Couple of NSTRA ?s

ABHA, AFTCA, NBHA, NSTRA, UFTA, USCSDA, breed club FTs, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Couple of NSTRA ?s

Postby Jared77 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:22 pm

I've never played the game (have a retriever currently) and am looking at getting involved with my next dog (versatile)

I'm wondering how much is "style" a factor? Is it simply find more birds than your brace mate?

And do dogs need to be steady to wing, shot, fall?

I appreciate it. Just something I've been wondering
I refuse to tip toe through life only to arrive safely at death
Jared77
Started
Started

Re: Couple of NSTRA ?s

Postby gwp4me2 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:42 pm

I've been to a few and have friends that run but I'm not a member. As I understand it:
Style does matter but more of a tie-breaker type thing because you are scored on a per-bird basis. If your dog finds the most birds and handles them properly you will have a very good chance of winning.
Steadiness ends once the bird moves.
Retrieves matter but just get the bird within a step. You can give multiple commands.
You also need to be able to shoot!
Even though you are in the field with another dog you are better off keeping them away from each other. You can get points for 1 back but a bird is worth much more.
A fast dog that hunts within 100 yards is better than an AA dog. The fields are 40 acres and out of bounds is a problem if the dog stays out.
Around here the v-dogs do very, very well. (gwp/dd, gsp, brits although never heard of a SP or WPG winning! speed matters)
gwp4me2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ckirsch » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:10 pm

As mentioned above, style does play a role in NSTRA. Typically, high intensity / style results in a higher point and back scores. A quick, direct retrieve scores higher than a dawdling retrieve. Ground coverage and obedience are also scored. Successful dogs are usually pretty fast, and have a competitive nature that drives them to get to birds before their brace mates. I've only run in three NSTRA trials, but had a blast, and found the other competitors to be very helpful in getting me up to speed on strategy, handling, etc. Great organization.
ckirsch
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Jared77 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:41 am

Good to know I appreciate the replies. From what I'd read it sounded like a good organization. Plus it gives me & the dog another outlet to get out and run the dog.
I refuse to tip toe through life only to arrive safely at death
Jared77
Started
Started

Postby centershots » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:59 pm

It's been years since I've run, but pretty much what was said above. Speed matters, style matters, the way the dog works the field matters, as soon as the bird flushes you want your dog on it and back. (Remember the speed factor...) Folks are happy to help, but remember once in the field its mano-a-mano. Get the birds, get the retrieve, maybe get an honor, get more birds, stay in bounds... shoot well!
George DeCosta, Jr.
www.huntinggriff.com
centershots
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby GSP Roxie » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:23 am

Im running my first event this weekend. Do you loose points for handling to much. I'm pumped about going cant wait to be apart of this. I have always watched you tube videos on the BDC and think its great.
GSP Roxie
Started
Started

Postby Camspal » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:45 pm

One other thing, a dog must have at least 1 "back" to qualify to run in a championship!
Camspal
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Dakotazeb » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:00 pm

GSP Roxie wrote:Im running my first event this weekend. Do you loose points for handling to much. I'm pumped about going cant wait to be apart of this. I have always watched you tube videos on the BDC and think its great.

You don't necessarily lose points for too much handling as long as the dog is doing what you are telling it. If not, you will lose obedience points. But, that said, I would not over handle in the field. Let the dog do it's thing.

The OP asked the question about a dog having to be steady to wing, shot & fall. The answer is "No". But for your dog to remain steady on point until you flush the bird it sure does help if the dog is steady to wing. Otherwise make sure you train the dog to remain solid until the flush.

Other than that what the other poster have said about covers it. It's a fun venue and probably the most like actual hunting of any of the field trials. Give it a try. You will find that experienced guys at the trials are always more than happy to give a newbie some friendly advice and help you get going.
Janees August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Pointing Dog Field Trialing