKC Gun Dog stake or NAVHDA Utility field search, 30 minutes. An outstanding NAVHDA UT dog should be very competitive in NSTRA if he has the right tools (strong point,back, and retrieve), but a top NSTRA dog would struggle in NAVHDA unless he was prepared for the whole test.
Tony
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:29 am

Since time lost to steadyness is really next to none, seems to me that the breaking dog's only real NSTRA advantages are that it can run down and catch missed birds and receive a retrieving score that a steady dog wouldn't have been afforded, and it can get in the way of shots and enjoy the average retrieve points alloted for "safeties" without having to earn them.

Sloppy retrieves are time wasters.
Rick Hall
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby alan » Mon May 03, 2004 2:57 pm

Allow me to introduce myself to ya all as this is my first ever post on this site. My name is Alan Heltemes; I live in Williston, North Dakota. I own and operate Double A Kennel where I raise train and compete with German Shorthaired Pointers. I am also a certified NSTRA judge having been honored with the ability to judge last years NSTRA National Endurance Championship. With that in mind, I hope that what I say about NSTRA does not sound as though I am some cocky know-it-all type. Rather I hope it comes across as being the voice of experience.

NSTRA in a nutshell is an awful lot like an Easter egg hunt. By that I mean it is a game of quantity over quality; the dog that finds, points and retrieves the most birds wins. By rule the scoring of the find ends when the bird is flushed. Here is where most people find a problem with the NSTRA. By rule the NSTRA defines a bird as being flushed when that bird has left it’s resting place (for the sake of time and space we’ll leave it at that). As such the dog is allowed to break with that flush and at times it can create some rather ugly dog work. If for whatever reason that bird dies not fly, (as these wind up birds so often don’t) an average retrieve score will be given. If no other retrieves are actually scored, then a bird must be thrown for a score; there is no average anymore.

Now to answer your question about an NSTRA dog in a NAVHDA Test. The NSTRA dog would in all probability not pass the fieldwork portion of the test without further training. Note: I did not say the NSTRA dog could not pass the test.

Now how would the NAVDHA dog fit into this scenario? So long as everything goes according to plan, they will do very well in the NSTRA format. However, in the case of a missed bird or one that does not fly, the NAVHDA dog will be at a disadvantage due to his higher level of training. In practice and from a bird work standpoint some of the most successful dogs that I have judged in NSTRA have been NAVHDA trained animals. However, due to the rules of NSTRA, they have not remained broke and have been allowed to break and chase those points that might otherwise get away. In closing I will say that in order to win a NSTRA trial your dog must be trained to handle (point not necessarily retrieve) every bird contact in every situation, if you don’t get them on the card, you don’t win.
Breed For Run, Train For Range
alan
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Small Munsterlander Pointers

Postby Moonster » Thu May 13, 2004 8:14 pm

Alan How do I register my SMP's so I can try NSTRA? I have a friend who really enjoys the competition. Also are there any trials in Oklahoma?
Mike Downey
Moonster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby KYgsp » Fri May 14, 2004 7:47 am

Mike,
Check out NSTRA.org, it should tell you everything you need to know from where trials are held close to you to how to get your dog eligiable to run.

If I am not mistaken all you have to have is a dog that could be registered in the FDSB or AKC. It may have changed though so it is best to check out the website, if you can't find it on there contact them and a I am sure they can send you some information.
KYgsp
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

versatile dogs in NSTRA

Postby Konza Vadasz » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:28 am

I've started registering our WV in the FDSB, through NAVHDA (the FDSB registration HAS to be done through the NAVHDA office, unless your dog is AKC.)
Hungarian Wirehaired Vizsla in KS
Konza Vadasz
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FDSB

Postby Moonster » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:26 pm

Well I have gotten Dots FDSB bakc but not yet Kates. Deb and Doug have you got yours back yet? I am about ready to start. I will have to see where the Okkie trials are. Mike
Moonster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

registrations

Postby Konza Vadasz » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:48 pm

We got Fitzko's FDSB registration back but haven't gone any further with it this summer. One of our dogs in OR is getting into NSTRA there & his owner just snet in a copy of Flanders' NAVHDA registration which evidently sufficient for NSTRA since NAVHDA qualifies them for FDSB. Flanders' owner didn't have any trouble getting him registered & is working to prepare for their first trial sometime this fall maybe.
Deb Wall
Konza Vadasz
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Deb

Postby Moonster » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:57 pm

Hi Deb did you see the Photo I posted on Kates litter? 10 pups 6 boys 4 girls all cute! the photo is up there under dogs if you cant find it there it is on the SMCNA web site www.smallmunsterlander.org
Are you going to go to the OKNAVHDA test next week?
Mike
Moonster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Konza Vadasz » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:32 pm

I'm not surprised at 10 pups, she looked like she'd swallowed a pumpkin in the picture on the OK NAVHDA website! :D I hadn't seen her litter announcement -- congratulations!!
We'll be there Sat. & for the No-Host dinner (since I'm organizing a Silent Auction of cool stuff). We're not testing any dogs though.
Hope to see you!
Deb
Konza Vadasz
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Pointing Dog Field Trialing