NSTRA Strategies?

ABHA, AFTCA, NBHA, NSTRA, UFTA, USCSDA, breed club FTs, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

NSTRA Strategies?

Postby ragsdaj » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:38 pm

I participated in two NSTRA events many years ago. One was in Michigan and the other in Indiana. In the first event my dog and the other dog went their separate ways and we split the finds, essentially taking each other out of contention. In the second outing dogs split again, my dog found one bird and the other dog found the rest. On the way back the other participant was not happy with me because I did not call his dog over to back so he could get the extra points. Now at no time was my dog ever given the opportunity to back any of his dog's finds, but beside the point.

So tell me is it luck of the draw that you are paired with an inferior dog that allows you to continue, is it best to let the dogs work together or on their own as we did in the events I participated in, what are some gentlemen protocols that demonstrates sportsmanship that should be applied both giving and receiving?

Any other observations? I really enjoyed the experience, but not sure how to prepare a dog or myself to win one of these events .

Thanks,

JonR
ragsdaj
Started
Started

Postby yawallac » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:48 pm

JonR,

I'm no expert on NSTRA but I'll share my thoughts. I competed one year and had the Carolina Region Dog of the Year and he finished in the top ten nationally.
On the way back the other participant was not happy with me because I did not call his dog over to back so he could get the extra points.
It's not your job to call his dog over. If he wants a back it's his job to get his dog there in time. There are other organizations to make friends in ...and when you start winning they don't like you anyway so don't worry about it. :D

So tell me is it luck of the draw that you are paired with an inferior dog that allows you to continue
It is luck of the draw who you are braced with, but I have won trials where we took 1st and 2nd from the same brace, so being braced with a good dog won't kill your chances. There are generally more birds out there than 5 anyway.

what are some gentlemen protocols that demonstrates sportsmanship that should be applied both giving and receiving?

Don't shoot his dog ...and that's about it. He is not your friend out there. If you want to win at this game than you have to be tough. There are some real serious players in NSTRA.

Find the birds as fast as you can. Speed is of the essense. The faster your dog can produce birds the better. Watch other braces if you can to see if there is any consistency to where the birds are being found. Bird planters can become predictable. Watch for patterns.

I always had a plan on how I wanted to work the field. I had a very fast dog so most handlers went the opposite way from me because my dog would be in front of theirs. I would say to go in a different direction then the other handler. The only time I brought my dog near his is if I wanted a back. Generally I was more interested in cleaning the bird field so I only went for a back if it presented itsself.

but not sure how to prepare a dog or myself to win one of these events .
I roaded my dog with weights for muscle and ran him on a treadmill for endurance. He would pull 75lbs. for 3 miles 3 days a week and then treadmill every other night at a fast trot for 45min. He was 68lbs. of solid muscle and came out of the 30min. birdfield just warming up. Having the dog in top physical condition is key for success. You also need to be able to move around the bird field athletically.
Any other observations?
Obviously, this isn't hunting, but it can be a fun game. You don't need to be whacko serious like I was to enjoy yourself. In fact, when I was campaigning that GSP, I also had a little Pointer bitch that I ran for "enjoyment". :D
yawallac
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ragsdaj » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:27 pm

yawallac,

Thanks for breaking this down for me. I think I can compete within the box then.

Appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions.

JonR
ragsdaj
Started
Started

Postby yawallac » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:59 pm

Hey is that a Picardy Spaniel? I haven't seen one of them in a long time!
yawallac
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ragsdaj » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:49 pm

It is a Picardy Spaniel two years removed from foreign soil! Not many folks would recognize from that picture. You are sharp as your GSP.

He is a handsome boy, but will probably not be winning any NSTRA Trials....he is very thorough though.

The female I have is the dog I hope to run. I was just looking at Arkansas and maybe could have her in shape to spend $32 dollars in March.

and a shameless plug......I have 8, 4 week old puppies driving me nuts as I type.

JonR
ragsdaj
Started
Started

Postby yawallac » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:53 pm

I cheated! I saw your post on GDF. :D

Neat looking dog. I am surprised by the high tail from a european dog. Awesome!
yawallac
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ragsdaj » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:58 pm

sometimes its high and sometimes low. It really depends on where he is at in when he stops.

If your like me at all, all pointers look great when their working!

Thanks for noticing.

JonR

P.S. I didnt notice your NAVHDA comments on my registry post. You got in while I was typing.

Back in my younger day I trained my GWPs using the greenbook. I have started a yahoo group to see if there might be interest in starting an AR chapter. I am near retirement, but not yet retired so I cant be the leader of the band at least not yet, but maybe can start identifying some folks to add up to 10 down the road.
ragsdaj
Started
Started

Where in AR

Postby Moonster » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:37 pm

Where in Arkansas are you? I am right across the border into SE OK. Mike
www.gobirddogs.com
Small Munsterlanders the little dog with a big heart.
Moonster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ragsdaj » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:32 pm

Moonster,

I am about 30 minutes south of Russellville.

JonR
ragsdaj
Started
Started

Training

Postby Moonster » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:15 am

Our OKNAVHDA chapter usually trainis near Stroud OK, and we have some folks from Arkansaw that come over and train with us. I know it is about a 4 and a half hour drive for you (it is about that for me and I am in the state!) but you are welcome to come and join us in Febuary. Mike
www.gobirddogs.com
Small Munsterlanders the little dog with a big heart.
Moonster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ragsdaj » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:22 pm

Moonster,

Thanks for the offer, but not sure I'll make it this go round. I am NAVHDA member renewed so I will start tracking events and see what I can get involved with.

JonR
ragsdaj
Started
Started

Return to Pointing Dog Field Trialing