training for NSTRA trials

ABHA, AFTCA, NBHA, NSTRA, UFTA, USCSDA, breed club FTs, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

training for NSTRA trials

Postby gwpman » Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:25 pm

I currently have opening for 2 dogs, from pups to finishing! If interested, please call 806-676-4866

Postby jim » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:53 pm

How the heck are ya Tommy-

I've been all over the country it seems and just came back from spending a year down in Southern Florida. It didn't seem right for me and my Brittanys to run arround down there with all the poiseness things. We had some alligator problems where a few women were eaten, you might have heard about it on the news, sure didn't want my big :wink: running Brittanys tangling with alligators and crocodiles. Macs and Candy and I did quite a bit of swimming in the gulf but I'm sad to say we never got out bird hunting and we're out of shape.

I started Candy real young in NSTRA and while it was a blast her picking up the bird and tossing it arround some cost us dearly, and since she has done outstanding on upland birds I couldn't see me punishing her for wanting to play with those quail who would walk off on her, not fly, and then only fly a short distance. She has always been steady to wing and shot but that never hurt us in the retrieving and judging part. You know I shoot rather quickly and those birds would drop close where she would pick it up and then toss it while looking right at me. I wasn't into force breaking her for her having a bit of fun.

I will say this though- I joined NSTRA for the fun of running her and the cleanup.

I've shot so many quail doing cleanup that it became the best hunting ever, and the other weekend I had to go to a trail for the first time in two years and do cleanup- 29 birds and I wasn't sure Candy would do very good or that I could still shoot after so long.

So I would have to say by all means join NSTRA, anyone with a registered pointing breed, and by all means get in on the cleanup of the fields before and after the days runs, it's a blast and the quail are delicious.

I remeber that sweet little GWP of yours. Hows she doing by the way.

Take care Tommy- I had to drop in and see who was still arround and it was with pleasure to see here- jim

Postby jim » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:59 pm

It's been awhile and I'm afraid I must appoligize for my above reply as after I entered it I realized that this post was for NSTRA training-

I saw Tommy here and just jumped to say to an old freind without thinking

Postby Moonster » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:15 pm

Jim Boy do I understand! I enjoyed the comments and I bet your friend did also! Mike
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Hi moon star

Postby jim » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:16 pm

can we jump to another post- you pick one and we'll meet

Return to Pointing Dog Field Trialing